VOGONS

First post, by T0que_Nuk3M

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all,
I am new to these forums and joined in hopes of building a retro gaming PC that supports software from the early-to-late nineties. My ideal build would revolve around the S3 Savage4 Extreme, specifically the Diamond Stealth III S540 Extreme. I have chosen it for its high clock rate (higher than the Savage4 Pro), S3TC, good performance under DOS, and 32mb of RAM. The problem is on Ebay there are various "Stealth III S540" listings, but I don't know how to properly identify one. If anybody has this particular make and model of card, I'd like to know its model number so that I can purchase it in the future.
I apologize for being overly wordy.

Reply 1 of 8, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Buy normal one and overclock it. Extreme had 166 Mhz memory clock, so any S3 with 6ns memory should be a good candidate.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 8, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2022-03-11, 04:48:

Buy normal one and overclock it. Extreme had 166 Mhz memory clock, so any S3 with 6ns memory should be a good candidate.

This is exactly how you do it, unless the seller has photos of GPU stats there is no way to physically tell. This aside anything with Extreme/Ultra in teh name is likely to be priced well above what its actually worth to the point that unless you have cash to burn its not worth buying it.

Reply 4 of 8, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You'll just need a good picture of the memory chips on the card and look at the markings. There should be a 6 or -6 usually in the lower right corner. As long as you have adequate cooling the card should be rock solid.

Reply 6 of 8, by Grem Five

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-03-11, 06:44:
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2022-03-11, 04:48:

This is exactly how you do it, unless the seller has photos of GPU stats there is no way to physically tell. This aside anything with Extreme/Ultra in teh name is likely to be priced well above what its actually worth to the point that unless you have cash to burn its not worth buying it.

These are easy to find (or were) for under $15 and for having Extreme that did not seem overpriced.

Number_Nine_SR9_SGRAM_AGP_16_MB_DVI_S3_Savage4_Xtreme_%2886C398%29.jpg

Well if not attached to it being Diamond or having 32 megs, you can get a Number Nine SR9 the retail versions are pros with only the oem (IBM FRU 33L1618) ones being extremes.

I wanted a Diamond Stealth S540 Extreme but not ever finding one reasonably priced I gave up and got the SR9 instead

note: they say 8/16 MB but both of the ones I have are 16 MB not sure if there is a 8 MB version of this oem card.

Reply 8 of 8, by Grem Five

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2022-03-16, 02:30:

Most likely 8 megs only and it's not 166/166 Mhz model.

Actually in my post above I said they were both 16 megs but I went downstairs to double check. Oddly I was sure they were 166/166 but on checking them they reported back 160/166