VOGONS

First post, by jamesfmackenzie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have two ATi Radeon X800, PCI-e variant

Neither of them will output video signal via the DVI port (“no signal”) until Windows starts. So with a single DVI cable connected, the experience is:

1. Turn on PC
2. “No signal”
3. (after 15-20 seconds) Windows desktop appears

The VGA port works fine. I am able to access the BIOS, use DOS, play DOS games etc

So the DVI port will only work under Windows with Windows drivers loaded

Is this expected behaviour for these models? Is this something I can change with e.g. a custom firmware/BIOS? I’d like to use DVI in DOS modes if possible 😎

Reply 2 of 7, by jamesfmackenzie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had tested this on 2 different PCs with a BenQ 1080p panel

However I just switched to a different monitor (1440p Viotek panel) and it works!

Is there something "off spec" about the X800 DVI signal that makes it work with some monitors and not with others?

agent_x007 wrote on 2022-03-19, 18:06:

What motherboard/platform you have ?
What about DVI to HDMI adapter ?
What model of monitor ?

Reply 3 of 7, by jamesfmackenzie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jamesfmackenzie wrote on 2022-03-21, 11:34:
I had tested this on 2 different PCs with a BenQ 1080p panel […]
Show full quote

I had tested this on 2 different PCs with a BenQ 1080p panel

However I just switched to a different monitor (1440p Viotek panel) and it works!

Is there something "off spec" about the X800 DVI signal that makes it work with some monitors and not with others?

agent_x007 wrote on 2022-03-19, 18:06:

What motherboard/platform you have ?
What about DVI to HDMI adapter ?
What model of monitor ?

I connected the video card to capture hardware where I could reliably monitor the resolution and refresh rate

For all VESA graphics modes, the X800 XL will always output 1280x1024p@60Hz over the DVI connector. The underlying resolution is always scaled up to 1280x1024

I'm not super familiar with DVI-supported display modes, but was a bit surprised by this one - it might explain the weirdness with my monitor

Hope this helps someone in the future!

Reply 4 of 7, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are all the monitors on which the x800 does not work in DOS capable of resolution/refresh rate combinations that exceed 165MHz in terms of bandwidth ?

My guess is that there is a potential issue with the logic in the x800 BIOS not being able to deal with resolutions in the monitor EDID that require more than what DVI 1.0/first gen HDMI can handle .

It could be similar to this : Re: Widescreen monitors and 4:3 aspect ratio compatibility thread Re: Widescreen monitors and 4:3 aspect ratio compatibility thread

EDIT : To potentially test this, boot the PC with a working monitor and hotplug to one of the non-working ones . If that works, it is likely that a properly programmed EDID emulator could work around the issue.

Reply 5 of 7, by jamesfmackenzie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2022-03-22, 00:52:
Are all the monitors on which the x800 does not work in DOS capable of resolution/refresh rate combinations that exceed 165MHz i […]
Show full quote

Are all the monitors on which the x800 does not work in DOS capable of resolution/refresh rate combinations that exceed 165MHz in terms of bandwidth ?

My guess is that there is a potential issue with the logic in the x800 BIOS not being able to deal with resolutions in the monitor EDID that require more than what DVI 1.0/first gen HDMI can handle .

It could be similar to this : Re: Widescreen monitors and 4:3 aspect ratio compatibility thread Re: Widescreen monitors and 4:3 aspect ratio compatibility thread

EDIT : To potentially test this, boot the PC with a working monitor and hotplug to one of the non-working ones . If that works, it is likely that a properly programmed EDID emulator could work around the issue.

The non-working monitor is a BenQ RL2455:
https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/dba38c4

It supports 1920x1080@60Hz - not sure if that exceeds 165MHz in terms of bandwidth

If I boot with a working monitor and then hotplug into the non-working monitor ... it does work! Some other good news : if I connect through the passthrough interface on my capture card it also works

Thanks for the help! This is definitely a viable workaround! 😎

And thanks for the tip on EDID emulators too - will do some more research

Reply 6 of 7, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jamesfmackenzie wrote on 2022-03-22, 02:03:
The non-working monitor is a BenQ RL2455: https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/dba38c4 […]
Show full quote
Are all the monitors on which the x800 does not work in DOS capable of resolution/refresh rate combinations that exceed 165MHz i […]
Show full quote

It supports 1920x1080@60Hz - not sure if that exceeds 165MHz in terms of bandwidth

If I boot with a working monitor and then hotplug into the non-working monitor ... it does work! Some other good news : if I connect through the passthrough interface on my capture card it also works

Happy to help . I have been down that road before .

Actually, the BenQ RL2455 supports up to 1920x1080 at 75Hz according to this https://esupportdownload.benq.com/esupport/ES … 90430120453.pdf , which typically requires >165MHz

All "standard" timings for that resolution require at least 167MHz ( CVT-RBv2) up to over 220MHz (CVT) , as calculated with https://tomverbeure.github.io/video_timings_calculator. We would need a dump of the monitor's EDID to know exactly what timings the monitor advertises . If you want to run at 1920x1080@75Hz (or preferably 70Hz if DOS gaming is of interest ) on the x800, you might be able to use a custom resolution with reduced blanking programmed into an EDID emulator to fit within 165MHz . There is no real way to know if the x800's BIOS would like that or not without trying it . Some Nvidia cards are happy with this, others not . See 70Hz in pure DOS at 1600x1200 (or other) over DVI on an old card (FX5900) with modern monitor is possible and PSA : Fix for EDID issues with modern monitor and Geforce FX 5900 (no picture/crashes) + Siig EDID emulator software

If tweaking 1920x1080 timings >60Hz does not work with the x800, you will have to settle for 1920x1080 @ 60Hz .

EDIT : You can probably use a modified EDID to force the x800 to a 4:3 resolution in DOS if you want to avoid stretching if your monitor does not have an explicit 4:3 mode that works properly .

Good luck and have fun !

Reply 7 of 7, by jamesfmackenzie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2022-03-22, 06:38:
Happy to help . I have been down that road before . […]
Show full quote
jamesfmackenzie wrote on 2022-03-22, 02:03:
The non-working monitor is a BenQ RL2455: https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/dba38c4 […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

Happy to help . I have been down that road before .

Actually, the BenQ RL2455 supports up to 1920x1080 at 75Hz according to this https://esupportdownload.benq.com/esupport/ES … 90430120453.pdf , which typically requires >165MHz

All "standard" timings for that resolution require at least 167MHz ( CVT-RBv2) up to over 220MHz (CVT) , as calculated with https://tomverbeure.github.io/video_timings_calculator. We would need a dump of the monitor's EDID to know exactly what timings the monitor advertises . If you want to run at 1920x1080@75Hz (or preferably 70Hz if DOS gaming is of interest ) on the x800, you might be able to use a custom resolution with reduced blanking programmed into an EDID emulator to fit within 165MHz . There is no real way to know if the x800's BIOS would like that or not without trying it . Some Nvidia cards are happy with this, others not . See 70Hz in pure DOS at 1600x1200 (or other) over DVI on an old card (FX5900) with modern monitor is possible and PSA : Fix for EDID issues with modern monitor and Geforce FX 5900 (no picture/crashes) + Siig EDID emulator software

If tweaking 1920x1080 timings >60Hz does not work with the x800, you will have to settle for 1920x1080 @ 60Hz .

EDIT : You can probably use a modified EDID to force the x800 to a 4:3 resolution in DOS if you want to avoid stretching if your monitor does not have an explicit 4:3 mode that works properly .

Good luck and have fun !

Thanks for all the help here! Lots to try 😎