VOGONS

NV1 questions

Topic actions

First post, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Having recently got a Matrox M3D I started thinking about the other card with Sega exclusive software, the Nvidia NV1. I know from videos that the quality isn't even up to the software versions of many games, but the added gourad shading in Virtua Fighter looks impressive. I'm also planning to do some videos comparing Sega arcade games with their various PC ports, so owning an NV1 might be nice.

Anyway, onto the elephant in the room: cost! There are a few cards-only on eBay listed between £300-£340 range, with one awesome boxed 2200XL example (including the rare Daytona USA NV1 version) listed at £1200! The seller let me know he has some card-only 2200s and 3240s for £250/£350 respectively.

I also saw (and bidded on) a 3240XL at the weekend on Yahoo auctions in Japan, but that too went for almost £350.

Is this the going rate these days for NV1's? Apart from eBay and Yahoo Japan, are there any other places people suggest? I looked at amibay but it seems perpetually broken, not allowing new people to sign up for it.

Secondly (importantly), would the card even run on Windows 98SE on a Pentium 4, or would that be a bit too modern? The Matrox M3D works with that.

Cheers!

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 1 of 7, by MrSmiley381

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

From what I've heard the rendering perspective in Virtua Fighter Remix is a little funky in the PC version. I also hear most of the games look worse with NV1 rendering and that it really only shines in very low power PC's where they can't reliably use software rendering. That being said, let none of that stop you; it's your PC with the 3D API's you want 😁
That price range for loose cards sounds "about right" when it comes to unique oddball hardware. Personally, I'm surprised there's more than one available right now. If it's the sort of thing where you really want it, you're going to pay the price for it. I wouldn't spend more than the current loose price. I do bet the boxed one looks nice.
Not sure if either 98SE or a Pentium 4 will have issues with it. Again, this card is pretty old as far as 3D accelerators go. I have a spot an NV1 could take and it's in a k6-III+ machine. The M3D is from the same era but has a much, much higher potential than the NV1. Sorry I don't have anything more useful on the more important question!

I spend my days fighting with clunky software so I can afford to spend my evenings fighting with clunky hardware.

Reply 2 of 7, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got my hands on a 3240! Found one on eBay France that wasn't as much crazy money 😁

Will shuffle out the Rage Pro 128 and Matrox M3D and see how it goes, when it arrives in a couple of weeks.

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 3 of 7, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In the meantime, if any NV1 owners are reading this, I'm only getting a card with no software. Whilst I have a retail copy of Virtua Cop, I'd love to get copies of (in particular) Virtua Fighter Remix and Daytona USA, Panzer Dragoon would be nice but not essential as I already have the software version and Remake.

Reply 4 of 7, by willow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
VirtuaIceMan wrote on 2022-03-22, 13:03:

In the meantime, if any NV1 owners are reading this, I'm only getting a card with no software. Whilst I have a retail copy of Virtua Cop, I'd love to get copies of (in particular) Virtua Fighter Remix and Daytona USA, Panzer Dragoon would be nice but not essential as I already have the software version and Remake.

Vetz have tested nv1 card and some game.

Reply 5 of 7, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah I spoke to him, hopefully he can help but I know he's pretty busy at the moment.

Reply 6 of 7, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'll be trying my 3240 card tonight. I think I'll uninstall the ATI Rage Pro 128 and Matrox M3D first.

But I have no idea if it'll work nicely on my Pentium 4 3.2GHz Extreme Edition; I've seen people running the card on 600MHz Pentium 3 but not sure about something a step above that!

Cross fingers 😁