VOGONS

First post, by badconduct

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think I got a short in my system somewhere when I booted it up yesterday. At first the screen was full of artifacts but it was booting, I tested a new card, then put it back and it wasn't recognized by the monitor.
I tried the VGA port and it runs fine, than I ran a 3DMark 01 loop and there was no artifacts, fps issues or crashing. The monitor won't detect the DVI at all.

These cards are hard to find, so replacing it isn't going to be an easy task...

Does anyone know the technical side of how the DVI port functions? Maybe I can swap a part to get it back running. I don't know if it would be a capacitor...?
I have a FX5700 that seems dead, I could potentially take parts from it.

I may take the heatsink off the card and take a physical look at it, but I need to order some new thermal pads, I imagine they are used on the VRAM.

Reply 2 of 5, by badconduct

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2022-03-27, 13:06:

Can you post pictures of your card, specifically the area between GPU and the ports?
A picture looking into the port may be also helpful.

Have you tried a different DVI cable btw?

now would you believe that the cable on the back of the monitor wasn't screwed it and was just loose...?
Haha... no way I'd make that mistake... haha
fades into the darkness

Reply 3 of 5, by Donovan V.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
badconduct wrote on 2022-03-27, 14:19:
... now would you believe that the cable on the back of the monitor wasn't screwed it and was just loose...? Haha... no way I'd […]
Show full quote

Can you post pictures of your card, specifically the area between GPU and the ports?

now would you believe that the cable on the back of the monitor wasn't screwed it and was just loose...?
fades into the darkness

Haahahahahahahha. Well, at least you didnt fry your card. I know of a moron in the mirror who didnt properly seat an AGP card all the way in the socket and fried it, years ago. -allarroundmearefamiliarfaces.mp3-

Reply 4 of 5, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badconduct wrote on 2022-03-27, 14:19:
... now would you believe that the cable on the back of the monitor wasn't screwed it and was just loose...? Haha... no way I'd […]
Show full quote

fades into the darkness

badconduct, more like badconduction amirite?😉
Seriously though: Glad the problem was an easy fix!😃👍

Reply 5 of 5, by badconduct

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If I fried this card 5 years ago, I probably wouldn't be too concerned.
I've just recently realized how difficult it is and how expensive it is these days to find parts for these old PC's.

Although I'm starting to consider dropping back to the Voodoo3 and switching over to Glide. The performance gains from the "Best AGP 2X card" on the PIII 550 seem none existent in actual games, and in fact, might have a lot of compatibility issues with older titles running in 98SE instead of XP.