VOGONS

First post, by Donovan V.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, I recently noticed -allright, I had noticed a long time ago but wasnt curious enough to ask - that some TV transmissions have what I can only distinguish as some data blocks on top of them. they are mostly visible when the horizontal sync is lost and the picture scrolls. So my question is... can anyone tell me what they are, if they are a standard and you know... give me an introduction to them? Thanks.

Reply 1 of 11, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Videotext? 🙂

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 11, by Donovan V.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2022-03-31, 10:56:

Hmmm... I dont know about that. I know that the VBlanking has been since forever in NTSC/PAL but there is something in there, some data... I want to know more. Not every program has it but interestingly enough, some DVD's DO have it as part of the analog signal.

Reply 5 of 11, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Might be subtitles.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 6 of 11, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Teletext

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 7 of 11, by Donovan V.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
weedeewee wrote on 2022-03-31, 20:04:

Teletext

Ok. It turns out it is Closed Captioning. I didnt know that. I thought it was some other sort of signal like RDS in radios and things of that sort. Im guessing that is also an option too.

Reply 8 of 11, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Donovan V. wrote on 2022-03-31, 16:45:
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2022-03-31, 10:56:

Hmmm... I dont know about that. I know that the VBlanking has been since forever in NTSC/PAL but there is something in there, some data... I want to know more. Not every program has it but interestingly enough, some DVD's DO have it as part of the analog signal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teletext#Data_transmission

teletext was coded inside Vertical_blanking_interval, as were captions. There was even a group reconstructing old Teletext from TV programs recorded on VHS https://www.alphr.com/life-culture/1002880/th … -from-the-dead/

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 9 of 11, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Donovan V. wrote on 2022-04-01, 04:36:

Teletext

Ok. It turns out it is Closed Captioning. I didnt know that. I thought it was some other sort of signal like RDS in radios and things of that sort. Im guessing that is also an option too.

In ATSC there's the program guide data, but that should come through on analog.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 10 of 11, by Donovan V.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Allright. Thank you all who gave me an Idea of what was in there. It turns out... SMPTE signals can be embbeded there. There is Closed Captioning and the ones I think I was confused by were the boxes for Macrovision. Of course, there is Teletext but i've never seen one in the wild because, I live in a region were NTSC reigns supreme and we never had it. (I never had Closed Captioning until recently, but I am in this case, speaking about my childhood and seeing those blocks on a broadcast, not knowing what they were)

I am now curious, if there is any application to embed Closed Captions on video that doesnt cost an arm, a leg and your firstborn... hmmm... Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Reply 11 of 11, by Donovan V.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-04-01, 14:47:
Donovan V. wrote on 2022-04-01, 04:36:

Teletext

In ATSC there's the program guide data, but that should come through on analog.

That sounds interesting. Honestly I am not versed enough on ATSC (im not much of a tv guy nowadays) to properly understand it. As far as I am aware is an Mpeg stream over an analog carrier, much like analog video BUT the signal is a digital compressed rather than analog modulation right?