VOGONS

First post, by Jason21

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For best DOS compatibility / quality, which is preferred?

I have a Diamond Stealth 2000 3D Virge 86C325 2MB.
My motherboard has SiS530 / SiS 6306 2D/3D integrated AGP graphics with 8mb + Pentium 233 MMX

I'm planning to pair it with a Monster 3D Voodoo 2 card, and it will be mainly a DOS gaming PC. I know the 3D isn't great on the SIS, but not really a concern/ won't be used.

A consideration is I only have 2 PCI / 1 ISA slot (for SB32). It might be nice to swap the CF and boot into Windows 98SE once and a while in which case I'd want a NIC, and would have to shuffle around the cards. But if the Virge card is best for DOS gaming I'd stick with that.

Reply 1 of 1, by the3dfxdude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think you kind of already answered your question. You are slot limited, and sometimes want to boot Win98SE with a network card installed.

Both cards are plenty for DOS. Both have their perks. I remember when the SiS 530 was new, and was a decent integrated video solution (AGP!) for people who didn't want to spend extra for a video card. It's a bit newer than the S3 and will give you better desktop resolutions in Windows. So I'd start there since it's already onboard.

If you are asking for complete DOS compatibility, I'd just check the games you are most concerned about. There aren't too many problems abound, but someone can give you a chart to check for known issues.