VOGONS

First post, by Enterra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I've been working for quite awhile to get the parts together for this build... now I find myself in a bit of a quandary. I'll first lay out my parts list and I'll then lay out the decision to be made.

P1 233
Hynix 128MB PC133 (x 2)(256mb)
ASUS P5A Rev 1.06
SIIG UltraATA/133 PCI PC ATA Drive Controller
8gb Transcend CF170 OR 4GB Transcend CF300
CF to IDE Adapter
StarTech.com 3.5" to 5.25" Front Bay Adapter
TEAC 3.5" Floppy Drive
StarTech.com 50x50x41mm Socket 7/370 CPU Cooler
StarTech 24-pin Female to 20-pin Male ATX Power Supply Adapter (x 2)
PowerSpec 650W 80 Plus Bronze (Semi Mod)
Thermaltake v100

Its possible I've left something out.... Hmmm I'll double check after I finish the post.

I have several cards that are available to me to consider as my graphics solution... any advice as to what would be the best option for the system would be most welcome!
3DFX Voodoo 3 2000 16MB AGP
Maxi Gamer 3d2 Voodoo 2 PCI
S3 Virge/DX s3-375/775 4MB (possible 2d card to pair with the Voodoo 2?)
Radeon 9800 Pro 128m AGP
Geforce 4 MX440 AGP
Rage 128 Ultra AGP

Reply 1 of 9, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What games are you intending to play? Except for the Virge, the P233 will be a significant bottleneck. Also, unless there is something great about the 1.06 revision I don't know about, 128MB is the most RAM the ALI V chipset can cache. 128MB is more than ample for games of this period as it is.

I think the Radeon 9800 Pro is out of the question for this board as it is AGP 8x.

So, either the Voodoo3 or the MX440 are your go to 3d cards for maximum DOS and DirectX compatibility, least hassle, and best performance. If you decide to jump up to a K6-2 or even a K6-III, so much the better.

If you want a more period correct feel and want some of your games to chug along like the old days - Virge and Voodoo2 - with the Pentium still holding the Voodoo2 back, heh. You'll still get pretty good performance in games like Turok, Age of Empires, Forsaken, and Quake, though.

helpful links:
https://www.ultimateretro.net/en/motherboards/858
https://gona.mactar.hu/DOS_TESTS/

Last edited by Meatball on 2022-04-08, 02:49. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 9, by Enterra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Meatball wrote on 2022-04-08, 02:37:
What games are you intending to play? Except for the Virge, the P233 will be a significant bottleneck. Also, unless there is s […]
Show full quote

What games are you intending to play? Except for the Virge, the P233 will be a significant bottleneck. Also, unless there is something great about the 1.06 revision I don't know about, 128MB is the most RAM the ALI V chipset can cache. 128MB is more than ample for games of this period as it is.

So, either the Voodoo3 or the MX440 are your go to 3d cards for maximum DOS and DirectX compatibility, least hassle, and best performance. If you decide to jump up to a K6-2 or even a K6-III, so much the better.

helpful links:
https://www.ultimateretro.net/en/motherboards/858
https://gona.mactar.hu/DOS_TESTS/

Hey and thanks for the reply!

This particular version of the board actually has 1mb L2 cache rather than the typical 512k and because of this can handle to the full 256mb of ram as I understand it! It doesn't seem to be a common version so I was happy to find it! I'll probably test it with and without just to make sure there isn't a performance hit, though.

I'm aware that none of these cards are quite right for this system... I believe the typical goto is a Voodoo 1 with an g200 or s3. I appreciate you making the recommendation. I'm going to be playing a wide variety of games so I'm looking for the best performance and widest compatibility. With that in mind which would you prefer between the MX440 or Voodoo3?

Reply 3 of 9, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I suppose one other option you have is to use the MX440 with a Voodoo2. Then you can have your cake (DirectX/OpenGL) and eat it, too (Glide). I'm partial to the Voodoo3, but I hear many around here just love their MX440s. I do like the Rage 128 Ultras, also, but with better options, it's just kind of there.. Poor guy can never get off of the bench...

I'd try all of these combinations - might as well enjoy all of the options you have:

S3 + Voodoo2
MX440 + Voodoo2
Voodoo3
Rage 128 Ultra + Voodoo2??? (just for extra fun, but if you are planning heavy DOS - skip it)

Reply 4 of 9, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeh I'm with meatball
If the Voodoo 3 is doing nothing I'd probably go with that. You get good dos compatibility, glide which this era is all about and it's D3D capabilities should be fine for anything that runs on a P233
Or you could go with the S3 Virge + Voodoo 2. the Voodoo 2 may be a bit more compatible depending on which dos games your wanting to play and the virge opens up S3D games from this list.
3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)

Reply 5 of 9, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

GeForce 4 MX will be slower, due to driver overhead, but has access to nicer picture quality - Intel 430HX L2 256Kb VS Intel 430HX L2 512Kb VS Intel 430TX L2 512Kb - Motherboards comparison

You can combine it with Voodoo 2, as mentioned above.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 6 of 9, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi & welcome.

Nothing wrong with a bit of trivia, but be aware that nothing beyond the 3rd line of you initial spec sheet would have any significance on the VGA question.
- which I know after parsing through nine more lines of cryptic technese 😉

I you are to use some more pixels on occasions like this, rather include chipset and basic setup of the motherboard.
This one is almost famous, but "Ali SS7" would basically have sufficed to fully qualify your rig for the purpose.

But, by the way, please don't tell me you purchased a 650 W semi-modular ATX PSU new and specifically for a p1 retro machine.
I mean, it will do the job and might be borderline more reliable than a much older one, but keep in mind that the 80 plus rating is unspecified for loads below 20 %. The 233 MHz P1 has roughly 15 Watts, IIRC.
So, unless you're planning to install some kind of 5.25" bay coffee machine, it would be a waste of a perfectly good recent PSU.
And, think meatball is right, if 256 MB of RAM is indeed being cached and you owned it already, awesome. But if not, the money for the second 128 MB would have been better invested in black jack and, uhm, booze.

Sorry, on topic:

- The Virge + V2 combo is the only period correct, yep.
But, assuming the Virge to be PCI, it's a waste of a perfectly good AGP slot. Then your Mobo might as well be some ancient intel Triton or VIA VP piece.
Also, you'll need those PCI slots for the second sound card, the fast ethernet NIC and the USB 2.0 option 😉
You might also combine the V2 with a really good AGP 2D card, Matrox maybe.

- If I had no other use for it, I'd go with the V3 any time.
It could do more on a faster machine but it's still somewhat authentic on a S7.

- Geforce 2/4 MX: Sure - so abundant, won't be missed elseware.

- Future options: If not a voodoo, think the context says "Riva TNT" of some variant.

I like jumpers.

Reply 7 of 9, by Enterra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-04-08, 13:21:
Hi & welcome. […]
Show full quote

Hi & welcome.

Nothing wrong with a bit of trivia, but be aware that nothing beyond the 3rd line of you initial spec sheet would have any significance on the VGA question.

I you are to use some more pixels on occasions like this, rather include chipset and basic setup of the motherboard.
This one is almost famous, but "Ali SS7" would basically have sufficed to fully qualify your rig for the purpose.

But, by the way, please don't tell me you purchased a 650 W semi-modular ATX PSU new and specifically for a p1 retro machine.
I mean, it will do the job and might be borderline more reliable than a much older one, but keep in mind that the 80 plus rating is unspecified for loads below 20 %. The 233 MHz P1 has roughly 15 Watts, IIRC.
So, unless you're planning to install some kind of 5.25" bay coffee machine, it would be a waste of a perfectly good recent PSU.
And, think meatball is right, if 256 MB of RAM is indeed being cached and you owned it already, awesome. But if not, the money for the second 128 MB would have been better invested in black jack and, uhm, booze.

Sorry, on topic:

But, assuming the Virge to be PCI, it's a waste of a perfectly good AGP slot. Then your Mobo might as well be some ancient intel Triton or VIA VP piece.
Also, you'll need those PCI slots for the second sound card, the fast ethernet NIC and the USB 2.0 option 😉

- Future options: If not a voodoo, think the context says "Riva TNT" of some variant.

Thank you so much for the reply! I know I over shared on the specs... but I think we all enjoy sharing the details of what we are doing on a site like this 😀

That said, you're probably right on the PSU. I didn't have any older units laying around though and I got this on a good sale so no real concerns there.

I believe I am going to go with the voodoo 3 when it gets back from being borrowed. I am currently playing with the MX440. I can't seem to locate a way to download its newest drivers, though. (81.98) When attempting to download from https://www.nvidia.com/content/DriverDownload … us&type=GeForce it 404's.

Anyone have a line on these drivers? I saw the w2k/xp driver on the vogonsdrivers page, but not the 9x version. 😒

Reply 8 of 9, by pancakepuppy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Enterra wrote on 2022-04-11, 18:58:
Thank you so much for the reply! I know I over shared on the specs... but I think we all enjoy sharing the details of what we ar […]
Show full quote
Hi & welcome. […]
Show full quote

Hi & welcome.

Sorry, on topic:

Thank you so much for the reply! I know I over shared on the specs... but I think we all enjoy sharing the details of what we are doing on a site like this 😀

That said, you're probably right on the PSU. I didn't have any older units laying around though and I got this on a good sale so no real concerns there.

I believe I am going to go with the voodoo 3 when it gets back from being borrowed. I am currently playing with the MX440. I can't seem to locate a way to download its newest drivers, though. (81.98) When attempting to download from https://www.nvidia.com/content/DriverDownload … us&type=GeForce it 404's.

Anyone have a line on these drivers? I saw the w2k/xp driver on the vogonsdrivers page, but not the 9x version. 😒

https://www.philscomputerlab.com/nvidia-9x-gr … cs-drivers.html Phil's has a good selection of these 😀

Reply 9 of 9, by Enterra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
pancakepuppy wrote on 2022-04-11, 19:36:
Enterra wrote on 2022-04-11, 18:58:
Thank you so much for the reply! I know I over shared on the specs... but I think we all enjoy sharing the details of what we ar […]
Show full quote
Hi & welcome. […]
Show full quote

Hi & welcome.

Sorry, on topic:

https://www.philscomputerlab.com/nvidia-9x-gr … cs-drivers.html Phil's has a good selection of these 😀

Thanks! I was able to find what I needed! 😀 Started a new post for the next problem 🤣