VOGONS

First post, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi everyone,

I've got a few questions regarding the VLB and PCI versions of the ER4000 line.:

I'd like to know how they differ from the ET4000AX (drivers, demo scene support) and if the mode utility still works,
i.e., if a W32 model can switch to Hercules or CGA emulation mode.

- I've looked for the datasheets before pisting this, but the connection to these dataheet sites failed.

Best regards,
Jo22

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 1 of 3, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ET4000/W32 mostly have a very bad image quality. Jailbars all over the place. Not every card but almost every one.
ET4000AX have a better image quality, best on diamond cards.
I can't tell you something about hercules/cga emulation, but I can tell you that EGA does not work in some cases. e.g. BHC, scrolling is broken, effects are broken.
An ET4000 is good for an old 286 because textmode-vga, EGA and VGA16color-modes are centered on TFT. VGA 256-colormode is slightly 3-5mm off right on TFT.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 2 of 3, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've tried some W32i and W32p cards - register-level CGA and Hercules modes didn't work.
RIXAI, however, did work, providing AI-level 8514/A compatibility.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 3 of 3, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've just learned more about the differences.
There also was an older Tseng ET4000C, even! 😃

However, demos like Copper that required an ET4000 were meant not only for the ET4000AX, but expected a specific revision of it (TC6058AF)..

Here's an old thread in which h-a-l-9000 mentioned it (please don't necro post).
Re: Copper Demo

That makes me wonder, do you guys had similar experience in the past?

Edit: I mean, did you come across games/applications that didn't work with the W32, but an older AX or C version?

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//