Rank
Oldbie
haker120 wrote on 2022-07-13, 18:26:

So maybe I should hunt for something else then too? Like mentioned Radeon? 😀

Questions to ask if you should buy a Radeon 7500 (YES/NO):

Do you need an excuse to buy something? YES
Do you need good DOS support? NO
Do you need good 2D support? YES
Do you want to build around 99-01 System (which would be strong around 99, but weak around 01)? YES
Do you want to collect one? YES
Do you plan to run your games at 32bit color? YES
Do you need a primary GPU to pair with a PowerVR or Voodoo2? YES
Will you expend effort to identify which cards are knee-capped OEM models and even cards sellers have misidentified? (NO if not - YES if so)

Good luck getting one in PCI. Maybe you know someone locally. There's 2 listed on eBay US (but maybe other country sites have more). One is priced crazy at $249. The other is NOT a Radeon 7500 - it's a 7000 (which is a 64-bit memory interface version - OK for a Pentium MMX machine, but it is misrepresented in the listing). <-- This is the kind of trouble you're going to run into looking for ATI cards of this era.

Reply 43 of 50, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Out of curiosity what games don’t work well in Dos on the 7500 I’m curious to try them.

If you did decide that you wanted one I keep an eye out for them on eBay and I can let you know when I see one

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 44 of 50, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Gona didn't have the Radeon 7500 card to test with for his DOS compatibility list, but all of the ATI cards has scrolling problems with Commander Keen (that game gets often mentioned), Jurassic Park and Prehistorik.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 45 of 50, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For Pentium 1 systems there are a few chips that are good for early Windows non 3D gaming by Matrox, Tseng ET6000, Cirrus Logic, and ATI.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 46 of 50, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gmlb256 wrote on 2022-07-13, 21:51:

Gona didn't have the Radeon 7500 card to test with for his DOS compatibility list, but all of the ATI cards has scrolling problems with Commander Keen (that game gets often mentioned), Jurassic Park and Prehistorik.

Terminator: SkyNET (and Future Shock) with the SkyNET VGA Upgrade are unplayable, also, with the Radeon 7500. The HUD is all screwed up splitting the screen in half horizontally. 320x200 works, but it is slow. I know people mention this engine is a mess, but it runs superb on a Voodoo3, Virge DX/GX, and Trident ProVidia 9685 - all of which I have tested.

The following probably doesn't need to be said (and this isn't directed toward you or anyone in particular, I'm just adding to the thread topic); the larger point is surely there will be games which work, but the odds decrease using the Radeon 7500 (or just about any ATI Rage card and later) for DOS. I do love the ATI cards from Rage to Radeon 8500 - but for me they always seem to be eternal benchwarmers because of better performing alternatives.

Reply 47 of 50, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The only other thing I could think of you doing is getting a super socket 7 motherboard and putting a very direct 3d compatible card in the agp slot , maybe a geforce of some sort , then having your s3 trio card in a pci slot connected to the voodoo 1 in another slot.

Most motherboards should let you boot from pci or agp. I did something like this for my slot 1 pc , but I'd imagine it should work with a super socket 7 as well.

Reply 49 of 50, by Kruton 9000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You have perfect DOS machine already. You needn't do anything just leave it as is. Maybe some minor polishing. I'm building something like that now and will be happy when i complete it (need recapping some parts).