VOGONS

First post, by Winman486

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I have a Compaq Voodoo 3 1000 with the 5ns ram it has no cooler but I just ordered one for it that has adhesive tape to hold the cooler on. Can I flash it with the 3000 bios so it runs at that speed without having to overclock it into every system I put it in? Also, should I get ram heatsinks if so anyone have a good link?

x515xx-5.png

Reply 1 of 7, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As far as I know, there is no V3 3000 AGP with SGRAM memory. So the only choice is to modify the current BIOS.
Also the V3 1000 is not exacly great overclocker, IIRC it runs at lower voltage than 2k or 3k. So it may not hit 166 MHz at all.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 2 of 7, by Winman486

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
havli wrote on 2022-07-13, 19:55:

As far as I know, there is no V3 3000 AGP with SGRAM memory. So the only choice is to modify the current BIOS.
Also the V3 1000 is not exacly great overclocker, IIRC it runs at lower voltage than 2k or 3k. So it may not hit 166 MHz at all.

Any way to up the voltage?

x515xx-5.png

Reply 3 of 7, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Lucky! The one I picked up has 5.5ns RAM. I was able to overclock stable at 157.5MHz, and that was with a smallish heatsink adhesively applied and a fan pointing toward it. No heatsinks on the RAM, either. I'll apply better heatsinks at some point.

Make sure you put a heatsink on the backside where the graphics processor is located. It gets SUPER hot.

Reply 4 of 7, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Winman486 wrote on 2022-07-13, 20:38:

I have never done it. But should be possible by modifying the voltage regulator circuit. On these cards it is fairly simple.

Reply 5 of 7, by Winman486

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
havli wrote on 2022-07-13, 21:15:
Winman486 wrote on 2022-07-13, 20:38:

I have never done it. But should be possible by modifying the voltage regulator circuit. On these cards it is fairly simple.

Well, I have a broken 3000 I could just swap the voltage regulator.

x515xx-5.png

Reply 6 of 7, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Swapping the regulators won't help - they are adjustable and therefore the same on both cards. Just with different output settings for V3 1000 and 3000. The settings are determined by resistors. Check the datasheet. https://www.digchip.com/datasheets/parts/data … Z1582CM-pdf.php

Reply 7 of 7, by ChrisK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Should be no more than a single resistor to change.
There's some 3dfx datasheet around which states the different core voltages the graphics chips use when I remember correctly.
The databook here
https://www.vgamuseum.info/index.php/companie … x-voodoo-3-3000
should have the values.
But no guarantee it works.