First post, by duboisea
Recently I have been on a hunt for a good PCI graphics card. I have a Socket 7 with a 233 MMX and 64 MB of SDRAM. My goal was to play late DOS Games (Doom, Heretic, Hexen, Blood, Wolf 3D) and some Windows 95 games (AoE 2, Quake 3 and Dark Forces 2)
I tried all of these GPUS, and all had different issues.
* Radeon 9250 (Didn't POST)
* Voodoo 3 (Poor picture quality in DOS games)
* Geforce FX 5200 (Issues in DOS games)
* NVIDIA Riva TNT2 M64 (Poor picture quality in DOS games)
* ATI Rage 128 Pro (Didn't POST)
Early on someone accidentally sent me a G450. I have come to really love this card. It has great picture quality, runs cool, Windows 95 drivers work great and VGA/DVI output. So if you are in the market for a PCI graphics card for your Win 95/98 check out the Matrox G450. They are affordable and I am really happy with mine. Quake 3 needs heavy optimizing to run at 35 FPS, but now that I have it all working I am really happy.