VOGONS

First post, by GodModule

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A small black rectangle inductor marked with 150k fell of the back of my Voodoo 3 3500, is it screwed?

-edit-

In one system (440bx), it wont post. There's 1 long beep 2 short beeps and no display . In another system (i815) it seems to post and run just fine.

Last edited by GodModule on 2022-10-12, 18:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 8, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GodModule wrote on 2022-10-11, 18:57:

A small black rectangle (SMD?) resistor marked with 150k fell of the back of my Voodoo 3 3500, is it screwed?

-edit-

In one system, it wont post. There's 1 long beep 2 short beeps and no display . In another system it seems to post and run just fine.

Which resistor is it? Pictures are always helpful too.

Reply 2 of 8, by Benedikt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A small black rectangle (SMD?) resistor marked with 150k fell of the back of my Voodoo 3 3500, is it screwed?

Nah, it's typically soldered. 😜

Reply 3 of 8, by GodModule

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2022-10-12, 09:49:

-edit-

In one system, it wont post. There's 1 long beep 2 short beeps and no display . In another system it seems to post and run just fine.

Which resistor is it? Pictures are always helpful too.

oOf3X77

https://imgur.com/a/oOf3X77

I believe it's this one

5GljjHN

https://imgur.com/a/5GljjHN

Reply 5 of 8, by GodModule

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
vstrakh wrote on 2022-10-12, 18:03:

That's an inductor, not resistor.
Power goes through it, so unless it's feeding some external connector, it's a required component.

Ah right, I'm completely clueless when it comes to PCBs and components. I found another Vogon thread with the same issue

Re: Can someone help me with this damaged Voodoo3 3500TV?

How would one with no soldering abilities go about fixing this? Is there a residential Vogon soldering guru willing to help?

Reply 6 of 8, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Depending on your location I'm sure somebody is willing to solder the inductor back on.
If you're in Germany I can offer my help for the cost of shipping.
If you're outside of Germany it's probably not worth the cost.

Reply 7 of 8, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GodModule wrote on 2022-10-12, 18:18:

How would one with no soldering abilities go about fixing this? Is there a residential Vogon soldering guru willing to help?

Your best bet might be to find a local repair shop that specializes in electronic repair that could solder it back on.

It's not a particularly difficult repair, but if you've never done soldering before, trying to resolder an SMD component could cause more issues than not.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 8 of 8, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Shponglefan wrote on 2022-10-12, 19:24:
GodModule wrote on 2022-10-12, 18:18:

Your best bet might be to find a local repair shop that specializes in electronic repair that could solder it back on.

It's not a particularly difficult repair, but if you've never done soldering before, trying to resolder an SMD component could cause more issues than not.

I did that when a surface mount component fell off a Geforce FX 5900 . It cost me like 15 or 20$.