VOGONS

First post, by epictronics

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

I have an unidentified graphics card in my collection.
I can't use it because I don't know how to set the switch block.
Anyhow, I just watched the 8-bit guy's "super CGA" video and It's very similar to his EGA Wonder 800.
Does anyone know what this card is?

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    Filename
    2.jpg
    File size
    906.05 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • 1.jpg
    Filename
    1.jpg
    File size
    1.8 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

YouTube

Reply 1 of 5, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's a typical Super EGA card (the original EGA card doesn't have the 25MHz oscillator). Likely it has a 640x480 mode or something like that in addition to the standard modes. In my experience, most of the Super EGA cards use dip switch settings compatible with the original IBM EGA card, so I recommend trying switch settings as documented by IBM. You will notice that no IBM-documented switch setting has both SW4 and SW3 set to the "off" position. If your card needs a dedicated switch setting to enable super-EGA modes, it is usually off,off,on,on.

Reply 3 of 5, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

IBM 5151 (MDA monitor) is known to be easily damaged by incorrect input signal.
But no such warnings about IBM 5153 (CGA) or 5154 (EGA).

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 4 of 5, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
epictronics wrote on 2022-12-10, 21:31:

Is it safe to connect an IBM MDA/CGA/EGA CRT if I get the switches in the wrong position?

As Grzyb said: No experiments with the MDA monitor (5151), please. If you have a scope, you can verify the sync frequencies instead of connecting a monitor. Expected sync signals for MDA/CGA/EGA are described (and scope images linked) at https://www.minuszerodegrees.net/mda_cga_ega/mda_cga_ega.htm .

Reply 5 of 5, by epictronics

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the warning.
It seems I made a good choice not to test the card blindly.
I'll do some tests with the scope while trying out the switch block settings for the IBM EGA card.

Many thanks

YouTube