VOGONS

First post, by BomfunkAnDs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
New to the community after being advised to come here as it helped so many other people!
I have gone on a journey this past couple of years, rebuilding my absolute favourite PC for that nostalgia kick we all crave! The Packard Bell IConnect 1100 was to be mine again.
I have managed to find literally every original part, mostly by pure luck and by other computer nostalgia freaks such as myself.
The information I can give you is as follows;

The original spec consisted of motherboard GIGABYTE GA-6WMM7 REV 4.1.

I found the online manual for when I was putting it together, if it is of any use;

https://download1.gigabyte.com/Files/Manual/m … 368413b8b1ea43b

Other details include;

Chipset: INTEL 810
Processor: INTEL CELERON 633MHz (Socket 370)
RAM: 64MB SDR SD-RAM (1x 168-Pin DIMM)
Hard Drive(s): 15GB PATA 3.5" (Replacement: 80GB PATA 3.5")
Optical Drive(s): CD-ROM PATA 5.25"
Graphics: Integrated (Intel)
Audio: Integrated (Intel)

I followed these closely and managed to organise all of it. The hard drive was the only part that will be different.
The computer runs and it is all together and I am so close to having it how I want it. I originally put Win98 on, but decided ME needed to go on for the true nostalgia (yes yes, I know the OS isn't exactly the desired).

Now, the only issue I have now is that I have recently struggled to sort out improving the resolution - it’s only giving an option of 640x680 on the 'scroll'. The monitor is the original A726 and I have looked for drivers etc, many not worked, but I have finally reached a point where when looking to update when searching, it asked for “NEC CI Monitors Installation Disc“, in particular the “a726nci.icm”. I think this is the key to allow me to have a better resolution, or apparently I’ve been told this won’t help. I have tried searching for the above disc and failed miserably. Any suggestions?! I would also be eternally greatful for the knowledge of the community to help me find the cure for what will be a HUGE achievement.

Cheers!

Reply 1 of 9, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hello and welcome,
I did see your other post so not sure if this will be up to your level of detail but if your happy to use the built in standard monitor driver. I've had to install 1 size larger then what I was actually after, so if your wanting 800x600 Then install the 1024x768

Congratulations on your build though, and your self discipline, I wouldn't of been able to control myself and at the very least upgrade the ram

Reply 2 of 9, by BomfunkAnDs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2022-12-12, 10:49:

Hello and welcome,
I did see your other post so not sure if this will be up to your level of detail but if your happy to use the built in standard monitor driver. I've had to install 1 size larger then what I was actually after, so if your wanting 800x600 Then install the 1024x768

I may improve things with RAM, who knows. How would I go about installing the 1024x768 - are you talking about a driver? Where would I find this?

Cheers!

Reply 3 of 9, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Goto Display propitiates, Settings Advanced properties

Display1.JPG
Filename
Display1.JPG
File size
30.94 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

You should see a monitor tab, Here you can select a number of monitor types including the Standard xxx range I was talking about

Reply 5 of 9, by BomfunkAnDs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2022-12-12, 13:24:

This may sound stupid but you do have the graphics driver installed, right?

Nothing stupid about that at all, I don't claim to be the greatest and this is the first time I have put a computer together!

I guess I assumed the graphics driver would naturally be there. I will need to check to see what is currently in 'System' to see what driver is there at the moment. Where would I think about finding the correct one?

Reply 6 of 9, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BomfunkAnDs wrote on 2022-12-12, 16:04:
Doornkaat wrote on 2022-12-12, 13:24:

This may sound stupid but you do have the graphics driver installed, right?

Nothing stupid about that at all, I don't claim to be the greatest and this is the first time I have put a computer together!

I guess I assumed the graphics driver would naturally be there. I will need to check to see what is currently in 'System' to see what driver is there at the moment. Where would I think about finding the correct one?

Modern Windows makes installing hardware and drivers extremely easy so it's just fair to first assume old PCs work the same.👍
But with older Windows you often need to gather and install all drivers by yourself, especially if your hardware is newer than the OS.
Sometimes even an integrated graphics core on a chipset will require a an additional driver even though the chipset driver is already installed. Yeah...😅
VGA and chipset drivers are hosted seperately on Gigabyte's website so I guess you may still need to install them. If you haven't already install the chipset drivers too and don't forget to enable DMA for all capable drives afterwards.😃
They're also hosting the driver for the onboard audio.
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-6WMMC … port#support-dl

Reply 7 of 9, by BomfunkAnDs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

[/quote]
VGA and chipset drivers are hosted seperately on Gigabyte's website so I guess you may still need to install them. If you haven't already install the chipset drivers too and don't forget to enable DMA for all capable drives afterwards.😃
They're also hosting the driver for the onboard audio.
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-6WMMC … port#support-dl
[/quote]

So I downloaded and installed the VGA drive Intel 81x for OS: Windows Me,Windows 98se,Windows 98,Windows 95....and it's only gone and worked!

That is everything now. I was thinking of upgrading the RAM, but that is it. I can't really thank you enough! The dream is complete!

I will upload a picture once I have it looking all neat.

Cheers all!

Reply 8 of 9, by BomfunkAnDs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You are all legends in my eyes! Look at that beauty.

Attachments