VOGONS

First post, by kenabi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i'm not asking for recommendations though, i'm aware of its legacy (infamy?).

what i _am_ asking for (help me oh vogons, my vogons), is a specific MSI agp vbios. or rather, two (though i'd settle for the one identical, if thats all thats to be had).

since it won't let me post links yet, if you head over to DDG and search for "msi 8919 5500", switch to images and follow the 3rd images link to the ebay listing for the 5500, the card i have is identical to that, save a few minor details. (or just refer to the images i attached as a contrast to that ebay listing, after i realized, 'hey maybe it will let me do that as a newbie. doy.')

1. no yellow socket on the corner.

2. the chip and the xtal between the green choke and the svideo/vga ports aren't there. and probably any passives related solely to the chip.

3. there's only 4 K4D551638F-TC's, making it a 128mb 64bit card. (as far as i can tell).

4. almost every 5200 i can find seems be either 128mb 8 chip/128bit, or 4 chip 64mb/64bit. i'm not finding any 128mb/64bit. the 5500 8919s also seem to have 110 yellow (small, round) stickers on them someplace, while the 5200's also seem to have 010 stickers. either on the back in the middle of the card near the top (mine has it under the n1996 box, see attached images), or between the yellow socket and the top ram chip near it. earlier board revisions do not have an electrolytic capacitor position in this area, later (ver:210) revisions do.

most of the hits i can find lean towards it being a 5500, but given how they may or may not have just bios'd it to either a 5200 or a 5500, who knows for sure. the heatsink is thermal glued on, so i can't check for an A on the chip itself.

what i'm trying to find; the bios chip on the board itself says 'n8919' (5200/5500 gpus, nvidia reference) and then below that, 'ms101', so its an MSI, with the 101 variant of the bios, whatever flavor that spec'd out.

the 5500 in the ebay link has a bios labeled ms104, and is 128bit, going by the chip spec.

i'd like to get my hands on a clean ripped 101 bios from an actual working card of this variant, and the 64bit known other variant (if this is a 5200 for sure, i'd like to also get a 5500, and vice versa)

as an aside, to answer the ever present questions; its in my collection of hardware, windows sees it, but no video at all. sometimes a bios flash fixes that with older hardware. i'd like to give it a rip before i toss it in the parts bin. if i can also maybe upgrade it to a 5500 (in the event its a 5200), well then sweet deal. if i can't, parts bin. and the bios roms i _can_ find (notably here on vogons) are from pci cards. not sure if that matters any, and there's not MSI specific, which i'd like if i can manage to get them.

and who knows, maybe with all the other cheap factors, these also possible suffer from bit rot as well? wouldn't surprise me any.

cheers, and TIA.

-T

Attachments

• msiagpcardfront.jpg
    Filename
    msiagpcardfront.jpg
    File size
    946.47 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • msiagpcardback.jpg
    Filename
    msiagpcardback.jpg
    File size
    878.33 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 6, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It looks identical to some FX 5200 AGP cards from Dell systems I used to have.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 2 of 6, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is 64 bit type, FX5500 a cost reduced video card. The marking on the PCB: msi 8919 ver 210 is consistent with FX 5500 only.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 3 of 6, by kenabi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
pentiumspeed wrote on 2022-12-21, 00:38:

This is 64 bit type, FX5500 a cost reduced video card. The marking on the PCB: msi 8919 ver 210 is consistent with FX 5500 only.

Cheers,

i finally gave up and tried to poke MSI for a vbios file, hoping maybe they'd at least have whatever.

its a 5200, got that confirmed at least, but MSI doesn't provide vbios files. at all. and will only work on cards still under warranty. so given that the 5200's are almost 20 years old, i had to try my luck digging around/asking.

directly from MSI via the serial #, specific model variant; FX5200-TD128 (602-8919-110)

now, in theory i should be able to flash the 5500 and 5700 bioses on it, since it should be a revision b chip (NV34B), as it was made later in the life cycle of the fx series, and some of those only used 4 memory chips on the 128mb version.

that said, i found some i'll be testing for it over on vgamuseum.info. starting with the 5200 since there's a same spec variant though from a different brand, and if that works, i'll look into giving the 55/57 bioses a try and see if those work, dependent on verifying the 34b chip, since the base 34 is only 5200s, and the heatsink is firmly on said chip or i'd have popped it off and just looked at the number on it. the 5700 might not work, since most of those are nv36's.

really wish mkvtechs downloads section was still working. they had allll the vbios files at the time.

Reply 4 of 6, by kenabi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

put it in my current testbed, tried to flash it. it detected the nv chip itself, but not the eeprom. hooked it up to my tl866 with a soic clip and tried to read the chip contents.

nope, it's dead, jim. just reads as dead shorted.

if anyone knows of a cross compatible chip to an amtel AT25F512N (soic 8 p) that can still be found (i'm not having much luck), lemme know. otherwise, this goes in the 'fixable, but no parts' pile until i can get my hands on something that will do the job.

*sticks a fork in this one, for now*

Reply 5 of 6, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kenabi wrote on 2023-06-20, 22:44:
put it in my current testbed, tried to flash it. it detected the nv chip itself, but not the eeprom. hooked it up to my tl866 wi […]
Show full quote

put it in my current testbed, tried to flash it. it detected the nv chip itself, but not the eeprom. hooked it up to my tl866 with a soic clip and tried to read the chip contents.

if anyone knows of a cross compatible chip to an amtel AT25F512N (soic 8 p) that can still be found (i'm not having much luck), lemme know. otherwise, this goes in the 'fixable, but no parts' pile until i can get my hands on something that will do the job.

Keep in mind that if the chip is still in circuit then the short could be elsewhere, not necessarily the chip itself.

Reply 6 of 6, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kenabi wrote on 2023-06-20, 22:44:
put it in my current testbed, tried to flash it. it detected the nv chip itself, but not the eeprom. hooked it up to my tl866 wi […]
Show full quote

Did you desolder this chip and test for shorts?
Is it a 0 ohm short?

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K