VOGONS

First post, by bl4zz3r73553

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So i have a question about a dual gpu setup.
motherboard is an asus z77 with a 3570k cpu, Gpu's are a 7900 gtx and a 670 4 gb gtx.
i have one monitor that uses dvi and only has one dvi port. now for some context. The 670 is used generally for everything. the 7900 is used for the more hardware/era specific needs like Pandora tomorrow for example.

can i have both of these installed and powered, but only using one as the dedicated gpu when gaming, and when at desktop switch over to the other as need be?

if so can i run x2 dvi cables to my monitor then in to a single connection splitter?

Reply 1 of 4, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just use a DVI switch.
Here's an example of one : https://www.ebay.com/itm/284289618387

Also, if monitor has HDMI or VGA, you can use passive DVI to HDMI (or DVI to VGA) adapters, and swap between cards with input selector in monitor's menu.

Reply 2 of 4, by bl4zz3r73553

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
agent_x007 wrote on 2023-01-04, 08:13:

Also, if monitor has HDMI or VGA, you can use passive DVI to HDMI (or DVI to VGA) adapters, and swap between cards with input selector in monitor's menu.

yep that works, thanks, appreciate it

Reply 3 of 4, by porschemad911

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bl4zz3r73553 wrote on 2023-01-04, 01:51:

can i have both of these installed and powered, but only using one as the dedicated gpu when gaming, and when at desktop switch over to the other as need be?

What operating system?

I run a Saphire Radeon 7970 and an EVGA Geforce GTX 780 Classified together in my Windows XP machine. After living with this combo for a while, the most reliable way to use the cards without issues is switching the primary display adapter to the desired card in BIOS and disabling the other card in Device Manager. I just swap the DisplayPort cable from one GPU to the other, but you could absolutely use an input switcher.

Reply 4 of 4, by bl4zz3r73553

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
porschemad911 wrote on 2023-01-24, 01:02:
bl4zz3r73553 wrote on 2023-01-04, 01:51:

What operating system?

I run a Saphire Radeon 7970 and an EVGA Geforce GTX 780 Classified together in my Windows XP machine. After living with this combo for a while, the most reliable way to use the cards without issues is switching the primary display adapter to the desired card in BIOS and disabling the other card in Device Manager. I just swap the DisplayPort cable from one GPU to the other, but you could absolutely use an input switcher.

os is windows xp pro sp3
i picked up a dual input 2-1 dvi cable but i haven't tried it yet,