VOGONS

First post, by Brawndo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've had three STB Black Magic 3D Voodoo 2 cards for quite awhile now and finally got around to testing them. Two seem to be working just fine, but one will not display any 3D content. When installed the system recognizes it normally as a 3D multimedia device according to Device Manager (Windows 98), but whenever I launch a 3dfx game (tried Unreal, Need for Speed II SE, and Need for Speed III) I just get a black screen, and I have to ctrl+alt+del my way out. When launching the same games, the other two cards work fine when installed. All three cards are identical, 12MB versions. I have moderate soldering skills so if replacing any ICs or memory is in the cards I should be able to do that, just curious if anybody has an idea where to start looking for possible damage, and how to troubleshoot.

Reply 1 of 4, by Brawndo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I did a quick visual inspection and noticed one of the capacitors looks like it got pinched by something, and looks like it might even have been soldered previously. Can a pinched capacitor cause issues? It doesn't appear to be leaking.

20230119-215529.jpg

Reply 2 of 4, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Cap like that is absolutely no longer working right, and can even be shorted inside (and some nearby via perhaps no longer conducting 🤣)

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 4 of 4, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Put up some clear pictures of the whole card, front and back so we can have a good look.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1