VOGONS

First post, by Ar2r4eg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi.
I have a strange noname 8bit vga card
https://ibb.co/dcHd194
All what i can find for it - that is from Olivetti computer and OEM.
Also on web i find that card possibly Prisma Graphics System VGA RT800.
I read bios from it, and in fisrs lines see "Olivetti" in dump.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1m3KY5_ITE29v … ?usp=share_link

My problem is the standart utils for select video mode from WDC wont work with that card. Also i can't find anythig for this card - no jumper settings, manual, drivers or utils.
Maybe anyone who know Olivetti models line can help with identify it. I think need continue searching in OEM drivers for olivetti...

PS I find on Vogons old topic Re: WD90C11 and AT&T Model 6300 video mode as i know, for similar card. Try download and write bios but my card is won't show picture with it. Monitor on but out of range signal. (i have multisync with 30khz support)

My hardware:
enough for my wife to hate

Reply 1 of 14, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi there!

I think I've got the same card in the attic somewhere! It's a nice antique, cool for testing purposes.
If you change the Olivetti VGA BIOS to a generic PVGA1A BIOS, it should work.

Tips:
- The Paradise Professional VGA (PVGA1A) is similar to the later WD90C00. Other revisions exist (1B, 1C etc).
- You can try the DOS tools in this thread: Re: 286 USIT Athena PC
- PCem emulates the Olivetti version, too, as "Olivetti GO481".
- It's possible to upgrade it to 512KB max, but that requires piggy-back (stacking the RAMs, modifying a pair of address lines).

Edit: This is also interesting!
WD90C11 and AT&T Model 6300 video mode
Olivetti/Logabax/AT&T/Toshiba 640x400 hi-res graphics mode

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 14, by Ar2r4eg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2023-01-29, 17:43:
Hi there! […]
Show full quote

Hi there!

I think I've got the same card in the attic somewhere! It's a nice antique, cool for testing purposes.
If you change the Olivetti VGA BIOS to a generic PVGA1A BIOS, it should work.

Tips:
- The Paradise Professional VGA (PVGA1A) is similar to the later WD90C00. Other revisions exist (1B, 1C etc).
- PCem emulates the Olivetti version, too, as "Olivetti GO481".
- It's possible to upgrade it to 512KB max, but that requires piggy-back (stacking the RAMs, modifying a pair of address lines).

Edit: This is also interesting!
WD90C11 and AT&T Model 6300 video mode
Olivetti/Logabax/AT&T/Toshiba 640x400 hi-res graphics mode

Hi, thank you for answer.
I try DOS tools from first link, and as i expected it won't work with Olivetti VGA bios on this card. In mode select util i cal select only VGA color or VGA mono mode. Other tools report incompatibility of my model with WD VGA
Also i try use 32Kb bios from that tread WD90C11 and AT&T Model 6300 video mode but also does not work.

Can anyone help with original bios file from that card from WD ? (or any 8bit PVGA1A or WD90C00 based)

My hardware:

Reply 3 of 14, by mattw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know how well known fact is, but Matrox MG-108 card is based around WD90C01 and IBM released this:

"Matrox Magnum Graphics Controller MG-104, MG-108 Option/Utility Disk v2.0 (11-23-90, 1.44MB)" :

http://www.walshcomptech.com/selectpccbbs/mg104108.zip

most interesting files (at least to me) on that IBM driver diskette are "Paradise 8514A Adapter Interface" TSRs :

* "WDAI4.exe" (for cards with 512K video RAM)
* "WDAI8.exe" (for cards with 1024K video RAM)

and the demo itself "WDDEMO.exe". I wonder if it works only on those Matrox MG-108 IBM used or on all WD90C0x-based cards. that's why I will be glad if someone of you test (in DOS just run the appropriate WDAI4 or WDAI8 based on the amount of RAM your card has and then run the WDDEMO).

I found the above files, when working on:

https://github.com/86Box/86Box/issues/2968

but if "Matrox MG-108" is compatible with more generic WD90C0x-based cards, then IBM released a lot of other files and drivers for it:

https://ardent-tool.com/video/matrox.html

that might be of interest to owners of such WD90C0x-based cards.

Reply 4 of 14, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'll have a look in my personal archives, too.
I'm pretty sure I backup-ed some VGA BIOSes in the past..

Edit: Found. Good luck! 😀 🤞

Attachments

• Filename
    paradise.zip
    File size
    29.71 KiB
    Downloads
    43 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by Jo22 on 2023-01-31, 13:14. Edited 1 time in total.

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 14, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ar2r4eg wrote on 2023-01-30, 21:41:

Can anyone help with original bios file from that card from WD ? (or any 8bit PVGA1A or WD90C00 based)

http://vgamuseum.info/index.php/companies/ite … stems-pvga1a-jk

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 6 of 14, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mattw wrote on 2023-01-30, 22:28:

I don't know how well known fact is, but Matrox MG-108 card is based around WD90C01

There's a typo, actually it's WD95C01, from the WD9500 series - https://archive.org/details/bitsavers_western … 5WD9500_3838982
Nothing to do with the PVGA/90Cxx series...

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 7 of 14, by Ar2r4eg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Grzyb wrote on 2023-01-31, 11:27:
Ar2r4eg wrote on 2023-01-30, 21:41:

http://vgamuseum.info/index.php/companies/ite … stems-pvga1a-jk

I try that bios. It's 64Kb but half fill of zero's. I Write it to 32Kb flash but card don't show image. Out of range on monitor, system booting in background. Same situation with any combinations of switches.
And that bios for PVGA1A-JK, on my card PVGA1A

My hardware:

Reply 8 of 14, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try also these - http://vgamuseum.info/index.php/companies/ite … -systems-pvga1a

Though I think any should work, "JK" only means the package type...

Reply 9 of 14, by mattw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Grzyb wrote on 2023-01-31, 12:09:

There's a typo, actually it's WD95C01, from the WD9500 series - https://archive.org/details/bitsavers_western … 5WD9500_3838982
Nothing to do with the PVGA/90Cxx series...

thank you, It seems until now I always confused those two with one another. So, WD9500 series is the one that is 8514A clone!

Reply 10 of 14, by Ar2r4eg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2023-01-31, 09:32:

Hi, thank you. I try both files ftom archive. both not wotking with that card 🙁
I think we need to unpack the original and your files and see what the differences are there. And there is a suspicion that these files are from -JK chip, in HEX they are very similar to what I downloaded for -JK

My hardware:

Reply 11 of 14, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ar2r4eg wrote on 2023-02-01, 09:56:
Jo22 wrote on 2023-01-31, 09:32:

Hi, thank you. I try both files ftom archive. both not wotking with that card 🙁
I think we need to unpack the original and your files and see what the differences are there. And there is a suspicion that these files are from -JK chip, in HEX they are very similar to what I downloaded for -JK

Ah, I see. Too bad. I'll have a look at my physical card collection.
I do own a few EPROM programmers, too. Maybe I can do make some backups/dumps manually.
That would be more reliable than dumping the VGA BIOS in a PC, anyway. 😀

//My video channel//

Reply 12 of 14, by Ar2r4eg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Grzyb wrote on 2023-01-31, 14:19:

Try also these - http://vgamuseum.info/index.php/companies/ite … -systems-pvga1a

Though I think any should work, "JK" only means the package type...

That BIOS work ! YES !!! i write 32Kb file and got a picture !
I try switch to CGA mode - screens are attached.

IMG20230201144539.jpg
Filename
IMG20230201144539.jpg
File size
1.92 MiB
Views
File comment
BIOS info
File license
Public domain
IMG20230201144838.jpg
Filename
IMG20230201144838.jpg
File size
1.56 MiB
Views
File comment
VGA util. Mode for select
File license
Public domain
IMG20230201150146.jpg
Filename
IMG20230201150146.jpg
File size
1.62 MiB
Views
File comment
CGA test brw palette with corrupted text
File license
Public domain
IMG20230201145307.jpg
Filename
IMG20230201145307.jpg
File size
1.81 MiB
Views
File comment
Burgertime right palette
File license
Public domain

That card have no EGA mode.
In CGA mode done with compatibility test, right palette but corrupted fonts.

PS I use that drivers, thanks

Jo22 wrote on 2023-01-29, 17:43:

VGA1024 util not work.
Guys , thank you so much for your help!

My hardware:

Reply 13 of 14, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Afaik, on a real CGA card running in graphics mode, the text font inside of the PC BIOS is used.

That's because the CGA text font stored in the EPROM on the CGA card is not accessible via PC/CPU.
So the PC BIOS must use its own "duplicate" of a CGA font (which isn't necessarily the same as the one on the CGA card).

On a VGA card, this might be different, not sure. Depends on the VGA BIOS: Whether or not it overrides the CGA graphics routines inside the PC BIOS.

That's possible, if the BIOS is copyied into RAM by the PC during boot (Shadow Memory).

//My video channel//

Reply 14 of 14, by Ar2r4eg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2023-02-01, 17:14:
Afaik, on a real CGA card running in graphics mode, the text font inside of the PC BIOS is used. […]
Show full quote

Afaik, on a real CGA card running in graphics mode, the text font inside of the PC BIOS is used.

That's because the CGA text font stored in the EPROM on the CGA card is not accessible via PC/CPU.
So the PC BIOS must use its own "duplicate" of a CGA font (which isn't necessarily the same as the one on the CGA card).

On a VGA card, this might be different, not sure. Depends on the VGA BIOS: Whether or not it overrides the CGA graphics routines inside the PC BIOS.

That's possible, if the BIOS is copyied into RAM by the PC during boot (Shadow Memory).

Thank yot for answer. When test i use DOS 7.1 from Win98 setup. After i install clear MS-DOS 6.22 problem with fonts is gone !

My hardware: