VOGONS

First post, by Jackal1983

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, so I'd like a bit more info on this. According to Gona's DOS compatibility matrix (https://gona.mactar.hu/DOS_TESTS/) of the 2D chips that come with the Voodoo Rush, the Macronix chip seems to be more compatible with DOS games compared to the Alliance chips. However I've also heard that its slower (its a PCI 2D chip in DOS, I doubt it's enough to worry with), and the image quality isn't as good. Does anyone have any personal experience with this variant? I'm mulling over getting one for a MediaGX system (Pentium 133-166ish speed, so definitely in the wheelhouse of the Rush) that's gonna be mostly for dos and 2-D gaming, but I'd like to have some 3D accelerator support for games like Tomb Raider, Quake, and Turok. At this time the Rush is not as obnoxiously priced as other PCI based Glide supporting cards, so that's the route I'm considering. I do own a V3-3000 PCI card, bit I'd rather use it in another build because it's overpowered for this system and the board does not initialize graphics cards in the second PCI slot (which has more space for cooling). I also have a Voodoo 1, but that would entail using the iGPU of the MediaGX (which is hot garbage) because one of the PCI slots are being used for a IDE controller card (the IDE drivers for the onboard controller are truly borked beyond belief). I think this might just be the one edge case where a Voodoo Rush might be appropriate.

Reply 1 of 1, by regis440

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have such card and unfortunately it is not good for 2D games. It has problem with over brightness. In theory there is tool in which you can adjust it form windows but for me it was not working always and after run game from dos mode it was resetting settings.
It is good for early 3D games, like TR or Quake if you do not want spend unacceptable money for voodoo.
If your primary usage will be 2D games I would not use this card.