VOGONS

First post, by djsabreblade

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can't find one of these of course
https://www.ekwb.com/news/ek-introduces-ek-fc … er-water-block/

Can someone recommend me an alternative solution? i have no experience in water cooling btw.

Duron 800mhz 256mb ram geforce2 mx Windows 98se
K8V-MX/S Sempron 2600+ 512mb Ram Radeon 9600XT 256mb Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2
djsabreblade.bandcamp.com

Reply 1 of 6, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There’s an EK 7970 waterblock on UK eBay at the moment for £60 or best offer.

There’s also a pair of Heatkiller water blocks for the 7970 at £100 for the pair.

Besides finding them used, you could also try a generic chipset style waterblock, but then you’d need to cool the memory separately with heatsinks and fans.

Reply 2 of 6, by djsabreblade

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks! will those fit on my matrix platinum?

K8V-MX/S Sempron 2600+ 512mb Ram Radeon 9600XT 256mb Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2

Reply 3 of 6, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ah, sorry missed the specific card name, no, they likely won’t fit. Which either means holding our for the rarer card specific blocks, buying a reference design card, or going down the route of individual blocks rather than full-cover.

This is why I always try to buy reference design cards, waterblocks are far FAR easier to source for reference cards.

Reply 4 of 6, by djsabreblade

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Do you think this would fit? https://www.amazon.ca/NZXT-Kraken-Matte-Cooli … uct_top?ie=UTF8

Reply 5 of 6, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It’s certainly possible, the description states that it has the flexibility to fit non-reference designs, and fits the 280x which is the same layout as a 7950/7970. The fine print does state that you might need to add shims (not included) to certain AMD GPUs due to die height variations, should be pretty easy to shim out with thin copper plate.

Reply 6 of 6, by djsabreblade

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Right. sounds good. i'll give it a go i suppose 🤣 nothing left to loose when i can't get 1200mhz stable without added voltage. i can only get 1150mhz stable without more voltage! the asic quality on my card sucks to only 63.5% or something. pure garbage. oh well it is what it is. i am hoping water cooling the gpu might improve the chances to get a higher overclock without more voltage?