VOGONS

First post, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've seen issues like these for years, but I'd like to finally get to the bottom of what causes these problems.

First off, what causes this kind of ghosting that moves around with whatever is on screen?

VGA_artifact1.jpg
Filename
VGA_artifact1.jpg
File size
141.29 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

What component is usually responsible for this kind of problem? Specifically on something like a TNT2... but also, in general on other cards.

Next... this one is really tough to record, and even tougher to get it to survive the conversion process when uploading it online. If you sit back a bit, it is visible in this gif as a repeating horizontal wave going from left to right. On this particular card it is really only visible at 800x600. For some reason, the card works fine at 1600x1200 at 60Hz, with only very very subtle distortion at 1024x768 or 640x480. But at 800x600 it's really distracting. The appearance changes a bit with different refresh rates, but it doesn't go away. Sometimes it looks more random and scattered, but in this case it's pretty clearly going from left to right.

VGA_artifact2.gif
Filename
VGA_artifact2.gif
File size
1.28 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

What causes that?

Also, these were taken on a Dell 2001FP (obviously) using a standard VGA cable. The two artifacts were on different cards. The first was an AGP TNT2 M64, the second was on a PCI TNT2 M64. Other identical cards do not exhibit these problems, so these are defects with these particular cards.

I have also tried hitting the auto adjust button on my monitor and it doesn't make either of these go away.

(Pro tip: A large number of visual artifacts I've seen in DOS or in Windows seem to just be scaling issues with certain LCD monitors. If your display has an auto adjust or auto alignment button, there's a good chance it will clear up any visual problems your having, like swimming\shimmering text in DOS mode or strange dithered patterns in Windows.)

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 1 of 12, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would also test these cards on another monitor and/or other VGA cable might be better/more compatible. But usually CRT monitor solves like 99.99% such problems.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 3 of 12, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is the first one really a sign of a VGA cable issue? I've tested probably 30-40 cards on this particular monitor and cable in this exact location in this same computer over the last few months and I've only experienced this issue on maybe two or three cards and it does it at every resolution, in DOS and Windows.

With regard to the second one, I have two identical cards on hand and one has the wavy pattern, while the other doesn't. Seems odd that it would be caused by anything except for a defect on the card.

Reply 4 of 12, by pancakepuppy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dark smearing across the screen: Saw this on a GeForce 256 and have heard from a few other people about their GF256s doing this as well. I'm not sure about the root cause, but I think it's DAC degradation. I experimented with fixing it by replacing the VGA connector and doing RGB signal buffering before it launches into the cable but neither approach helped even a little.

Ripples on the screen: In some cases you can get this from having really bad decoupling capacitors on a card. When it's just at one particular resolution and on an LCD, that might be a little funky synergy between the card's DAC and the monitor's sampling frequency/phase.

Reply 5 of 12, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2023-02-17, 17:47:

Is the first one really a sign of a VGA cable issue? I've tested probably 30-40 cards on this particular monitor and cable in this exact location in this same computer over the last few months and I've only experienced this issue on maybe two or three cards and it does it at every resolution, in DOS and Windows.

With regard to the second one, I have two identical cards on hand and one has the wavy pattern, while the other doesn't. Seems odd that it would be caused by anything except for a defect on the card.

Well you could say the cable and card aren't matched. Either it is a signal integrity issue that the card didn't make enough attempt to avoid by a more paranoid design, or the cable is too good or just the right (wrong resonant) length resulting in a card that gives a robust signal making a lot of undamped reflections up and down the cable.

Edit: It could possibly be the case that the card bracket doesn't actually screw into the ground plane on the card, and the card is relying on backplate to chassis contact to provide the shield ground connection. If this is the case then a card plugged into a loose motherboard or not fully screwed into a case may exhibit this behaviour.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 6 of 12, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Signal cable has no shielded wires for the RGB signals hence bad signal reflections. Change to quality cable and they will be thicker too.

Believe me, seen this before. At one shop I worked for once, a owner used a cheap extension VGA cable, told him to change it to quality cable as described and this noise disappeared.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 7 of 12, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pancakepuppy wrote on 2023-02-17, 18:26:

Dark smearing across the screen: Saw this on a GeForce 256 and have heard from a few other people about their GF256s doing this as well. I'm not sure about the root cause, but I think it's DAC degradation. I experimented with fixing it by replacing the VGA connector and doing RGB signal buffering before it launches into the cable but neither approach helped even a little.

Ripples on the screen: In some cases you can get this from having really bad decoupling capacitors on a card. When it's just at one particular resolution and on an LCD, that might be a little funky synergy between the card's DAC and the monitor's sampling frequency/phase.

Yes, for that first problem I was thinking along the lines of it being a DAC issue of some kind, but the specifics of that are beyond my expertise. I'm assuming that since the RAMDAC seems to be integrated into the TNT2 (and most other newer chips), it is basically game-over for this card, right? I can't see any way it would be fixable if the RAMDAC is failing for one reason or another.

Is there a possibility it is related to bad caps?

BitWrangler wrote on 2023-02-17, 19:19:

Well you could say the cable and card aren't matched. Either it is a signal integrity issue that the card didn't make enough attempt to avoid by a more paranoid design, or the cable is too good or just the right (wrong resonant) length resulting in a card that gives a robust signal making a lot of undamped reflections up and down the cable.

Edit: It could possibly be the case that the card bracket doesn't actually screw into the ground plane on the card, and the card is relying on backplate to chassis contact to provide the shield ground connection. If this is the case then a card plugged into a loose motherboard or not fully screwed into a case may exhibit this behaviour.

Sounds logical to me. What part of the card would a manufacturer beef up to reduce the chances of this happening? Maybe whatever that is is either different or broken on the card exhibiting the issues. Still, I will try a different cable. I just don't want someone else to have an issue with this part if I move it along to a new owner at some point.

pentiumspeed wrote on 2023-02-17, 19:58:

Signal cable has no shielded wires for the RGB signals hence bad signal reflections. Change to quality cable and they will be thicker too.

Believe me, seen this before. At one shop I worked for once, a owner used a cheap extension VGA cable, told him to change it to quality cable as described and this noise disappeared.

Cheers,

Which noise are you talking about, the second one?

I will definitely try a thicker cable on my test bench.

Reply 9 of 12, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2023-02-17, 20:38:
Yes, for that first problem I was thinking along the lines of it being a DAC issue of some kind, but the specifics of that are b […]
Show full quote
pancakepuppy wrote on 2023-02-17, 18:26:

Yes, for that first problem I was thinking along the lines of it being a DAC issue of some kind, but the specifics of that are beyond my expertise. I'm assuming that since the RAMDAC seems to be integrated into the TNT2 (and most other newer chips), it is basically game-over for this card, right? I can't see any way it would be fixable if the RAMDAC is failing for one reason or another.

Is there a possibility it is related to bad caps?

BitWrangler wrote on 2023-02-17, 19:19:

Sounds logical to me. What part of the card would a manufacturer beef up to reduce the chances of this happening? Maybe whatever that is is either different or broken on the card exhibiting the issues. Still, I will try a different cable. I just don't want someone else to have an issue with this part if I move it along to a new owner at some point.

pentiumspeed wrote on 2023-02-17, 19:58:

Cheers,

Which noise are you talking about, the second one?

I will definitely try a thicker cable on my test bench.

These are the smearing from cheap cables. Get thick one they'll have shielded coaxes for RGB signals. I have seen this before, trust me. Not the video card themselves, I have not seen any that made the smearing ever even on cheap ones if using a quality cable.

Cheers,

Reply 10 of 12, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've seen similar with my 8800GT when I used it with DVI>VGA adapter. Other cards with the same adapter didn't have the same issue.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 11 of 12, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, I'm sad to say that neither of these is caused by the cable or the monitor, but I wasn't really expecting it to be in this particular situation.

One card always has the smearing\ghosting as shown in the first image. The other card always has the wavy pattern at 800x600 and 1024x768. So far, I have tried:

3 VGA cables. One basic modern cable with a moderate wire gauge and small ferrites. One older but very heavy black cable with medium sized ferrites. One older but very heavy gray cable with blue ends and huge ferrites. All totally different types of cable, and all exhibit the same issues.

2 monitors. One Dell Ultrasharp 2001FP (4:3 1600x1200 IPS LCD). One HP N246V (24" 1920x1080 IPS). Tested both monitors with the same cables. Just swapping cables from one monitor to the other while the system is running so I could easily note any changes... but there were none, no matter what I do with the cables.

The Dell does allow me to adjust the pixel clock which causes the wavy pattern (second problem) to change a bit, but I get the same wavy pattern on the other monitor, so it isn't the monitor itself.

And, to reiterate, I'm only having one issue on one card and one issue on another card. Both are TNT2 M64. One is a PNY AGP card, the other is an nvidia OEM PCI card. I can test 50 other cards on this same setup and they won't do this. I don't really care about the M64 cards themselves really, but once in a great while I will see these one of these problems on other cards, and I made this thread hoping to figure out the cause.

I admittedly test a LOT of cards, so maybe this isn't that common, but I have experienced it on enough cards to want to know if it's fixable.

Reply 12 of 12, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow, not expecting that bad.

Any chance that you have photos of the cards of interest that caused smearing?

Cheers,