VOGONS

First post, by Syntho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an S3 ViRGE DX card. When in dos everything is fine, but in windows 95 there is a small vertical black area on the left of my monitor where the cursor stops. Conversely the right side of the image is out of view (where the time is). I can adjust my CRT to move the whole screen over to the left and it looks fine then, but then the DOS prompt is too far to the left when I go into DOS.

Is there a setting in W95 to change this? If not there might be some S3 software that can. I remember using a Diamond Stealth card and it had something like that but that was for Diamond Stealth stuff.

Reply 2 of 6, by Syntho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just tried changing it. That didn't help.

I had an issue with the Diamond Stealth card I used previously (flickering) so I bought this other one, an APAC brand S3 ViRGE DX. While this new one fixes the flickering problem of the old one, it's created the new issue I mentioned above. I can't keep buying these cards at $50 a pop hoping to get a good one every time. There's got be be a solution to this off-center image...

Reply 3 of 6, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Which screen refresh rate and resolution are you attempting to use in Windows? For 640x480 try setting 72 Hz and 75 Hz (or higher) for the rest.

Sometimes, there are separate configurations on the monitor for CRT image positioning depending on the selected screen refresh rate and resolution.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 5 of 6, by Brightraven

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There should be software bundled with the driver to adjust the centering. You won't have such a util if you're only using Windows own driver. I used a utility with a generic Trident TGUI9940 back in the day with a crappy 15" monitor without digital controls.

Reply 6 of 6, by Syntho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My monitor is a CRT from he early 2000s. It doesn't have a way to remember settings, but on the other hand, isn't DOS and windows 95 set to 640X480 the same thing?

It really shouldn't be this complicated. My other ISA video cards work fine.

I'm trying to install the full package of the utils for W965 and it's saying I don't have the right card installed...