VOGONS

First post, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi vogons,

Seem to be going round in circles on finding any user modded Win98 drivers for anything above Radeon X8x0... many "Fastest ATI that works in 98" threads end up at X850 "unless there are modded drivers" or "look for modded drivers" but I am turning up nothing whatsoever.

So were there any? Am I searching the wrong thing, looking for catalyst when I should go with a name like omega or redsoftware?? (Though I've checked those and seem to be drawing blank there too)

Seems to be very low activity on this compared to nVidia, wondering if there was a particular defunct site that lost a chunk of knowledge, but site searches against those still around like Rage3D.com where I thought such activity might exist, are blanking too.

Anyway, looking for definite knowledge to get any later ATI cards working, be it hacked from catalysts, be patches or other mods or whatever. Not building a really real win98 system, but more like a Core2 retro-ish utility box, that I was hoping could lean backwards into 98 a touch, but video seems to be a problem for that.

Actually I wouldn't mind knowing about 2D drivers that gave you decent res and color depth, even if 3D is no go.

Thanks if you are able to contrib some knowledge...

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 1 of 4, by zyga64

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For 2D only this should work: https://bearwindows.zcm.com.au/vbe9x.htm

1) VLSI SCAMP /286@20 /4M /CL-GD5422 /CMI8330
2) i420EX /486DX33 /16M /TGUI9440 /GUS+ALS100+MT32PI
3) i430FX /K6-2@400 /64M /Rage Pro PCI /ES1370+YMF718
4) i440BX /P!!!750 /256M /MX440 /SBLive!
5) iB75 /3470s /4G /HD7750 /HDA

Reply 2 of 4, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No such hacked drivers exist. 6.2 and X850 are the final things for 98/SE/ME.

That "2D" driver is only a VESA wrapper, with zero GDI acceleration so things are going to be painfully slow when you move windows etc.
I primarly use it to give safe mode higher resolution and color count over the stock VGA driver it uses.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 3 of 4, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
zyga64 wrote on 2023-02-18, 19:22:

For 2D only this should work: https://bearwindows.zcm.com.au/vbe9x.htm

Thanks I was chasing something ppl were calling the Limemaster VBE driver but turns out that it's that too.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 4 of 4, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My inner toddler has continued to go "Why? .... Why? .... Why?"... so I think the stopper is the new scheduling in the R500s, assigning tasks to emptiest shader pipes. I'm wondering if AMD wanted that tech in particular to potentially apply to Bulldozer. But anyway, seems to add a level of complexity over R400 that makes extending the drivers not possible... unless... you fool later R500 card into thinking it's a single quad budget variant, X1100, 1500 or something and I have heard suggestions about getting those working before. But really you hit a brick wall with TeraScale, which is where the cards actually become useful to have in more modern systems. So yeah, get you a tad further but not much, like finding a wide, fast flowing river to cross, and saying you can't go any further, but genius at the back goes "Yeah, but you can at least wade until it gets to your knees"

Then found another rabbit hole, that VBE/AF standard exists and how it's been used for everything apart from writing a 9x driver, meant to be 2D accelerated, so takes you from basic VGA performance to S3/GL-5434 or something, vs basic VBE 3.0 with no blitting or cursor etc.

Though at the point we get to these cards, a wild linux driver appears, open source radeon drivers... so I guess if you wanna get down and filthy and play in the mud with cygwin or similar then backporting that is slightly possible.

Anyhoo the VBE driver may suffice for what I had in mind, which was mostly file copy, trying old coverdisk content out, setting up stuff which only speaks fat32, mostly desktop donkeywork. Might need it for some old handhelds too, playing with Palm III and iPaqs.