VOGONS

First post, by wide2tele

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Asking the experts. All I could find from searches is that I can't do it.

I have a Windows XP system but my Nvidia driver nor my monitor allow me to scale old games.
I'm running a 19 inch 1280x1024 Dell monitor. I would like to run say 1024x768 games at that resolution without them filling the screen or aspect ratios getting messed up.
Can it be done? I know I'll get an accurate answer here.

Reply 1 of 10, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have the same issue with my XP machine also running nVidia drivers.

On my modern Windows 10 system, there are driver settings to control how the GPU performs scaling. But on Windows XP, there don't appear to be any options available.

If there is such a way to override scaling under XP, I'd also love to know how.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 2 of 10, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shponglefan wrote on 2023-02-24, 22:21:

On my modern Windows 10 system, there are driver settings to control how the GPU performs scaling. But on Windows XP, there don't appear to be any options available.

This is a well known Nvidia XP driver problem. The last XP driver that has working GPU scaling option is 355.98. Also you should use VGA or DVI instead of HDMI. More info:
Re: Adventures in Windows XP Ultrawide

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 3 of 10, by wide2tele

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Falcosoft wrote on 2023-02-24, 22:32:
Shponglefan wrote on 2023-02-24, 22:21:

This is a well known Nvidia XP driver problem. The last XP driver that has working GPU scaling option is 355.98. Also you should use VGA or DVI instead of HDMI. More info:
Re: Adventures in Windows XP Ultrawide

I did read that thread. I don't have 355.98 installed but I looked at the control panel quick start guide.
I highlighted the areas in question below.
It states that the scaling options (#2) are only available on Windows Vista and later.
The area I highlighted as #1 shows a flat panel scaling feature and it does have a no scaling option but I'm not sure exactly what this means?
From my understanding, #2 won't be available using Win XP and I don't think #1 will give the same result as #2.

It appears myself and Shponglefan have the same problem. We need games capable of running at the native monitor resolution or the game won't be sharp and/or the correct aspect ratio.
If my understanding is wrong please let me know. I don't wish to trial 355.98 unless necessary as my current driver works really well with all my games I have installed on my Win XP system.

xp.jpg

Reply 4 of 10, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
wide2tele wrote on 2023-02-25, 01:00:

It appears myself and Shponglefan have the same problem. We need games capable of running at the native monitor resolution or the game won't be sharp and/or the correct aspect ratio.

I should probably clarify, I don't have an issue running games at my monitor's native resolution or with correct aspect ratio.

I'm using an Asus ProArt 24" monitor which has a native resolution of 1920x1200 (16:10 aspect ratio). This monitor features native 4:3 support in addition to 16:10 support. It will automatically change the aspect ratio depending on the signal provided. It even will do this if the game switches between 4:3 and 16:10 aspect ratio. This often occurs with full-screen video in older games recorded in 4:3 aspect ratio.

The main issue I did have was trying to get this aspect ratio switching to work while also running the monitor @ 75Hz. Ultimately I had to resort to running it through a DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapter. Straight HDMI or DisplayPort didn't work.

The other issue I'm left with is that the nVidia drivers detect my monitor as a television set for some reason.

I just wanted to confirm that in looking at the nVidia drivers, I did not see any scaling options available at the GPU level unlike on my Windows 10 machine, which does.

Part of what I would like is a way to scale 800x600 via the GPU without any image processing (e.g. straight pixel doubling). This would give me a better image at that resolution as opposed to when the monitor scales. The monitor does apply image processing which unfortunately makes resolutions other than 1920x1200 or 1600x1200 less than ideal.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 5 of 10, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wide2tele wrote on 2023-02-25, 01:00:
.... It states that the scaling options (#2) are only available on Windows Vista and later. The area I highlighted as #1 shows a […]
Show full quote

It states that the scaling options (#2) are only available on Windows Vista and later.
The area I highlighted as #1 shows a flat panel scaling feature and it does have a no scaling option but I'm not sure exactly what this means?
From my understanding, #2 won't be available using Win XP and I don't think #1 will give the same result as #2.

If my understanding is wrong please let me know. I don't wish to trial 355.98 unless necessary as my current driver works really well with all my games I have installed on my Win XP system.

I do not understand exactly what you want to achieve so instead I show you what is possible with the available options in (older) Nvidia XP drivers.

Important! Under XP do not use HDMI since:
1. You will not get scaling options.
2. You cannot set the dynamic range to Full RGB so you will always get limited RGB. This results in incorrect black levels in case of PC monitors.

Anyway, these are the scaling options available in Nvidia XP drivers.
Important! In order to get these options you have to switch to a PC or non-native based resolution. After you selected the desired option it also applies to native based resolutions or non-PC resolutions.
(The below examples show what is possible with DVI)

XP_ScalingOptions.png
Filename
XP_ScalingOptions.png
File size
81.69 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

1. Use Nvidia scaling:
In this case the display always stays in its native resolution but no aspect ratio correction is applied by the GPU so you will always get a full screen image. This case is trivial so I do not attach a screenshot.

2. Use Nvidia scaling with fixed aspect ratio:
In this case the display always stays in its native resolution but the GPU also applies aspect ratio correction:

Nvidia_aspect.jpg
Filename
Nvidia_aspect.jpg
File size
568.85 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

3. Use my displays built-in scaling:
In this case the display is switched for the given resolution and no aspect ratio adjustment is applied by the GPU. Your display has to correct aspect ratio either automatically or manually.

Nvidia_usedisplay.jpg
Filename
Nvidia_usedisplay.jpg
File size
481.54 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

4. Do not scale:
In this case the display always stays in its native resolution but the GPU not only corrects aspect ratio but draws a centered pixel perfect screen inside the native resolution (so in case of smaller resolutions you can get a tiny image)

Nvidia_noscaling.jpg
Filename
Nvidia_noscaling.jpg
File size
466.59 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 6 of 10, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shponglefan wrote on 2023-02-25, 01:27:

The other issue I'm left with is that the nVidia drivers detect my monitor as a television set for some reason.

Use active VGA to HDMI/DP adapter to bypass this issue (or ATI/AMD GPU 😉).
In some cases you may be forced to use it to get standard resolutions back (and/or higher refresh rates for those modes).

Reply 7 of 10, by wide2tele

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Falcosoft wrote on 2023-02-25, 08:31:

I do not understand exactly what you want to achieve so instead I show you what is possible with the available options in (older) Nvidia XP drivers.

Thank you! Yes, I have it working now. The drivers I was using didn't give me the scaling options. Your post prompted me to uninstall the newer drivers and go with the older versions. Now I can scale.

Reply 8 of 10, by Haki26

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't know if I understood the problem correctly, but if it can help you, there would be the alternative of running the game in a window, using the DXWnd program. Program that also has several other functions

Reply 9 of 10, by wide2tele

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Haki26 wrote on 2023-02-26, 21:34:

I don't know if I understood the problem correctly, but if it can help you, there would be the alternative of running the game in a window, using the DXWnd program. Program that also has several other functions

Thanks. Yes, I was already planning to explore that option if I couldn't get scaling working. Now that scaling works, I can just use the Nvidia driver.

Reply 10 of 10, by TehGuy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shponglefan wrote on 2023-02-25, 01:27:

Had the same issue and apparently "use driver 352.86 or earlier" was the solution I dug up.

Win98+DOS: C3 Ezra-T 1.0AGHz / P3-S 1.26GHz, 128MB RAM, AWE64 + Orpheus + Audigy 2 ZS, Ti 4200, 128GB SD card
Win XP SP3: C2Q 9650, 4GB RAM, X-Fi Titanium, GTX 750
PowerMac G4 QS 800MHz + GeForce4 Ti4200, OS 9
PowerMac G5 DP 1.8Ghz + ATi x800 XT, Leopard