VOGONS

First post, by tomcattech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK,

Well the cool little Win98 Small Form Factor rig is up and it is awesome.

I'm thinking hard about sticking a voodoo2 in there but the Radeon 9550 SE is already in the AGP slot and the power supply is downright ANEMIC at 175 Watts.

The PCI slots are on a riser board which plug directly into the motherboard.

The 9550 is probably soaking up more than was ever intended on that rail.

Is it worth a shot sticking the voodoo2 in there or am I pushing it at this point?

Attachments

• home.jpg
    Filename
    home.jpg
    File size
    168.59 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • mb.jpg
    Filename
    mb.jpg
    File size
    76.81 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 6, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The PCI bus tops out at 25W as far as I know, and the Radeon 9550SE is probably also around 20W. Having both should be somewhere around 9A on the 5V rail. The PSU is rated for 8A on its 5V rail so it's already overloaded with assuming nothing else uses 5V in your PC.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 2 of 6, by tomcattech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RandomStranger wrote on 2023-02-27, 07:20:

The PCI bus tops out at 25W as far as I know, and the Radeon 9550SE is probably also around 20W. Having both should be somewhere around 9A on the 5V rail. The PSU is rated for 8A on its 5V rail so it's already overloaded with assuming nothing else uses 5V in your PC.

That was pretty much my fear.

I've looked high and low for an upgraded Power Supply and other options for this unit, but I'm afraid the capability just doesn't exist.

It will pretty much have to stay as-is after I get the 2.8 CPU in there.

Thx!

Reply 3 of 6, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't mean to sound rude but I believe that's a huge overestimate on +5V power draw.

The main power rail on AGP is +3.3V, even with lower signalling voltages. +5V supply to AGP cards by the slot is limited to 2A. Most better mainboards will create their own +3.3V for AGP from the system's main power rail which I assume to be +12V in this case.
The main power rail on PCI is +5V but a single Voodoo2 does not consume 25W, no way.
20W for a GPU like the Radeon 9550 SE that often comes with a puny passive heatsink sounds a bit high as well.

I don't think the Voodoo2 makes a lot of sense in that PC but I also don't think adding it will hurt the system. My main concern would be bad ventilation around the V2 and it possibly overheating depending on the case layout.
Edit: looking at the layout I suspect the PCI cards are getti g warm air from the CPU cooler blown over them. Probably better than no ventilation.😅

Reply 4 of 6, by tomcattech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It is weird.

I've looked high and low for a power draw number for the Radeon 9550 SE and so far, Google has come up with nada.

Best I've seen is that it "recommends" a 200 W PSU..... but that's about it.

The ventilation is a great point about this case and usually I'd put one of those PCI slot fans in to get more circulation..... but we get back to the power limitations here.

This is a great little system as long as you don't put in many upgrades.... 🤣

Reply 5 of 6, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Me neither. I made an assumption about the Radeon 9600 series which use the same GPU. Probably overestimated as Doornkaat said.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png