VOGONS

First post, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi Vogons,

Ever have a realization come over you like you've been a complete moron? Yeah that was me earlier. I've had this honking great Mitsubishi parked in my basement for years, HC3925 ATK, and I had been mentally writing it off as not useful, due to times in the past when I googled it I saw it turn up on "Lists of workstation monitors" & "List of fixed frequency monitors", so brain went "okay, it's some weird *nix workstation crap that needs a 17khz or something card, or screwing around with a flexible card and a TSR or something." But no, it's on those lists because it's flexible enough to sync that weird crap, 15-30khz or so, not that it is itself fixed. **mind explodes**

So yah, perusing the manual here... https://manualzz.com/doc/51867624/nec-diamond … 20c-user-manual

Note that it's got a funky pinout on the HD15 pins, needs a different cable than normal monitors, but otherwise works for VGA, SVGA... annnd EGA... but then where it goes on about color restrictions for TTL and other TTL settings it kinda loses me. Does it seem like it should also sync CGA or Hercules??? The scan rates seem right, but I can't tell from the "interesting" version of English used, and the blodgy bits from the fax, whether it has a particular setup of the switches required, limiting palette or something. Also not sure in which situations I might need to set the high impedance switches on the BNC inputs. Not sure why they wouldn't mention CGA if it did it, but then it was released in the early 90s, maybe wanted to sound forward looking not stuck in the past. Yeah, btw, I have been finding ppl using them with Amigas and CoCos if you were gonna mention it for mine.

Long time no juicee too, what's the minimum I should do, blast out the dust and inspect for leaks and brown stuff? I believe I had it powered and doing something many moons ago, but it's been dormant more than a decade.

Damn tho, if it does it all, I'm probably gonna end up with an immensely complicated cascade of switchboxes and KVMs so I can get several machines hooked up 🤣

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.