VOGONS

Reply 20 of 41, by sofakng

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mrfusion92 wrote on 2023-03-02, 21:30:

This. I use OSSC and a PCIe video capture card.

Which PCIe capture card do you use?

I've used the OSSC and it's successor (the DExx) and the results are definitely really good. The only thing missing are the scanlines/CRT filters.

However, I've always been interested in an HDMI capture card but I think even the -best- ones have a frame or so of lag.

Reply 21 of 41, by mrfusion92

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sofakng wrote on 2023-03-02, 21:35:

Which PCIe capture card do you use?

I've used the OSSC and it's successor (the DExx) and the results are definitely really good. The only thing missing are the scanlines/CRT filters.

However, I've always been interested in an HDMI capture card but I think even the -best- ones have a frame or so of lag.

It's a Digitnow 4K video capture card. It's not the best at all. But the only cheap one (it was around 100€) I could find that supports the 70 Hz.

About the lag, OSSC shouldn't add any based on what I understand about how it works. The capture card it may definitely have some lag but I just don't notice it.

Reply 22 of 41, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pentiumspeed wrote on 2023-03-02, 21:10:

These two Nec models is not available on ebay. Is there other alternative models for Nec

Like I said, you may look for similar EIZO models. Or maybe look for an 1980FXi, which also was manufactured around 2006. Although I have no info about scaler capabilities on that one, because OSD is older.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 23 of 41, by JustJulião

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I bought a theorically excellent 4:3 LCD three times. Eizo Flexscan L565.
Twice shipped, once taking it in person. None of them pleased me with quality. I think not all technologies age well. Backlight or brightness seem uneven and even excluding that, it just doesn't look good, like "washed out". I got the exact same issue on all of them, so I think this is related to its TFT technology (I think it's TN technology). It was greatly praised back in the day.
My very simple Hyundai is much better. I also have a Dells at work (I can get the model number if needed) which all have very good image and still working. But it has black bezels, not suitable for me for being paired with old hardware.
Always pick your LCD personally and ask for seeing it working in person, because even honest sellers often just get used to the image and don't see its issues.

IMG_20230303_102943.jpg
Filename
IMG_20230303_102943.jpg
File size
660.54 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
Last edited by JustJulião on 2023-03-03, 13:15. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 26 of 41, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
JustJulião wrote on 2023-03-03, 09:39:
I bought a theorically excellent 4:3 LCD three times. Eizo Flexscan L565. Twice shipped, once taking it in person. None of them […]
Show full quote

I bought a theorically excellent 4:3 LCD three times. Eizo Flexscan L565.
Twice shipped, once taking it in person. None of them pleased me with quality. I think not all technologies age well. Backlight or brightness seem uneven and even excluding that, it just doesn't look good, like "washed out". I got the exact same issue on all of them, so I think this is related to its TFT technology (I think it's TN technology). It was greatly praised back in the day.
My very simple Hyundai is much better. I also have a Dells at work (I can get the model number if needed) which all have very good image and still working. But it has black bezels, not suitable for me for being paired with old hardware.
Always pick your LCD personally and ask for seeing it working in person, because even honest sellers often just get used to the image and don't see its issues.

IMG_20230303_102943.jpg

Hi,

That's very decent quality for that age but unfortunately the backlight film layers is ruined by excessive time exposed to very hot heat. We see that often on ipads when anyone ruined the LCD's backlight film layers by heating too long to get it apart.

How it works in DOS games, with 70hz resolution, also in 640x480?

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 27 of 41, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was digging through my old LCDs and there is one 4:3 LCD monitor I don't mind: the HP LP2065. It's a 20" screen with 1600x1200 resolution (proper 4:3 aspect ratio).

It's an older TFT display so contrast isn't great and it does have that "washed out" look that JustJulião mentioned. It's just the nature of older TFT panels unfortunately.

That said, it works well in various resolutions I've tried it with and supports 70Hz input for DOS gaming (see screenshots). Though it does have a 60Hz panel so you will get judder. It's not what I would call great, but in absence of a proper CRT, it's not the worst display in the world.

I should note I own three of this particular model and this is the best of the bunch. The other two have some backlight issues I need to sort out.

I've also tested others like the Dell 2007FPb, NEC Multisync 2170NX, Eizo Flexcan L771, etc. The HP LP2065 is my favorite of the bunch.

Attachments

• HP LP2065 01.jpg
    Filename
    HP LP2065 01.jpg
    File size
    480.8 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • HP LP2065 02.jpg
    Filename
    HP LP2065 02.jpg
    File size
    629.66 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • HP LP2065 03.jpg
    Filename
    HP LP2065 03.jpg
    File size
    509.12 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • HP LP2065 04.jpg
    Filename
    HP LP2065 04.jpg
    File size
    515.65 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • HP LP2065 05.jpg
    Filename
    HP LP2065 05.jpg
    File size
    390.4 KiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by Shponglefan on 2023-03-04, 13:41. Edited 2 times in total.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 28 of 41, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

"washed out pixels" by the colors or while the screen is too big?
Because I use old TFT's everywhere I got used to it. If I am looking for contrast and black-values you are right it's more like darker grey than black,
but I don't care. I will definitely not use bulky CRT's anymore even if I have them and also I am not using anything above 17" because it don't fits in my Desktop-Setups and the lowres-images are too big on those 19"/20+" screens. But that's only my opinion.

It's OK for me:
XT/CGA (PLT) https://youtu.be/MSvx0ddJREk
A2K VGA https://youtu.be/P2z_6hgYvcs

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 29 of 41, by Vic Zarratt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

good makes of lcd monitors from 1998-2004 are philips, benq, taxan, fujitsu siemens, liteon, goodmans and samsung.
look into them

I manage a pot-pourri of video matter...

Reply 31 of 41, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Shponglefan wrote on 2023-03-04, 03:41:

It's a TFT display so contrast isn't great and it does have that "washed out" look that JustJulião mentioned. It's just the nature of TFT panels unfortunately.

No, it's not nature of TFT, which is general identification for all modern LCD displays (TN, xVA, IPS, PLS). That's probably just an old crunchy S-IPS panel. Or maybe something else, because HP were switching panels without notice, just like DELL.

I've tried it with and supports 70Hz for DOS gaming (see screenshots).

Support in OSD means nothing. I've yet so see any 1600x1200 panel of that era to output 70-75Hz without frame skipping.

Reply 32 of 41, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2023-03-04, 11:01:

Support in OSD means nothing. I've yet so see any 1600x1200 panel of that era to output 70-75Hz without frame skipping.

Correct, I've amended my post accordingly.

I just meant that it will work with DOS based modes (resolutions/refresh), not that it would necessarily produce a judder free image.

Last edited by Shponglefan on 2023-03-06, 01:10. Edited 1 time in total.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 33 of 41, by JustJulião

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shponglefan wrote on 2023-03-04, 03:41:

It's an older TFT display so contrast isn't great and it does have that "washed out" look that JustJulião mentioned. It's just the nature of older TFT panels unfortunately.

The Serpent Rider wrote on 2023-03-04, 11:01:

No, it's not nature of TFT, which is general identification for all modern LCD displays (TN, xVA, IPS, PLS). That's probably just an old crunchy S-IPS panel. Or maybe something else, because HP were switching panels without notice, just like DELL.

I pointed a specific TFT technology, TN, which equips the Eizo and I assume don't age well, but it's not the case for all TFT's of this era. The Hyundai I'm mentionning is only one year newer. Dell's are 3 years newer (ok that's starting to be notable). They are perfectly fine.
Here is an interesting list of this era's LCD monitors with a review of this specific Eizo. On other chapters of this comparison there are also different TFT technologies explained, including the TN one.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/comparis … -15,409-16.html

pentiumspeed wrote on 2023-03-04, 02:42:
Hi, […]
Show full quote

Hi,

That's very decent quality for that age but unfortunately the backlight film layers is ruined by excessive time exposed to very hot heat. We see that often on ipads when anyone ruined the LCD's backlight film layers by heating too long to get it apart.

How it works in DOS games, with 70hz resolution, also in 640x480?

Cheers,

To be honest I just got it out for the picture, it's stored. I won't even dare to resell it I think. So I can't reply to your question unfortunately.

Last edited by JustJulião on 2023-03-04, 13:54. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 34 of 41, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just meant that it will work with DOS based modes

That practically never was a problem, from my experience with old PC LCDs.

Last edited by The Serpent Rider on 2023-03-04, 15:27. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 35 of 41, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr.zeissler wrote on 2023-03-04, 07:54:

"washed out pixels" by the colors or while the screen is too big?
Because I use old TFT's everywhere I got used to it. If I am looking for contrast and black-values you are right it's more like darker grey than black,

Yes, I meant washed out in terms of brightness and contrast.

That's the biggest issue I had with LCDs in general is that just look dull in comparison to a CRT. Even modern LCD displays lack the level of brightness that gives CRT screens that visual "pop".

You're right that if one just uses LCDs, you may not end up noticing the difference. But putting a CRT alongside an LCD and the differences becomes readily apparent.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 36 of 41, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
JustJulião wrote on 2023-03-04, 13:45:

The Hyundai I'm mentionning is only one year newer. Dell's are 3 years newer (ok that's starting to be notable). They are perfectly fine.

Which specific models are those? I don't own any Hyundai LCD monitors, so it might look to get one for comparison.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 37 of 41, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had with LCDs in general is that just look dull in comparison to a CRT. Even modern LCD displays lack the level of brightness that gives CRT screens that visual "pop".

CRTs really suck even in moderately lit environments, because they are grey by nature. And well, typical PC CRT brightness hardly can go beyond 150cd/m2. And after 20+ years, that hardly would reach even 100 cd/m2.

Last edited by The Serpent Rider on 2023-03-04, 14:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 38 of 41, by JustJulião

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shponglefan wrote on 2023-03-04, 13:49:
JustJulião wrote on 2023-03-04, 13:45:

The Hyundai I'm mentionning is only one year newer. Dell's are 3 years newer (ok that's starting to be notable). They are perfectly fine.

Which specific models are those? I don't own any Hyundai LCD monitors, so it might look to get one for comparison.

The Hyundai is the ImageQuest L70S. It's not white/beige but it fits the machine it's attached to not too bad.

20220710_205815.jpg
Filename
20220710_205815.jpg
File size
170.55 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Dell's are in my working place, I'll check later. But I think it wouldn't help you much because they switched panels even in the same models.

Reply 39 of 41, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

https://www.prad.de/technische-daten/monitor- … t/hyundai-l70s/
https://www.prad.de/technische-daten/monitor- … cusync-lcd71vm/

Not a big difference, but 71vm can do 15/24/31 khz and 50hz native. Please test this on your L70s.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines