VOGONS

First post, by crapasanya

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello guys, I've had a Voodoo 2 for years, but I've never seen it work.

How did I get it and why do I want to fix it specifically:

When I was about 7 years old, my father's friend died, and his mother, left alone, distributed his things to all her friends. Gradually, dad began to bring all sorts of interesting ancient things. Then, my parents decided to take care of her for the rest of her life (she was over 70), and all the remaining things became common. So I happily "drowned" in retro computers. Including there was 3DFX Voodoo 1.

So, now to the problem. The card was flooded (with rest of the house), but in the off state and not for very long. There were 2-3 oxides, I soldered them. I also checked the TMU and FBI legs with tweezers, everything is fine. I also soldered RAMDAC (why not, and I wanted to solder) and small elements that raised questions. I also suspect that C57 and C32 are faulty because they have dark areas inside, but I'm afraid to touch them so they don't fall apart.

Of the equipment I have multimeters, a soldering iron with different (including thin) stings, a hot air station, a digital microscope, an oscilloscope and a component tester. Everything is low-mid budget category (inexpensive, but far from the cheapest)

When I try to launch, for example, Quake 2, I get "glide2x.dll expected voodoo, none detected" and then "grSstSelect: non-existent SST", there is no tab in the desktop properties, in the list of devices "for this device drivers are not installed". Mojo writes "TMU PowerOn Sense 0x11", "DpmiUnmapMemory", in the log file it says

• sst1InitRegisters(): LFB Writes go through memory FIFO...
    sst1InitRegisters(): TEXTURE Writes go through memory FIFO...
    sst1InitRegisters(): exiting with status 1..."

Also, pass-through video does not work, the monitor does not even turn on.

Board photos will be in next post

P.S. I already soldered that suspicious pin at the bottom of the TMU, before that I was getting 0xdead. I also double checked the connection of the tracks I restored at the back and the absence of short circuits between them.

Attachments

Last edited by crapasanya on 2023-03-25, 10:39. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 6, by crapasanya

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Board photos. I had to upload some of them to Google disk because they wouldn't uplad eve after manual resizing to less tham 2MiB

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SMls3rlJi32u … ?usp=share_link
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mNWXL9nD_dGA … ?usp=share_link

Attachments

Reply 2 of 6, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

L11 doesn't look good. C105 is on an angle for some reason. I would check all capacitors and ferrites with a multimeter.
The best test for these is in a pure dos environment with Tomb Raider 1 3dfx.

Also have a look at my post here 3dfx Voodoo 1 fault diagnosis and repair

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 3 of 6, by crapasanya

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Imperious wrote on 2023-03-27, 00:18:

L11 doesn't look good. C105 is on an angle for some reason. I would check all capacitors and ferrites with a multimeter.

I checked L12 and L13 a couple of days ago, they are fine. I have no idea why L11 didn't raise questions for me. Perhaps I resoldered it earlier due to oxides (like many other things). C105 also lookes suspicious and on the same day I resoldered it, because, apparently, one end of it was torn off from board. After that and soldering a few more places, including the TMU leg, I ended up here, instead of 0xdead. And thank you very much, I will try your instruction. For some reason it is not indexed by Google (like many discussions here), so I did not see it.

Reply 4 of 6, by crapasanya

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Imperious wrote on 2023-03-27, 00:18:

It works! Even the pass through! It turned out that I just fixed it right at the time of writing the first message. Thanks for the diagnostic tip, everything works in DOS, and in Windows it worked after installing another driver. As a result, it turned out to be an oxidized leg at the bottom of the TMU is the reason of 0xdead. Always check the connection of the pins of the chips first.

Attachments

Reply 5 of 6, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did notice the oxidised leg on the photo but sometimes that just be the way the Camera took it.

Anyway Great to see another V1 fixed.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 6 of 6, by crapasanya

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Imperious wrote on 2023-03-31, 00:13:

I did notice the oxidised leg on the photo but sometimes that just be the way the Camera took it.

Anyway Great to see another V1 fixed.

By the way, now I'm fixing a Voodoo 2 with the same backstory and I need help