VOGONS

First post, by fellthrutmewarp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, first time posting here! Been a casual PC tinkerer for years, but recently got into watching Phil's Computer Lab videos, which has gotten me playing around with my piles of computer parts again.

Anyways looks like Phil often uses a Radeon HD 7770 for high-end WinXP builds (when using AMD). Was surfing ebay and I ended up impulse-buying an ASUS Radeon HD 7850 1GB for 33USD total. (is that a decent price? I have no idea 🤣. I'm located in US)

( https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/asus-hd … -directcu.b1241 )

Went to install the WinXP driver from AMD website (Catalyst 14.4 pack 2 dated 4/25/2014) and found it installed everything except the actual video driver. Found a video from Phil that mentioned using Snappy Driver to fix this issue, and that worked! Thanks for that Phil!

Anyways, I'm using the 7850 with a Dell XPS 410 (aka Dimension 9200) core 2 duo E6600 (2.4GHz) and 4GB DDR2-800, mainly because that is the best I have on hand which can run WinXP and fit the card inside without hitting the OEM cooler. (32Bit WinXP Pro SP3, fresh install on aligned SSD)

Video driver 9.00.300.3010, Video BIOS 015.018.000.001 dated 2012-05-23, Catalyst 2013.1223.216.3934 (not sure where the "14.4" from the AMD website comes into play on any of that, but ok)

Finding the card doesn't really run all that great, I'm assuming because the CPU is really holding it back. (but could you confirm?) I'm mainly testing with Need for Speed Underground 2. Previously I was using an AMD FirePro V3900 1GB low profile card that I had on hand (which is same/similar as a Radeon HD 7570) but found it would have abrupt lag moments with Vsync on, and average just barely 60fps with Vsync off. (Full details, 1280x1024, centered timings, 4x AA 4x AF) Also worth noting, the game would sometimes crash now and then on the V3900 with Vsync off and these settings applied.

Thought the HD 7850 would help the situation, but found I can't really push past 4x AA and 4x AF either. Found the Vsync-on performance to be a bit better with less noticeable lags, but with Vsync off the game reliably crashes after 15 seconds or so of gameplay.

Also found GTA Vice City would not load at all with the HD 7850. When starting a new game it just sits and idles with a blank screen at the first cutscene. Doesn't lock up the computer, just acts like it's waiting for user input. This game seemed to generally work fine on the V3900, but I didn't test it extensively.

Another thing I noticed on the 7850 is the AMD Overdrive section in the Catalyst control panel is greyed out/disabled. Is this to be expected? (maybe it's not available in WinXP and/or this driver version?) Under Win7 it's available on the adrenaline control panel, so was able to at least test out the fan by using Win7. (FirePro doesn't list an overdrive section at all, I assume since it's not a Radeon card)

And finally, noticed the 7850 card makes a funny whistling/hissing sound when sitting idle. Not SUPER loud, but can be slightly annoying. Comes and goes with varying loudness. Doesn't really change with "load". (but NFSU2 may not be loading the card very much...) Speakers drown it out easily. Not coming from the card's fan - it occurs even when the fan is off. EDIT: seems to go away when the fan IS running

I am guessing a capacitor is screeching? Is this a sign of impending failure? (I could return the card still...) Or is this common and benign?

Sorry if that's a long post haha... Thanks in advance for your thoughts and help!!

Reply 1 of 11, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My late Windows XP computer is a P5Q Pro Turbo with a Xeon X5460. I had a two gigabyte HD 7850, but when playing Half Life 2 it would have weird issues when using the flashlight in dark areas. I tried different driver versions to see if I could eliminate that, but I was never able to. I picked up a one gigabyte HD 6850 and I'm using the Catalyst 13.9 driver; this eliminated all issues with Half Life 2. Benchmarks: 3D 03 67,826, 3D 06 17,637, 3D 2001 51,935.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 3 of 11, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The E6600 will be holding back the CPU, I would suggest getting a Core 2 Duo E8500 as the best value fast CPU if you're doing strictly XP gaming (a Core 2 Quad if you're going to use Windows 7 too).

In vice city you may need a frame limiter - or at least try the game with the built in frame limiter turned on. GTA 3, VC and San Andreas have physics engines that run at 30fps (well "25 minus 5 fps") so the power is not really needed anyway. In 3 the menu won't load up properly (it will be invisible but navigatiable) if you run the game on modern hardware so hundreds of frames in the menu. Toggling my MSI afterburner frame limiter makes it appear and disappear.

Just a thought what is your power supply? It might be struggling if crashes happen once vsync is turned off

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 4 of 11, by bartonxp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here's some specs pulled from the internet, from a post and not from the box.

PC Minimum System Requirements
===========================
Intel Pentium 3 933 MHz or AMD Athlon XP 1.2 GHz
256 MB of RAM (For Windows 98 / Windows ME)
nVidia Geforce 2 or ATI Radeon 7500 with 32 MB Video RAM
DirectX 8.1

Recomended System Requirements
==============================
Intel Pentium 4 with 1.4 GHz or AMD Athlon XP with 1.5 GHz
512 MB of RAM (Windows 2000 Pro / Windows XP Pro)
Nvidia Geforce 3 or ATI Radeon 8500 with 64 MB Video Ram
DirectX 9.0c

The CPU should be OK and you're using an ssd, your hardware shouldn't be holding you back. Maybe try a monitoring tool and see if that reveals something when it lags. Also try playing without AA and see if that changes anything.

Cards usually whistle under load so idle could be a sign of an impending hardware failure. Is it consistent and just gets drowned out by other noise, or does it go away under load? Try more tests and see if a consistent issue emerges when the card is pushed. Crashing is a good sign of a problem.

Reply 5 of 11, by porschemad911

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm using a 3 Gb Radeon 7970 with Catalyst 14.4 (have not tried 13.12) in my 32-bit WinXP machine. For a CPU I'm running an AMD FX-8320 with one core per module disabled. I run at 2560 x 1440 where possible, and the 7970 has pretty nice performance. Eg it can push decently high levels of forced AA etc in games like Bioshock and be running at 100+ FPS or be in the 50 - 60 FPS range in Crysis with high setttings. At a guess a 7850 would be about 2/3 the performance of a 7970 on average, so should still be pretty good. I've got 4 Gb RAM installed and this plus the 3 GB VRAM of the 7970 does not cause any issues at all.

The other card I have installed in my WinXP machine is a GTX 780 - mostly to avoid rendering issues with Star Wars KOTOR, but I do test it out on other games as well. The GTX 780 can definitely push higher FPS than the 7970, although sometimes I find that a particular setting in the Catalyst Control Panel will kill performance on the 7970 more than I'd expect. Tweak that and FPS shoots back up.

From what I remember Phil doesn't use Snappy Driver Installer for video card drivers, but has a separate manual installation fix for Radeon cards (navigate to the driver file via Device Manager manual driver update).

Cheers,

John

Reply 7 of 11, by fellthrutmewarp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the comments - Power supply is the original OEM DELL 375W

From what I can see, the ASUS Radeon HD 7850 comes in 1GB and 2GB models:

1GB (and 1 fan): https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/asus-hd … -directcu.b1241

2GB (and 2 fan): https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/asus-hd … rectcu-ii.b1683

I heard Phil say to use snappy driver here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTFv4x8srL0&t=3m4s

Sounded similar to my situation, so I went with it. (WinXP, AMD Radeon, 14.4 pack 2, everything installed except actual video driver)

But in searching for that clip, I heard him say the same thing you mention, here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5QjZJvook8&t=11m23s

So may try that approach as well in future.

In GTA VC I turned on the frame limiter through the game settings, and that got it working. I previously had Vsync forced ON in the catalyst control panel, but I guess the game is not affected by the driver setting. Or maybe Vsync was still allowing too many frames (like if it picked 120fps). No idea.

As for the card - after using it for a longer duration (20-30 minutes) I noticed a strong burning smell coming from it 🤣 so I contacted the seller and they were kind enough to issue a full refund.

Thanks for your help everyone!

Reply 8 of 11, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

gta vc (and iii and sa), half life 2 and dozens of other games from the xp era i have found will run just fine in windows 7 64 bit with whatever drivers windows 7 wants for various graphics cards that are from the windows 7 era

that's cd/dvd installed games rather than gog etc

so that's another option, in case ever needed

Reply 9 of 11, by pixel_workbench

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try driver 12.4
https://pixelworkbench.com/2022/05/17/amd-cat … ystery-deepens/

For optimal performance with 13.x and 14.x drivers on GCN graphics cards (hd7000 series) you need not just a faster cpu but a newer cpu generation, like Sandy Bridge.

Also the 14.4 drivers have a common problem with installation, you need to run the installer to extract the package, and then install the driver manually from device manager using the location where the driver package was extracted.

My Videos | Website
P2 400 unlocked / Asus P3B-F / Voodoo3 3k / MX300 + YMF718

Reply 10 of 11, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Alternative WinXP drivers (bottom of the page) : LINK

14.4_packs.png
Filename
14.4_packs.png
File size
45.37 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Source for above info : LINK
They should fix "no install" issue for some cards.