VOGONS

First post, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It finally ended in his youtube channel. (but no, he is not the owner)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrWfhbqURC4

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 1 of 15, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Interesting that that $15,000 purchase fell through. I guess the seller decided he didn't want to part ways with it after all.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 2 of 15, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keenmaster486 wrote on 2023-05-08, 02:44:

Interesting that that $15,000 purchase fell through. I guess the seller decided he didn't want to part ways with it after all.

more likely joke bids, and showing card on LTT to build the hype before next auction

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 3 of 15, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-05-08, 05:30:
keenmaster486 wrote on 2023-05-08, 02:44:

more likely joke bids, and showing card on LTT to build the hype before next auction

Seconded. Auctioning "tricks" are well worth the "price" to give it a chance on LTT.

Reply 5 of 15, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TrashPanda wrote on 2023-05-09, 09:16:

I’d love to see LGR test this card out, he really knows his stuff for testing these old gpus out and could really show off what this GPU was capable of.

I have nothing against LGR's style which serves very well a specific type of videos, so don't get me wrong this is not about LGR or what he knows, just the suitability. I believe that special hardware like this deserve more deep and technical reviews rather than light-hearted chatter and duke nukem 3d on a pc with a wooden case.

Reply 6 of 15, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's a gaming card so you have to test it with games. I think you will find there is a diminishing return to sticking more VSA-100 chips on a card. The Voodoo 4500 is just one chip and the Voodoo 5500 doesn't show 2x the performance of the 4500 so the 6000 series will be even worse (and would be interesting to see the numbers).

Even if you only get say 25% more FPS then a 5500 that is still the best GLIDE native results you will ever see, and the rarity commands a price premium.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 8 of 15, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Unknown_K wrote:

I think you will find there is a diminishing return to sticking more VSA-100 chips on a card.

Since VSA100 is mostly fillrate cruncher and nothing else, scaling should be pretty linear and won't be affected by adding more chips. Not on such low numbers anyway.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 9 of 15, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

VSA-100 is limited by poor geometry throughput, and SLI doesn't solve this bottleneck. So with a bit more modern game you can easily see performance of V4 4500 / V5 5500 and V5 6000 more or less the same. But you can get 4x AA for free.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 10 of 15, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
konc wrote on 2023-05-09, 09:39:
TrashPanda wrote on 2023-05-09, 09:16:

I’d love to see LGR test this card out, he really knows his stuff for testing these old gpus out and could really show off what this GPU was capable of.

I have nothing against LGR's style which serves very well a specific type of videos, so don't get me wrong this is not about LGR or what he knows, just the suitability. I believe that special hardware like this deserve more deep and technical reviews rather than light-hearted chatter and duke nukem 3d on a pc with a wooden case.

Agree, LGR is my favourite of the Retro channels but he's not very technical, even by his own admission.
That said he's very watchable and would still like to watch him review the card.

I watched Gamers Nexus video on the card and thought he did it justice, I don't often watch his videos but seems to know his stuff and his coverage of the EVGA-Nvidia split was also well done.
I Haven't watched the Linus one yet. Also a nice guy but typically focused on modern stuff and can fall into the anything old is bad sterotype "This still has a PS/2 port? eww" yet sometimes he slips and references old tech in a positive way
Anthony from that same channel is unashamedly into old tech though and enjoy his videos as well.

Reply 11 of 15, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got the feeling that the LTT video was a pet project of Anthony.
Linus obviously remembers 3dfx, but I don't think he ever had that much hands on experience with the tech. I think he is a little bit young.
Still cool to see the card getting some recognition for what it is.

Reply 12 of 15, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

They had Voodoo 2 SLI setup video long time ago and used some footage from there in recent video. But yeah, you had to deliberately start to collect in 2000s, when 3dfx was readily available and cheap.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 13 of 15, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2023-05-09, 14:59:

They had Voodoo 2 SLI setup video long time ago and used some footage from there in recent video. But yeah, you had to deliberately start to collect in 2000s, when 3dfx was readily available and cheap.

Yeah they did do that video, I think Linus generally does his homework. Or someone does it for him at least.
I like LGR videos, particularly his retrospective series are entertaining and informative.
There are a ton of great retro channels that I would have picked over either one of them for this video, many are members of Vogons present or past.
But really none of them have the enormous audience that Linus has....so I guess that makes sense.

Reply 14 of 15, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mandrew wrote on 2023-05-09, 10:14:

So what was the last valid bid?
https://imgur.com/a/qBLu04H

Also why didn't he offer it to the second or third guy for nearly $15K?

Well 2nd dude looks like a shill bid and got banned, possibly why 1st guy maybe didn't consider bidding valid, and there's 2 other bidders there that looked like they kept placing a bid then cancelling it, then placing same bid again, super sus looking. IDK if it was just trolling or some dicks trying gamesmanship on the bidding, trying to psych out other bidders with high bids that would get withdrawn so their account with a low bid won it or some convoluted shit. Whatever, if I was top bidder and saw all that it would feel like I was being played, whoever was behind it.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 15 of 15, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I get very low feedback shill bidders driving up the price of cheap stuff I bid on, people doing that for high end rarities should be taken for granted.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software