VOGONS

First post, by Brute389

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello All,

I recently came into possession of a Point of View Geforce4 TI 4200 XP, which is kinda neat as it is basically an overclocked 4200 that uses a 4600 board. I confirmed the gpu was working fine for a couple of weeks when I decided to swap out the cooler on the card for something newer and quicker. After I put the new board on, the card initially worked well but then it started to show visual artifacts in windows 98 and it progressed to where now it shows it on the bios bootup too.

I decided to take a look at the board and see if I could find anything to indicate the issue, and I came upon this near one of the mount points of the vga cooler. It appears I may have damaged the resistors around R956-R964. Unfortunately, I do not have a picture of the before or a diagram to show if there are any resistors missing or I did indeed damage them.

I wanted to reach out to see your thoughts and if this looks like a potential culprit for my now video problems. If so, what would my avenue be for identifying/fixing it? Unfortunately, I do not have any equiment whatsoever to fix it so if I could outsource to a service I could be interested in that. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20230508_192019.jpg
    Filename
    20230508_192019.jpg
    File size
    290.98 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Geforce4 TI 4200 Resistors
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 1, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is also potentially a cut trace just below the mounting screw, however I fear your problem is less likely to be physical components as you said the card worked OK initially after the cooler swap.

This suggests to me that the card has either overheated (bad cooler mount) or possibly been over-volted as a result of the missing components.

You might get lucky and the missing/damaged components have caused a reduction in voltage or signal strength that the card initially coped with, but this seems less likely.