VOGONS

First post, by Chuck

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I have a GeForce FX 5200 which can is perfect for some dos/win95 gaming, but since the fan was doing a lot of noise I zip tied on it a cooler from an 486sx CPU. Looks like to be cooling it well, but has a power draw of ~11w (12v 0,9a), power hungry compared to the original (12v 0,11a).

To be on the safe side I've connected directly to the PSU, since I don't know the video card TDP (cannot find it anywhere), the agp slot maximum power draw and if the fan connector for the video card can deal with and an higher power one. Can somebody more expert tell me if will be fine? Thanks

Reply 1 of 5, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If it is the size of regular 486 fan that is quite a power hungry one. Not that it should cause problems to a setup with solid PSU, but modern bigger fans may serve better. 5200 can probably ran easily cooled passively anyway.

Reply 2 of 5, by Chuck

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Putas wrote on 2023-05-10, 13:04:

If it is the size of regular 486 fan that is quite a power hungry one. Not that it should cause problems to a setup with solid PSU, but modern bigger fans may serve better. 5200 can probably ran easily cooled passively anyway.

I had the 486 cooler of the dimension of the stock cooler so I mounted that, my question is if the FX 5200 will be alright with a fan connected to it's connector which consumes 10 watt more then the original and the fan+video card combination won't require too much power from the agp slot.

Reply 4 of 5, by tomcattech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Putas wrote on 2023-05-10, 13:04:

Agreed,

I'd just put on a high quality heat sink and make sure that your case has good air movement.

If you wanted to get creative you can directly screw in most small cpu fans into the heat sink grid.

Got a pic of your case and where the card is sitting?

Reply 5 of 5, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have EDMpapst 120mm or so 25mm thick true backwards curved centrifugal blower, rated for 8W on 12V and is 5,100 rpm at this wattage and really moves air, also pressurizes well.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.