VOGONS

Reply 20 of 32, by Robx66

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Another try......this time on old 14 inch crt monitor.
Started tomb raider demo under dos and this is the screen I got 😀

Next try will be installing sound card to check if can get any sound from game. Got an old sound blaster 16 vibra or something like that.
Maybe in a week time or so.

Attachments

Save vintage / retro computers from ending up in the bin. Keep them in working condition. It's a great history !

Reply 21 of 32, by Robx66

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, there is no need to try sound card as when it runs with voodoo in it freezes the computer 😒

Save vintage / retro computers from ending up in the bin. Keep them in working condition. It's a great history !

Reply 22 of 32, by Rwolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The board seem to have had some rough time, so it might be good to check for broken lines where you have scrape marks.
Checking for loose pins on the larger chips are also a thing, sometimes one cannot see an open solder pad connection easily.
(I sometimes listen for loose pins/pad solder by softly scraping along the pins with a toothpick)

Reply 23 of 32, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mine froze as it had a bad Ram chip attached to the FBI. I could get it working by limiting the ram available to 1MB.
In autoexec.bat You can try disabling the TMU or FBI chip and limiting the memory to each to 0, 1, 2MB.
i would first try disabling the TMU as tomb raider will work with no texturing.
Try all combinations, that's how I figured out what was wrong with mine.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 24 of 32, by Robx66

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Rwolf wrote on 2023-05-24, 22:49:

The board seem to have had some rough time, so it might be good to check for broken lines where you have scrape marks.
Checking for loose pins on the larger chips are also a thing, sometimes one cannot see an open solder pad connection easily.
(I sometimes listen for loose pins/pad solder by softly scraping along the pins with a toothpick)

It has couple of scratches but not bad ones so I checked them and they fine. Chip legs...... I think I did check them about three times 🤣 only two needed soldering.

Reply 25 of 32, by Robx66

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Imperious wrote on 2023-05-25, 00:21:
Mine froze as it had a bad Ram chip attached to the FBI. I could get it working by limiting the ram available to 1MB. In autoex […]
Show full quote

Mine froze as it had a bad Ram chip attached to the FBI. I could get it working by limiting the ram available to 1MB.
In autoexec.bat You can try disabling the TMU or FBI chip and limiting the memory to each to 0, 1, 2MB.
i would first try disabling the TMU as tomb raider will work with no texturing.
Try all combinations, that's how I figured out what was wrong with mine.

I didn't know that you can disable TMU or FBI and it will work ? I thought that if it has only one TMU and one FBI like voodoo 1 it won't work at all if I disable them. I think I know how to limit the memory, seen it somewhere about disabling TMU but how to do it with FBI ?
Could you kindly attach what it need to be in autoexec.bat to do those things with tmu and fbi plus limiting memory please if you dont mind?

Reply 26 of 32, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

download/file.php?id=157969&mode=view

I would try playing around with memory sizes first. It likely won't work with FBI disabled. I could get Tomb Raider working with 1MB available to the FBI.
You can definitely still get just a non textured Lara with TMU or it's memory disabled.
Of course the Ram may not be faulty.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 27 of 32, by Sky92

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

As this is my first post on the entire forum, I am not sure whether I should make my own thread or join in here.
I am betting on this thread here, as starting two threads with the same issue in the same month is unlike what I know to be appreciated in other forums so far...? But excuse me if I assumed incorrectly!

I am experiencing this very same issue with my recently purchased V 1 card... (First V1 experience ever)
Got the V1 in what looks like mint condition. My exact card is the Guillemot MAXI Gamer3D version with a brown board.
But obviously, it doesn't work...

I tried several different driver versions and eventually came across this thread... I tried following this and got to download this Mojo thing and execute it in DOS. However, I haven't a clue as of how to get this full log report back?
I just get the basic reading. (which does vary from the one Robx66 got)

Testing Tomb Raider with 3dfx patch I do get sound. But like OP, I also get a blank screen / sleep mode... And that's it...
Half-Life setup for 3dfx denies I have the right hardware.
GL Quake won't start at all...
Wizmark claims 3D Hardware support was not found...

The card is there according to my system... But it refuses any kind of service besides passing through 2D image from my ATI Mach 64...

(Rest of System it's in)
IBM PC330 - 6577
Intel Triton 82430HX
Socket 7 - Pentium 200 MMX (original P133)
80MB EDO RAM (1x16 + 2x32)
Creative SB AWE64 value
ATI Mach 64 - 2MB (instead of onboard S3 Trio 64+)

All of which works like a dream. All components are in good working or even mint condition. Much like the V1 would appear to be optically... But then, I am not an expert...

I hope someone knows how to get it working through software solutions only, and at it's full 4MB capacity...?
I have no means nor expertise to solder delicate electronics such as this... If that is what needs to happen, I may have to return the card in hope of a refund...

Reply 28 of 32, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You need MiniGL for GLQuake.
What Monitor are You using? Does it support refresh rates like 70hz?
What Windows 3DFX drivers have You tried?

Reply 29 of 32, by Sky92

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Imperious wrote on 2023-05-25, 13:06:

You need MiniGL for GLQuake.
What Monitor are You using? Does it support refresh rates like 70hz?
What Windows 3DFX drivers have You tried?

Got MiniGL for GLQuake = Same problem

I am using a Fujitsu-Siemens C17-3 LCD monitor.
Same monitor I am using on my PIII-733 V2 gaming rig without any issue.
I runs up to 75hz @ max 1280x1024.

I have tried the most recommended options from Phils computer lab such as version 3.00 and 3.01
I have tried the Iceman's version and eventually even an Iso of what appears to be 3DFX's original auto-installer CD back in the day.
All of them make my card appear as "installed and working"
None of them make it actually work...

I read some people got their V1 to work by simply swapping it over to different PCI Slots... I have only three. All three work the same... No change.

Reply 30 of 32, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It would be best to concentrate on Dos Tomb Raider as there are no potential Windows driver or other software issues that can mess things up.
Make sure to use a Proper Dos boot, not run from within Windows.

What I am wondering is whether Your system is getting mixed up with the onboard video. Try removing the ATI card and see if it works with the S3 Trio.

Reply 32 of 32, by Sky92

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you both for your replies. It's really appreciated!
Alas, due to work I had little to no time to continue this project...

Finally having had some time to go at it again, I think I have been able to conclude there must be a problem with the Voodoo card.
Because the IBM has a tiny, 90watt PSU, I tested the V1 directly on the S3 before I ever hooked it up to the desired Mach 64, simply to run a power consumption test, making sure it wouldn't overload the PSU when running everything together.
Don't think I can ever say for sure until I get a working V1 in there, but since I got zero working results on the S3, I just popped my Mach 64 back in and hooked it all up... Thus far staying within the PSU's capacity... But obviously with the same results... Nothing, exactly =)

I can't get Tomb Raider to work in anything other than software mode...
And now that I have added Unreal to the mix as well I can confirm that the V1 still doesn't work.
Unreal will not start in Glide.

To make sure the IBM will take a Voodoo at all, I went a little further and mounted a V2 via the Mach64 as I had intended with the V1... And suddenly everything works like a charm... (and within PSU limits)
Half life suddenly works, GL Quake works... Tomb Raider works but goes a little pink/purple?

Base line: V2 works... V1 does not, whatever I try.
Lucky for me, the guy I got it from is very forthcoming about the failing tests, and is willing to take it back.