VOGONS

First post, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I got this card with the 5150 I purchased on eBay recently.

It appears to be dead. I need to figure out why and fix it, as this is a hard to find card. I was lucky to guess that it was in the 5150 before I bought it based on the layout of the jacks on the back of the machine.

The 5150 works perfectly fine with a CGA card and a clone EGA card that I tried.

When the IBM EGA card is inserted, the system boots with no beeps, but no video signal makes it to the 5153 monitor. It keeps the white snow without grabbing a sync and going dark.

No combination of jumper/DIP settings on the card or the motherboard fixes it.

Looking the card over, I don't see any obvious damage or problems.

My immediate suspicion is capacitor failure but I don't see visual signs of that. I could just replace all of the tantalums and see what happens.

If a chip has failed, I'm out of my league with figuring that out. I might need some tips on that. I'm handy with a multimeter and soldering iron but pretty unknowledgeable on what all of those chips are doing.

IMG_9848.jpg
Filename
IMG_9848.jpg
File size
1.26 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
IMG_9849.jpg
Filename
IMG_9849.jpg
File size
1.23 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 1 of 17, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I guess the first thing is check all voltages, see if there is a short to confirm your potential tantalum failure hypothesis.

If the voltages are OK I'd then be getting as many datasheets for the ICs as I could to see if you can probe the pins for sticking reset or using a logic analyzer (or better, an oscilloscope) to check that signals are as expected.

Reply 2 of 17, by kdr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Once you've checked the basics on the card (correct voltages, no shorts) a good next step would be to determine if the video BIOS on the card is readable / intact. My go-to method for this is to just load up DEBUG.EXE and use the "D C000:0" command to dump the first 128 bytes of the VBIOS. I usually use an MDA card for this purpose, but you could also use a CGA card. (In this situation, configure the motherboard switches for MDA or CGA, depending on which card you have installed.)

When you configure the switches on a 5150 for EGA/VGA display, what you're actually doing is telling the BIOS there is no display attached. If for some reason the option ROM on the EGA card isn't readable, the video BIOS will never be run, and won't get a chance to POST and initialize the card. You won't get any error beeps in the scenario. If the option ROM is readable, the video BIOS will run a very thorough POST check of the EGA hardware and it *will* complain loudly if it finds anything wrong.

Very early revisions of the 5150 BIOS (the ones on the 16-64K system boards) did not support option ROMs at all but I think it's unlikely that your machine has one of these early revisions.

Reply 3 of 17, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kdr wrote on 2023-05-18, 09:15:

Very early revisions of the 5150 BIOS (the ones on the 16-64K system boards) did not support option ROMs at all but I think it's unlikely that your machine has one of these early revisions.

In that case it would also be unlikely that the EGA card was in there, as it never would have worked in that configuration.
Unless the machine was just randomly thrown together from parts before selling.
But indeed, it doesn't hurt to check the BIOS date of the machine, and replace it with an updated one if required.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 4 of 17, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
paradigital wrote on 2023-05-18, 07:22:

I guess the first thing is check all voltages, see if there is a short to confirm your potential tantalum failure hypothesis.

If the voltages are OK I'd then be getting as many datasheets for the ICs as I could to see if you can probe the pins for sticking reset or using a logic analyzer (or better, an oscilloscope) to check that signals are as expected.

That makes sense, yes.

kdr wrote on 2023-05-18, 09:15:

Scali wrote on 2023-05-18, 12:01:

In that case it would also be unlikely that the EGA card was in there, as it never would have worked in that configuration.

Yes, the machine has a 16-64K motherboard, but it also is equipped with the latest BIOS. It's clearly been upgraded significantly since it came with 640K of RAM through AST cards, the EGA, a 135 watt power supply, and a combo floppy/HDD controller.

Reply 6 of 17, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The plot thickens. This card works perfectly fine in my IBM PC/AT. HWINFO16 reports "EGA Color" and 64 KB of RAM. A little test program I'm working on that uses graphics mode 0Dh works fine.

When in the 5150, and the jumper settings set according to the IBM EGA manual, I get the one long + two short beeps, indicating video BIOS ROM error. Not sure why I wasn't getting that before. I might have set the DIP switches wrong.

Reply 7 of 17, by Rwolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There are some switches you must set on both the PC & XT system board when using the EGA on the older systems.
Page 79 in the link below.

https://www.minuszerodegrees.net/oa/OA%20-%20 … s%20Adapter.pdf

(Memories...that EGA card was ordered with the first IBM/AT @6MHz , no less, that I got at work.
Except it was delivered 6 months after the AT itself, so I had to get a cheaper 3rd party board with 256kB RAM
meanwhile, and got Windows 1.0 bundled with it too.
The IBM board was eventually used to test some software gfx compatibility by another team, once it arrived.
As I recall, the IBM ram expansion boards for 64k->256k cost about 5000 SEK at that time, never got those.)

Reply 8 of 17, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Rwolf wrote on 2023-06-02, 19:00:

There are some switches you must set on both the PC & XT system board when using the EGA on the older systems.
Page 79 in the link below.

https://www.minuszerodegrees.net/oa/OA%20-%20 … s%20Adapter.pdf

I do have those set. Without them, nothing happens, no beeps.

Reply 9 of 17, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

More progress.

The 5150 produces the one long + two short beeps with both the IBM EGA card and a different, known working clone EGA card.

When I remove my network card (a Racal Interlan NI5210C-10BT), the system boots and displays video with both EGA cards.

That network card is not configured to conflict with either the I/O address or the video RAM of the EGA.

I'm a little confused as to why I get that 1long+2short beep no matter what.

Reply 10 of 17, by Rwolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It could be the Network card has a simplified IO address decoder, there is sometimes not a full address decoder implemented in the hardware, so extra address ranges could be overlapping without being properly documented - I've seen that on some boards. Any known conflicts could perhaps be found on that website as well.

looking at the Racal board, you have both IO and memory mapping

I guess you have this manual too; if not, check page 2-4 regarding EGA card memory mapping conflict:

https://archive.org/details/racal-inerlan-10b … up?view=theater

ps. you've got a TP-adapter for that card, right? That cable connector is a bit unwieldy.

Last edited by Rwolf on 2023-06-02, 21:35. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 11 of 17, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Possibly, yes. The network card also has a BIOS ROM on it. Maybe that is conflicting.

I have to wait until next week to work on the 5150 more, though, since I have some parts coming in the mail for it.

My previous post was unclear. Here are the failure states so far:

1. IBM EGA or clone EGA inserted, no network card, DIP switches set correctly on cards and motherboard: one long and two short beeps, system boots and works regardless.
2. IBM EGA or clone EGA inserted, network card inserted: one long and two short beeps. No video display.

Removing all of the other cards does nothing to fix the beeping. Both EGA cards work fine with no beeps or issues in my PC/AT 5170.

Reply 12 of 17, by Rwolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Using EGA on that PC requires a specific BIOS version; dated 10/27/82
There is a note about a bug in this BIOS with under-populated RAM banks which can cause the beeps, at the very bottom of the page:

https://www.minuszerodegrees.net/5150/misc/51 … ch_settings.htm

But I guess you know all this.

Reply 13 of 17, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, I have the correct BIOS version. Everything that's in the docs on minuszerodegrees I have followed as far as I am aware.

Reply 14 of 17, by Rwolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There is a simple fault that can be checked easily with a tester; the jumpers themselves can have poor connection due to oxidation or cracked solder joints / cut copper lines. If so, you could have an explanation to the beeps.

Reply 15 of 17, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keenmaster486 wrote on 2023-06-02, 20:53:

Possibly, yes. The network card also has a BIOS ROM on it. Maybe that is conflicting.

That's exactly what is happening. 8 bit ethernet cards would often allow you to set the UMA window for the onboard boot ROM to anywhere in the upper address space (including C000 which is where all video option ROMs live) since they expected to be used along side MDA/CGA cards with no video BIOS

Reply 16 of 17, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
maxtherabbit wrote on 2023-06-04, 14:52:

That's exactly what is happening. 8 bit ethernet cards would often allow you to set the UMA window for the onboard boot ROM to anywhere in the upper address space (including C000 which is where all video option ROMs live) since they expected to be used along side MDA/CGA cards with no video BIOS

You may indeed be right. But I missed this in the Racal card's manual as posted by Rwolf earlier:

Screenshot from 2023-06-06 13-29-15.png
Filename
File size
108.69 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

That was dumb of me.

I'll have to try this again.

Reply 17 of 17, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keenmaster486 wrote on 2023-06-06, 19:31:
You may indeed be right. But I missed this in the Racal card's manual as posted by Rwolf earlier: Screenshot from 2023-06-06 13- […]
Show full quote
maxtherabbit wrote on 2023-06-04, 14:52:

You may indeed be right. But I missed this in the Racal card's manual as posted by Rwolf earlier:
That was dumb of me.

I'll have to try this again.

Ah ok so it wasn't the boot ROM, but a memory mapped packet buffer. Same result in either case, I was still right about the cause being a C000 memory conflict 😀