VOGONS

First post, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can’t for the life of me finding a working driver for Win98se. I boot into windows, install the driver, restart as directed and then it freezes on the Windows 98 splash screen. I’ve tried on an Asus p3b-f and an Intel 815 motherboard with every driver here on Vogons. The 815 was eventually able to boot with the Neon250 and the following message in device manager. I would assume an IRQ conflict but I’ve stripped both machines down to just cpu/video/memory. Any suggestions appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_0733.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_0733.jpeg
    File size
    1.47 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 6, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've never experienced any issues with my Neon 250 as you're describing. I used the drivers available here on vogonsdrivers. It's a long time since I tested my card, so I can't remember which board(s).

Maybe Gona can give some help, he has a Neon 250 as well.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 3 of 6, by Hanamichi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

From rough recollection....

Oldest drivers - Most SGL compatiblity - Needs oldest neon vbios, Intel CPU max 600Mhz? PIII, PII or Xeon (Tanner)
2nd oldest drivers - Medium SGL compatiblity - Needs Intel CPU max 600Mhz? PIII, PII or Xeon (Tanner)
Newer drivers - Less or no SGL compatibility - You add specific patches for >= 1GHz CPU, any AMD CPU, DX compatability improvements

My experience
- black screens without newer drivers and the 1GHz patch on a Tualatin, 815e
- error on boot without newer drivers and AMD CPU patch, for a Thoroughbred, KM133
- 0 issues when using older drivers without patches on a Pentium Xeon 550 2MB (Tanner), 440GX even when overclocked

- you might want to force AGP 2X or even 1x on some systems

Useful thread:
Ultimate PowerVR SGL card/rig/games?

Edit: when I mention AMD patch, it could of been AMD CPU support needs the newer drivers.. something like that

Reply 5 of 6, by Hanamichi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For some reason dropping a 1400 Tualatin down to 66Mhz FSB - @700MHz did not alleviate my issue on the 815e platform.
(Multiplier is locked)

Maybe it will work for you
If not switch to a PII/lower PIII + 440BX combo should def work

Reply 6 of 6, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got it running guys! Applied the 393 patch and started getting the black screen as mentioned. Went back into my bios and remembered I had changed the “Video Memory Cache Mode” when attempting to troubleshoot. I set this from USWC back to the default UC and viola! Booted into windows and ran GLQuake no problem, even at 1400Mhz. This was on the Asus p3b-f. Thanks for the help everyone!