VOGONS

First post, by antiriad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I managed to get an NVIDIA 6800 PCIe (6-Series) Card to work on my Windows XP with a PCIe to PCI Bridge Device without any issues using the 93.71 Forceware Driver.
However, on the same Hardware, Windows 98 doesn't seem to be able to recognize the Card but it is only recognized as Standard VGA Adapter.
Every NVIDIA Driver I try I get the "NVIDIA Card not present error"

Here are the drivers I tried so far.

- 82.69 (Modified)

I suspect that the PCIe to PCI bridge is not Properly recognized in 98 and it somehow cannot pass the right information on the card to the OS.
Has anyone encountered this issue before?

Thanks

Reply 2 of 45, by antiriad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was somehow able to force install the Drivers by the "Have Disk Option" but I am now getting a black screen with the message "While initializing device CONFIGMG: Windows protection error. You need to restart your computer" I can only boot into safe mode.

The system has 512MB or RAM and the GPU is 256MB.

Same goes for both

- 82.69 (Modified

Reply 3 of 45, by mihai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

usually pcie gpus have resource conflicts in windows 98. If you have the option to change the AGP aperture in the bios, then change it to 32mb or lower.

your complete system specs could be helpful to debug the issue.

Reply 4 of 45, by chuky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I haven't tried but there are hacks that let you run an Nvidia card with 512 Mb of memory or more. The Geforce 6800 has 256 Mb but maybe it does something.
https://archive.org/details/PTCHNVSZ

Other hacks for Windows 9x
http://lonecrusader.x10host.com/rloew/rloew.html
https://archive.org/search.php?query=cr ... h+R.+Loew"
Rudolph Loew apparently passed away in September 2019
https://rloewelectronics.com

Reply 5 of 45, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
antiriad wrote on 2023-05-22, 15:48:
I managed to get an NVIDIA 6800 PCIe (6-Series) Card to work on my Windows XP with a PCIe to PCI Bridge Device without any issue […]
Show full quote

I managed to get an NVIDIA 6800 PCIe (6-Series) Card to work on my Windows XP with a PCIe to PCI Bridge Device without any issues using the 93.71 Forceware Driver.
However, on the same Hardware, Windows 98 doesn't seem to be able to recognize the Card but it is only recognized as Standard VGA Adapter.

- 82.69 (Modified)

I suspect that the PCIe to PCI bridge is not Properly recognized in 98 and it somehow cannot pass the right information on the card to the OS.

Thanks

PCIe-to-PCI bridge? Are you referring to PEX8111/PEX8112? Which chipset does your motherboard have?

I once tried such bridges mainly for attaching NVMe SSD for data. It worked correctly on a G41 but on an older i865 I couldn't make it work properly.

Can you provide any information from Windows 98's Device Manager? Maybe you need to look at the System Devices section to see if there's anything with a yellow exclamation mark, or if there is any unknown device in Other Devices section that appears suspicious.

Reply 6 of 45, by antiriad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
LSS10999 wrote on 2023-05-23, 00:19:
PCIe-to-PCI bridge? Are you referring to PEX8111/PEX8112? Which chipset does your motherboard have? […]
Show full quote
I managed to get an NVIDIA 6800 PCIe (6-Series) Card to work on my Windows XP with a PCIe to PCI Bridge Device without any issue […]
Show full quote

- 82.69 (Modified)

Thanks

PCIe-to-PCI bridge? Are you referring to PEX8111/PEX8112? Which chipset does your motherboard have?

I once tried such bridges mainly for attaching NVMe SSD for data. It worked correctly on a G41 but on an older i865 I couldn't make it work properly.

Can you provide any information from Windows 98's Device Manager? Maybe you need to look at the System Devices section to see if there's anything with a yellow exclamation mark, or if there is any unknown device in Other Devices section that appears suspicious.

I believe the Chip on the Bridge is PEX8111. I am also attaching a Full report from Everest with all the Hardware details.
The motherboard is a Supermicro P4SCT
North Bridge: i875P
South Bridge: Intel 6300ESB
AGP Version: 3.00
AGP Aperture: 128MB

There are no AGP Specific settings in the BIOS so there is not much I can do there.

Attachments

• Filename
    Report.txt
    File size
    91.79 KiB
    Downloads
    45 downloads
    File comment
    Everest Info
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 7 of 45, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
antiriad wrote on 2023-05-23, 00:35:
I believe the Chip on the Bridge is PEX8111. I am also attaching a Full report from Everest with all the Hardware details. The m […]
Show full quote
PCIe-to-PCI bridge? Are you referring to PEX8111/PEX8112? Which chipset does your motherboard have? […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

- 82.69 (Modified)

Thanks

I believe the Chip on the Bridge is PEX8111. I am also attaching a Full report from Everest with all the Hardware details.

There are no AGP Specific settings in the BIOS so there is not much I can do there.

Do you have anything with yellow exclamation marks in System Devices section of the Device Manager? What about Other Devices section? Is there anything that looked suspicious?

Reply 8 of 45, by Cosmic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
I believe the Chip on the Bridge is PEX8111. I am also attaching a Full report from Everest with all the Hardware details. The m […]
Show full quote
Show full quote
Show full quote

- 82.69 (Modified)

Thanks

I noticed a couple things in the Everest report:

• There are a lot of unprintable characters in the report. I've never seen that before, not sure if it's relevant to anything.
  • There are some "optional" devices attached. Firewire (IEEE 1394) controller, serial & parallel ports, FDC, optical drives, Soundblaster, etc. You could try removing/disabling these in the BIOS to free resources in case there is a resource conflict or just to reduce the number of moving parts.
  • You have Dell U2410 which is one of the best monitors ever made, nice choice. :)

Reply 9 of 45, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like the report file is a bit corrupt. I wonder why.

Fortunately, I could find the important part. The system did recognize the PCIe-to-PCI bridge, but it doesn't appear to have any port or memory range info. How did it show up in Windows 98's Device Manager?

[ System devices / PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge ]
<Unreadable text>
Driver Provider Microsoft
INF File MACHINE2.INF
Hardware ID PCI\VEN_10B5&DEV_8112&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_AA,PCI\VEN_10B5&DEV_8112&SUBSYS_00000000,PCI\VEN_10B5&DEV_8112&REV_AA,PCI\VEN_10B5&DEV_8112
<Unreadable text>
PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge [NoDB]

Reply 10 of 45, by antiriad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
LSS10999 wrote on 2023-05-23, 01:14:
Looks like the report file is a bit corrupt. I wonder why. […]
Show full quote

Looks like the report file is a bit corrupt. I wonder why.

Fortunately, I could find the important part. The system did recognize the PCIe-to-PCI bridge, but it doesn't appear to have any port or memory range info. How did it show up in Windows 98's Device Manager?

[ System devices / PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge ]
<Unreadable text>
Driver Provider Microsoft
INF File MACHINE2.INF
Hardware ID PCI\VEN_10B5&DEV_8112&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_AA,PCI\VEN_10B5&DEV_8112&SUBSYS_00000000,PCI\VEN_10B5&DEV_8112&REV_AA,PCI\VEN_10B5&DEV_8112
<Unreadable text>
PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge [NoDB]

I was getting some blue screens when trying to get a report generated. This is from one of the times it wasn't crashing. I think the PCI-to-PCI is a standard driver and it is not related with the PCIe bridge. Everest sees the PCIe NVIDIA card . So I am assuming it works . It might not need any drives since it also worked fine is DOS.

I am also seeing some ?marks. I will try to get some more info in the AM.

Reply 11 of 45, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
antiriad wrote on 2023-05-23, 01:38:

I was getting some blue screens when trying to get a report generated. This is from one of the times it wasn't crashing. I think the PCI-to-PCI is a standard driver and it is not related with the PCIe bridge. Everest sees the PCIe NVIDIA card . So I am assuming it works . It might not need any drives since it also worked fine is DOS.

I am also seeing some ?marks. I will try to get some more info in the AM.

PCIe, AGP, and some onboard device interfaces all appear as PCI devices to software, so a PCIe-to-PCI bridge is technically a PCI-to-PCI bridge like many others.

I wonder what might be causing the BSODs when you generate system reports... though I'm aware Win9x was notorious for its tendency to BSOD.

Reply 12 of 45, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

To get it to work properly, you are most likely going to have to heavily modify the .inf file.
You will need to:

1. Find the PCI ID that the card is reporting to Windows.
2. Look at the .inf for the XP driver. There are most likely going to be multiple sections that are used by that PCI-ID.
3. Look at the .inf file for the modified 9x drivers.
4. If there are any PCI-IDs that use the same sections in the XP driver that are present in the 9x driver, then you can simple add your card's ID to the same sections in the 9x driver and it should work.

If not, you are probably in for a nice piece of work to add your card's PCI-ID to the 9x driver to get it to work properly.

Really, it should probably work with just adding the PCI-ID to the correct driver section in the 9x driver.

It is a 256 MB card so no nVidia fix patch should be needed for 9x.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 13 of 45, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2023-05-23, 02:48:
To get it to work properly, you are most likely going to have to heavily modify the .inf file. You will need to: […]
Show full quote

To get it to work properly, you are most likely going to have to heavily modify the .inf file.
You will need to:

1. Find the PCI ID that the card is reporting to Windows.
2. Look at the .inf for the XP driver. There are most likely going to be multiple sections that are used by that PCI-ID.
3. Look at the .inf file for the modified 9x drivers.
4. If there are any PCI-IDs that use the same sections in the XP driver that are present in the 9x driver, then you can simple add your card's ID to the same sections in the 9x driver and it should work.

If not, you are probably in for a nice piece of work to add your card's PCI-ID to the 9x driver to get it to work properly.

Really, it should probably work with just adding the PCI-ID to the correct driver section in the 9x driver.

It is a 256 MB card so no nVidia fix patch should be needed for 9x.

Yeah, I forgot about that. From what I remember nVidia's Win9x driver doesn't really include the IDs for the PCIe ones. Only the AGP ones were there. Definitely need to mod the INF for that purpose.

On the other hand, nVidia's NT4 drivers (77.72) do have PCIe IDs and that one supports up to all of the 6 series. 7 series need the 81.98/82.69 to work (and that was only available for Win9x not NT4).

I think you don't need to change too many places in the INF to slip in the ID of your PCIe card.

Reply 14 of 45, by antiriad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
LSS10999 wrote on 2023-05-23, 00:42:
Show full quote

Do you have anything with yellow exclamation marks in System Devices section of the Device Manager? What about Other Devices section? Is there anything that looked suspicious?

There are 4 "Unknowns"
1. PCI Programable Interrupt Controller
2. PCI System Management Bus
3. PCI System Peripheral
4. Unknown Device

Reply 15 of 45, by Duffman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@antiriad

Looking at that report you posted, I don't see anything listed with Nvidia's Vendor ID - 10DE
I think your card might not be being detected in win98.

Have you checked that it is properly detected?

MB: ASRock B550 Steel Legend
CPU: Ryzen 9 5950X
RAM: Corsair 64GB Kit (4x16GB) DDR4 Veng LPX C18 4000MHz
SSDs: 2x Crucial MX500 1TB SATA + 1x Samsung 980 (non-pro) 1TB NVMe SSD
OSs: Win 11 Pro (NVMe) + WinXP Pro SP3 (SATA)
GPU: RTX2070 (11) GT730 (XP)

Reply 16 of 45, by antiriad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Duffman wrote on 2023-05-23, 13:21:
@antiriad […]
Show full quote

@antiriad

Looking at that report you posted, I don't see anything listed with Nvidia's Vendor ID - 10DE
I think your card might not be being detected in win98.

Have you checked that it is properly detected?

The report might not have included the PCI info but from what I can see under Everest the Geforce 6800 is showing the following

Device ID: 10DE-00C1
Subsystem ID: 10DE-0245

I think it matches this card: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/2678/asus … 6800-256-040903

Also by looking into the NVAML.INF File (82.16 Modified) in the driver folder I see the following entries for the 6800

NVIDIA&DEV_0041.DeviceDesc="Nvidia Geforce 6800"
NVIDIA&DEV_0211.DeviceDesc="Nvidia Geforce 6800"

So do I need to change these entries in the .inf to match the 0245 ID or maybe the 00C1?

Reply 17 of 45, by Duffman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@antiriad

Your device ID - 10DE-00C1 - is an NV41 nvidia Geforce 6800, so the driver should work with it. For whatever reason though it's not listed in NVAGP.INF
You should be able to add it in to the INF though, then you should be able to install the driver.

Reply 18 of 45, by antiriad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Duffman wrote on 2023-05-23, 13:52:

@antiriad

Your device ID - 10DE-00C1 - is an NV41 nvidia Geforce 6800, so the driver should work with it. For whatever reason though it's not listed in NVAGP.INF
You should be able to add it in to the INF though, then you should be able to install the driver.

I was able to install the driver manually from the Modified 82.62 which has 00C1 in the inf (The installer still fails to identify the NVIDIA Chipset and I get a warning that the chosen driver is not writen for this hardware) but I get the "Windows Protection Error" like before. I also tried a 7900 GS BFG (10DE-0292)and get the same issue. Also Windows Protection Error.

I tried the 6800 due to better driver support in W98 but I get the same issue.

Reply 19 of 45, by Duffman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@antiriad

Try disabling your integrated graphics in BIOS?