VOGONS

Reply 40 of 45, by antiriad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
LSS10999 wrote on 2023-05-25, 06:21:
cyclone3d wrote on 2023-05-25, 05:39:

That's not how it works at all. PCIe cards all pull power through the PCIe slot. Anything past the 75W limit of the PCIe slot requires an additional power plug or plugs on the PCIe card.

A card like nVidia 6800 should have its own molex connector for power. A bit of googling suggested that PCI slots can drive ~25W while PCIe slots can drive ~75W as you said.

So one may run into issues with medium power PCIe video cards that draw between 25-75W and without any external power connector. In that case, the adapter would need an external power supply but so far I haven't seen one that provides such.

If Power was the case I wouldn't be able to operate the card in Windows XP. The system has 3 Partitions (DOS/Win98 and Windows XP)

Reply 41 of 45, by antiriad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
LSS10999 wrote on 2023-05-25, 00:58:
Usually the adapter in this case, which allows a PCIe device to be plugged into PCI slot, does not require external power for it […]
Show full quote
cyclone3d wrote on 2023-05-24, 16:00:

Does that PCI to PCIe adapter have a power plug for PCIe power?

Have you tried it in all the different PCI and PCI-X slots?

Having to have cards in specific slots to get them to work properly was pretty common back in the day.

Usually the adapter in this case, which allows a PCIe device to be plugged into PCI slot, does not require external power for its own operation.

However, adapters that do the opposite (allowing PCI devices to be plugged into, say, PCIe x1 slot), usually have external power connectors that needs to be connected.

I don't know which slot OP put the adapter and video card into, but from what I remember, having cards in specific slots will only help if you have issues with IRQ (wrong or conflicting). It won't be of too much help for memory range related issues.

There is a Memory Conflict not IRQ. Unfortunately, the issue could be with the "Motherboard Resources" and the "PCI-to-PCI Bridge". I have no way to tamper with the memory location since both don't allow to modify these in Manual mode.

Reply 42 of 45, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
antiriad wrote on 2023-05-25, 14:14:

There is a Memory Conflict not IRQ. Unfortunately, the issue could be with the "Motherboard Resources" and the "PCI-to-PCI Bridge". I have no way to tamper with the memory location since both don't allow to modify these in Manual mode.

I recall having similar memory range conflicts with a GeForce 6200 AGP on an old 440BX board that required me to set AGP aperture size to 32MB or less to fix it. It's not just that 6200, all GeForce 6 series cards I could plug into it had that issue.

In the end, this probably really looks like some kind of ACPI-related issues with your board on Win9x, but it does not affect WinXP.

Reply 43 of 45, by Duffman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
LSS10999 wrote on 2023-05-25, 15:31:

In the end, this probably really looks like some kind of ACPI-related issues with your board on Win9x, but it does not affect WinXP.

I had an issue with a sound card that would not work at all in windows 98 until I did a reinstall of the OS and turned off ACPI.

@antiriad

I know reinstalling an OS can be a tedious thing, but it'll be worth it if it resolves your issue.

MB: ASRock B550 Steel Legend
CPU: Ryzen 9 5950X
RAM: Corsair 64GB Kit (4x16GB) DDR4 Veng LPX C18 4000MHz
SSDs: 2x Crucial MX500 1TB SATA + 1x Samsung 980 (non-pro) 1TB NVMe SSD
OSs: Win 11 Pro (NVMe) + WinXP Pro SP3 (SATA)
GPU: RTX2070 (11) GT730 (XP)

Reply 44 of 45, by antiriad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Duffman wrote on 2023-05-25, 15:46:
I had an issue with a sound card that would not work at all in windows 98 until I did a reinstall of the OS and turned off ACPI. […]
Show full quote
LSS10999 wrote on 2023-05-25, 15:31:

I had an issue with a sound card that would not work at all in windows 98 until I did a reinstall of the OS and turned off ACPI.

@antiriad

I know reinstalling an OS can be a tedious thing, but it'll be worth it if it resolves your issue.

I will make a full partition backup and see if I can reinstall it at a later time.

However, I was able to make some progress and I can now see my Nvidia 7900 recognized after I make the following changes.

1. Disabled ACPI in Windows by Regedit HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Detect\ "ACPIOption 0x00000000 (0)"
2. Disable ACPI in BIOS
3. After reboot goto Control panel/Add New Hardware/Next/Next/NO/Next/System Devices/Next/highlight(standard system devices in the left pane and scroll to Plug in and Play BIOS(fail safe)in the right hand pane and ok it apply it and let the system re-detect your hardware and point it to the correct drivers. Reboot
4. System now sees NVIDIA 7800 and I am able to install the Drivers. (Modified Version)
5. The Second PCI-to-PCI Bridge is still showing some conflicts. The "Motherboard Resources" seems to have resolved it's conflic.

After rebooting the Nvidia 7900 seems to be working but I am experiencing a total system freeze after 30+ seconds.
It seems to reinstall the OS might solve this issue.

I will probably leave this on the back burner for a while since I put a lot of effort into this.
If I manage to get some progress I will port an update.

Thanks, everyone for your valuable advice.

Reply 45 of 45, by mihai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

windows 98 requires a tactical approach to installation 😀

1. a 'prepared' windows 98 iso can be installed in 60 - 90 seconds, with quickinstall - Re: Windows 98 SE QuickInstall

2. after the install, prior to installing any drivers, the partition should be imaged; it can be then quickly restored, without reinstallation, in case of errors / instability.