VOGONS

First post, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello,

I am building an old Pentium 4 661 build and wanted to use it as an everyday machine with SSD and 4GB DDR2, using linux as o.s. being lighter and going for Wine app to launch old games and I found a Radeon X300SE 128M (Dell) video card that felt like a good basic linux friendly passive card with an old style OpenGL 2.1 acceleration I was sure it would have worked in everything, web browser included. I found instead that modern Chromium based browsers won't use its OpenGL/hw acceleration while Firefox still can (tested with online WebGL test) and wondering why the R300 & similiar gpu series seems to be discontinued; even disabling the blacklist from the flags page it still don't use its OpenGL 2.x acceleration that should be enough for most web apps. It works in firefox, it works in the 3D apps with the quite good Radeon driver but something changed with this web browser it use the software renderer even when everything is enabled.

Any suggestions? I tried also a HD4650 card that instead works ok as expected but I wanted to use a very low end old OpenGL compatible card. I suppose these old GPU begin to be blacklisted in Chromium even if they should have the acceleration needed for basic rendering (beside video decoding of course). The card is seen as OpenGL 2.1 accelerator and even in the :gpu page of the browser it both shows the software rendering layer and the device information at the end of the page with the Hardware acceleration theorically available but not really used. I suppose this line explain the problem:

Gpu compositing has been disabled, either via blocklist, about:flags or the command line. The browser will fall back to software compositing and hardware acceleration will be unavailable.
Disabled Features: gpu_compositing

Thanks

Reply 1 of 3, by Minutemanqvs

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Don’t they maybe blacklist cards based on the driver used? There are different open source drivers depending on the card generation…I have no experience with them since a long time so I can’t help much more.

Look at the second post on https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/ch … v/c/09NnO6jYT6o if it points to a bug report?

Searching a Nexgen Nx586 with FPU, PM me if you have one. I have some Athlon MP systems and cookies.

Reply 2 of 3, by the3dfxdude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Minutemanqvs wrote on 2023-05-23, 18:06:

Don’t they maybe blacklist cards based on the driver used? There are different open source drivers depending on the card generation…I have no experience with them since a long time so I can’t help much more.

Look at the second post on https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/ch … v/c/09NnO6jYT6o if it points to a bug report?

That's an old post. r600 gen driver does work on chrome today, I can confirm, and so does the OP.

I cannot know if this is a distinction, but the r300 driver on linux, like the x300se, supports OpenGL 2.1, and the r600 driver, like the hd4650, supports OpenGL 3.3. Maybe report what chrome://gpu says?

Reply 3 of 3, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

From the gpu page there are the classic first part with listed the software rendering features and after that the line posted above which explain acceleration is disabled, then the Driver Workarounds as usual, the Vulkan and SwiftShader driver being used and interesting at the end of the page there's the Device Performance Information or whatever is called which list the real hw features green as enabled with the correct RV370 gpu informations, but I'm sure it doesn't use this but the first part above. I remember something like that in Windows 8.1 happened with old PowerVR SGX gpus being discontinued but it could have been forced with command line to actually really use the (slow!) Direct3D9 (to OpenGL ES) even without ANGLE layer. I tried the same tricks on Ubuntu but looks like not really enabling direct hardware acceleration. It happens with the RV370 and certainly not with the RV730 which as said above is seen as OpenGL 3.x with the Radeon/Mesa driver.

As soon as I copy the gpu page informations I'll post it here anyway. I suppose this is probably something that happens with modern Chromium engine/ANGLE/drivers reading from who knows which version. I was thinking if the 128MB video memory might be something recognized "not enough" who knows. On the driver side the open Radeon/Mesa driver is of course the only that can still work in modern linux kernel/distributions and quite well. That's not a fast card of course but should be just ok for the office tasks.