VOGONS

First post, by vutt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have used mid 2000-sh HP1955 LCD monitor for my retro needs. It worked, however I decided to dive back to CRT world. Managed to source locally for cool 5EUR Sony Multiscan E100 monitor. I can't believe I have managed to forget all that CRT experience...

I had back in early 90-es some sort of no-name 14'' monitor shaped like ball 😀 Build in 80-es and ended up as humanitarian aid for post-soviet countries. So it's revisiting old for me. However this one sports Trinitron late CRT era tube with fully digitized drive menu. Everything they say is true about CRT - motion fluidity and those blacks - btw I do not have yet modern OLED screen in household so this little flat screen CRT is the best performing screen in deep blacks, contrast and motion category.

So few positives I have managed to forgot:
1) 14" is perfect for 320x200 gaming - big enough not to have to lean forward and small enough to smooth VGA res pixilation. Probably Trinitron tube makes it even more impressive. I have never owned Trinitron TV/Monitor before.
2) There are graphics modes when interface on LCD looks like smeared with Vaseline. Like Impulse and Fast Tracker UIs.
3) Even this budget oriented Sony offering has 85Hz refresh rate for up to 1024x768 modes. I have SIS SS7 motherboard with build in VGA. I haven't found out yet utility how to pre-set refresh rates in native DOS. Workaround is to start first Win 3.11 with proper refresh rate and only then can dos image viewers like pictview and qpeg pic up max refresh rates.
4) DOS demo scene demos are actually running how there designed by creator. There is some extra magic/fluidity that LCD cant deliver. It might be just me.

There are some downsides as well:
- Mine turned out to be pretty filthy inside: Re: Post pics of your CRT monitors Also when I turned it on first time it made some zapping noise and blinked with 3 - 4 min intervals. However it stopped after 2h on time. I still decided to open case and blow as much as possible dust away followed by some final touches with brush. btw no buffed caps (Jamicon). So one must be careful when getting 20+ year old tech. Thick dust layer will have cooling impact. Plus it smells 🙁 Should I start searching for big enough ultrasonic cleaner 😀
- My CRT is not bright enough compared to modern LCD-s. However it is perfect for dark room. No color banding, shadows are very smooth...

Now I have new issue - after tasting CRT again I probably will start hunting bigger one for Win98 gaming or even modern gaming in living room. First I need to reinforce my TV table though...

Reply 1 of 3, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It can be a rabbit hole but it ceratinly is difficult to find stuff that hasn't seen huge hours of use. I once got a 17" monitor where previous owner had accidentally spilled water into in past. I repaired the few bad parts in it and it actually gave a super bright and nicely focused image suggesting it died early on in its life and I simply lucked out with the fix. Now that monitor lives in Germany with a friend who appreciates it.

The zapping noise and blinkng is because of dust and humidity. Cleaning it all out will fix these problems. You especially want to clean up the flyback transformer and anode cable and the surroundings of them. That is where high voltages that can jump physical distances are created.

As far as motion performance goes, not even OLED exceeds that so a kinescope will have a place at least in gaming for a while longer. I think only laser based setups can possibly exceed the motion performance.

For modern gaming in the livingroom the options are a bit limited, vast majority of TVs will not take anything beyond 15KHz (240p/288p/480i/576i only) and monitors sort of top out at 20" range which is a bit too small for a livingroom environment. HD capable TVs were pretty much only sold in USA although in Europe some late-mid 90s 100Hz TVs may have VGA input that can do 480p60 and 400p70 (enough for DOS and low res Windows) but getting something that can do more is quite unlikely since there was no market demand it seems. Such TVs also crappily frame double the 15kHz sources and it makes them terrible for retro consoles etc. unless you use something like OSSC to use that VGA input when present, since it bypasses all the crappy early digital processing. VGA input in general is quite uncommon, I lucked out on a 32" kinescope from Osta.ee some years back that had VGA on some models in the same series, after a bit of hacking I gave it to the model I got and I could play Doom and Duke on it 🤣.

Attachments

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 3 of 3, by vutt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@Tiido Yeah no "zapping" after cleaning. I have have been using it more than week now.
As for main Livingroom CRT setup for modern gaming I was half joking. Big CRT screens are not practical, besides finding something in perfect working order is challenge. Besides I have modern device with VGA input in my living room providing 4k@60Hz / FullHD@240Hz 92" screen. 😀 Hint: Optoma However it sadly does not support DOS resolutions. Still good one for Win9x and up retro gaming.

I'm not ruling out getting bigger PC 17" CRT monitor at some point however...