VOGONS

First post, by predator_085

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After finally getting the first part of upcoming win 98 gaming pc I need some specific card recommendations.

I decided to get myself a socket 754 Gigabyte K8VT800M. The "hunt" for the processor has not finished yet but i am getting either a sempron 3100 one of the athlon 64s.

GPU wise I want a geforce. Either a gf3, 4 or maybe geforce mx 440.

Which of these cards would make the most sense with that motherboard a sempron 3100 or athlon 64 powerwise for 1997 to late 2000 games?

ps: If possible I also want to add second card to system Voodoo 2 the PCI version for glide gaming

Do you guys know if a V2 card would work with socket 754 mb and rather fast amd sempron or athlon 64 or would this be over the top and i should remove the voodoo 2 from my private specs of my future rig?

Last edited by predator_085 on 2023-05-30, 06:12. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 7, by danieljm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm sure other people will be more knowledgeable than me, but I think a GeForce MX card will be a little under-powered, but will be so much easier/cheaper to get your hands on. If you don't mind spending more, I think an socket 754 system should be able to take advantage of the extra power in a GeForce 4 Ti card. But either way, all this hardware came out a couple years after your late 2000 games time limit, so it's probably all going to be good.

A Voodoo 2 card should be fine in your system. I don't believe they were speed-sensitive like the Voodoo 1 cards. However, I would only recommend you buy one if it's really important to you to play Glide games on original hardware. If it isn't, you should be able to use the nGlide wrapper to play most Glide-only games just using your GeForce card. For me, I get a lot of satisfaction using actual 3Dfx cards, so that matters to me, but if you just want to play the games, I wouldn't spend the money buying a real card.

Reply 3 of 7, by predator_085

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@All thanks for your reply.

@danieljm I have already though of getting glide wrapper too but despite the hight price I want to own a Voodoo 2 card . Not only for gaming but also for collecting.

smullyoz wrote on 2023-05-30, 01:27:

The cards, depending on exact model, are comparable in performance id say. But i would go with the MX440 as its a DX7 card and keeping the Win98 to Dx7 should work better.

Yes this makes sense. The MX 440 is the most attractive card for because of the price anyway. But the fact that's DX7 card is also good stuff to mention. I do not need more than DX7 for win 98 gaming anyway.

Reply 4 of 7, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
predator_085 wrote on 2023-05-29, 21:54:
After finally getting the first part of upcoming win 98 gaming pc I need some specific card recommendations. […]
Show full quote

After finally getting the first part of upcoming win 98 gaming pc I need some specific card recommendations.

I decided to get myself a socket 754 Gigabyte K8VT800M. The "hunt" for the processor has not finished yet but i am getting either a sempron 3100 one of the athlon 64s.

Which of these cards would make the most sense with that motherboard a sempron 3100 or athlon 64 powerwise for 1997 to late 2000 games?

that spec, say a Sempron 3100, would be right at the top end of win 98 imo, anything faster than that and you are so far into XP territory that you may as well go XP (with exception that you want win 9x era games)

maybe this could be a duel boot too and it will stretch through some early 2000's games in addition - in any case all those cards are more than fine with games of that era but if possible maybe as well go with a high a specced gf 4 as you can

games i have of that time all run great on a duron 800 with gf 4 440mx i have, so they'd fly along on your system i'd think - hope it all works through well for you, lots of fun games of this era, happy gaming 😀

Reply 5 of 7, by predator_085

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gerry wrote on 2023-05-30, 07:45:
that spec, say a Sempron 3100, would be right at the top end of win 98 imo, anything faster than that and you are so far into XP […]
Show full quote
predator_085 wrote on 2023-05-29, 21:54:
I need some specific card recommendations after finally getting the first part of the upcoming win 98 gaming pc. […]
Show full quote

I need some specific card recommendations after finally getting the first part of the upcoming win 98 gaming pc.

I decided to get myself a socket 754 Gigabyte K8VT800M. The "hunt" for the processor has not finished yet but I am getting either a sempron 3100 one of the athlon 64s.

that spec, say a Sempron 3100, would be right at the top end of win 98 imo, anything faster than that and you are so far into XP territory that you may as well go XP (with exception that you want win 9x era games)

maybe this could be a duel boot too and it will stretch through some early 2000's games in addition - in any case all those cards are more than fine with games of that era but if possible maybe as well go with a high a specced gf 4 as you can

games i have of that time all run great on a duron 800 with gf 4 440mx i have, so they'd fly along on your system i'd think - hope it all works through well for you, lots of fun games of this era, happy gaming 😀

Thanks. I am fully aware that I am at the top end of win 98 but that's the whole point my upcoming rig. Unlike back then when PC was not the best I want to re play and play some games I have never played before in the best possible quality with all the settings maxed out.

At the moment I am not interested in Xp just Win 98.

I was also thinking about a more period-correct approach but a high-end P3 Tualatin motherboards aren ot cheap and going in the above mentioned direction like it was recommend to me in my other thread sounds the best way to go.

Reply 7 of 7, by predator_085

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
theiceman085 wrote on 2023-05-30, 15:37:

You could also look in the Radeons 8500 and especially the 9000 series. They also seemed to be quite decent cards for the time frame you are interested in.

Thanks for the advice.

@all Which of he Radeon cards would you consider as the most appropriate card for win 98 gaming? The the 9800 pro could be considered as the best right?

Unfortutunately the 9800 series is rather expensive the 9500 or the 9600 would be in a better price range.

Would be both cards ok is one more preferable over the other?