VOGONS

First post, by Haki26

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I would like to point out to those who own a notebook with the Ati Xpress 1xxx video card, that it is possible to use it in windows 98.
In my case, I assigned it the ati x300 drivers and it installed them correctly. The version used is Catalyst 6.2.

However I don't know if this operation could damage the video card. So unless an expert says there's no problem, if you're afraid it might break, I suggest you don't do it.

I have an Acer Aspire 5101 with:
- AMD Turion64 MK-36 2.0Ghz
- 3gb ddr2 ram
- ATI xpress 1100
-Realtek High definition audio
- 60GB 2.5 5400rpm HDD

I wanted to use the laptop for windows 98/ME, but I knew the video card is one generation higher than the last one supported by w9x. However, I remembered that sometimes the video card was recognized as an xpress 200, depending on the driver installed. So I thought, once windows ME was installed on that laptop, to assign it the xpress 200 driver, but it didn't work.
In despair, as a last resort, I checked which series this xpress 1100 belongs to and I saw that it was the R300. I looked at a list of video cards belonging to the R300, among them I singled out the x300. I tried to feed it the x300 driver and surprisingly it worked.
I have done various tests and it seems that the video card is working properly. The only flaw found is that the usable resolutions do not match the native one of the laptop monitor, which is a 16:10 (1280x800). But for this problem I think it's enough to use a program that allows custom resolutions.
As far as audio is concerned, in my case realtek High definition Audio doesn't have a driver for w9x. Some people managed to install a modified version of the drivers, but following their guide I couldn't. If you cannot use audio even with your laptop, the solutions can be:
- If you want to use the laptop speakers, there is the sound blaster pcmcia sound card, which carries the audio internally to the speakers.
- Or a mini usb sound card with support for w9x, with the obligation to use external audio speakers and not being able to use audio in dos mode, but only on windows.

Reply 1 of 2, by Bruno128

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi thanks for the info.

So this Radeon Xpress iGPU uses shared memory, correct?
And which chipset (southbridge) is this laptop based on?
How about USB compatibility with NUSB 3.6?
Any other unidentified devices in w98?
SATA is in IDE mode I presume.

Now playing: Red Faction on 2003 Acrylic build

SBEMU compatibility reports

Reply 2 of 2, by Stermy57

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good news but I am not surprised. Don't give me wrong, it is good to know but the Radeon express 1100 is not based on R5xx like the name suggests to you (Radeon X1xxx series). The codename is RS482 based on R300. It is a small die shrink of RV370 for low power machines.