VOGONS

First post, by wariacix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

Like I said in the title, I bought a wonderful 1998 PC with ATi Rage IIc and everything worked ok.

I then wanted to "upgrade" to 3dfx voodoo 2, without knowing that it's only an accelerator, not a full gpu.
So I unplugged ATi from AGP slot, and installed voodoo in PCI.

It didn't work and motherboard did 1 long beep, after that 3 short ones.

I left the voodoo in PCI slot, and plugged in my ATi card back to AGP.

Now there's not display, no nothing, not even a beep.

Motherboard: https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/msi-ms-6163va

help :c

P!!! 450 MHz; 256 MB PC100; nVidia Riva TNT2 M64 32mb + 3Dfx Voodoo 2 12mb; Windows 98 SE

Reply 2 of 11, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you tried removing the Voodoo2 ?

Possibly the V2 is shorted.

Might also be worth cleaning the edge connector on the Rage card with some Iso alcohol and a soft lint free cloth, also check to make sure the AGP slot doesnt have some dust in it.

Reply 4 of 11, by wariacix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you @Trashbytes, It seems the card needed a little bit of a push (although I tried it before I made the post, lmao)
Works now!

P!!! 450 MHz; 256 MB PC100; nVidia Riva TNT2 M64 32mb + 3Dfx Voodoo 2 12mb; Windows 98 SE

Reply 5 of 11, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wariacix wrote on 2023-06-10, 09:59:

Thank you @Trashbytes, It seems the card needed a little bit of a push (although I tried it before I made the post, lmao)
Works now!

Glad to hear it!

AGP was never the greatest at retention and the older the slot gets the more wiggling it can require to get a good contact.

Wiggling cards and holding your tongue at just the right angle are two skills every retro enthusiast should have 😁

Reply 6 of 11, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wiggling cards and holding your tongue at just the right angle are two skills every retro enthusiast should have

*slams computer violently with a wrench*

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 7 of 11, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Trashbytes wrote on 2023-06-10, 10:02:
Glad to hear it! […]
Show full quote

Works now!

Glad to hear it!

AGP was never the greatest at retention and the older the slot gets the more wiggling it can require to get a good contact.

Wiggling cards and holding your tongue at just the right angle are two skills every retro enthusiast should have 😁

You must have owned an original NES 😁

Reply 8 of 11, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2023-06-10, 12:17:

Wiggling cards and holding your tongue at just the right angle are two skills every retro enthusiast should have

Thumping the desk has been known to fix PC issues, however its also been known to cause further issues with other PC components 🤣.

Reply 9 of 11, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Meatball wrote on 2023-06-10, 12:27:
Trashbytes wrote on 2023-06-10, 10:02:
Glad to hear it! […]
Show full quote

Works now!

Glad to hear it!

You must have owned an original NES 😁

Nope, never owned s SNES or 64 either I did own a Vic20, C64, Atari 2600 and a Coleco Vision .. I may have some experience with old cartridge systems and wiggling bits to get them working 🤣.

Reply 10 of 11, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Trashbytes wrote on 2023-06-10, 13:21:

Thumping the desk has been known to fix PC issues, however its also been known to cause further issues with other PC components 🤣.

I remember being at MultiPlay i20 (2004) with my gaming rig, it started playing up, freezing and randomly shutting down in the middle of important matches. I spent all night trying to troubleshoot it, to no avail. In a last ditch “attempt” before packing up to go home, I lifted the entire machine up around 6” and dropped it back onto the desk. Was fine for the duration of the event from then on, but died again in transit back home!

Eventually diagnosed as a dodgy (Hiper!) PSU, I guess it was a bad connection somewhere that fortunately behaved after a bit of heavy percussive maintenance.

Reply 11 of 11, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
paradigital wrote on 2023-06-11, 16:17:
Trashbytes wrote on 2023-06-10, 13:21:

I remember being at MultiPlay i22 (2005?) with my gaming rig, it started playing up, freezing and randomly shutting down in the middle of important matches. I spent all night trying to troubleshoot it, to no avail. In a last ditch “attempt” before packing up to go home, I lifted the entire machine up around 6” and dropped it back onto the desk. Was fine for the duration of the event from then on, but died again in transit back home!

Eventually diagnosed as a dodgy (Hiper Type-R) PSU, I guess it was a bad connection somewhere that fortunately behaved after a bit of heavy percussive maintenance.