VOGONS

First post, by JohnJohny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
recently I've finally gotten a 486 motherboard with VLB slots, I had to fix it up a little (solder a new bios chip and reconnect a couple of broken traces, it works now and shouldn't be the problem). I got a Cirrus Logic Gd5426 to try out the VLB capabilities of the system, at first it booted fine I could go into bios and all however after booting into DOS the PC restarted and the boot screen had some garbled and flashing text. I quickly cut the power but after trying to start it up once again, it gave no video. The mobo can't initialize the VGA card (at least according to the POST card, the code is 0dbF and it's got an Award BIOS), it can boot normally without it but what fun is a PC with no video?

My question is what could be the culprit? There are some caps on the board but they didn't pop or let out any smoke. I did try to reseat the card and clean its contacts but that made no difference. I would guess RAM, but I'm not sure how that could fail so randomly and I would suppose the system would at least be able to display something even if it was bad. None of the chips on the card got noticeably hot so that's sadly not any help.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Late 90s PC: P3 867MHz / Voodoo 3 3000 / SB Live! / SB 16 WaveEffects / Windows 98 SE

Reply 1 of 2, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sounds possible that a dry/cracked solder joint on the card somewhere has finally let go, which whilst the card was already initialized, manifested itself as a floating bit (or bits) and thus the character weirdness. But now can’t initialize at all after a power cycle.

Try applying pressure to various components on the card and try booting again. You may find that it’s just a single component that needs a solder re-flow.

Reply 2 of 2, by JohnJohny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried that but sadly it made no difference, guess I'll just have to try and get another card since I can't really think of anything else to check (the caps would probably explode if they gave way while powered on). Thanks nonetheless.

Late 90s PC: P3 867MHz / Voodoo 3 3000 / SB Live! / SB 16 WaveEffects / Windows 98 SE