VOGONS

First post, by Xenphor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I bought a new old stock Geforce Quadro 4 380XGL and would like to replace the thermal paste since I assume it's pretty dried out by now. Unfortunately, the push pins on the heatsink are very hard to work with. They don't really depress at all from the front of the card and are nearly impossible to grip from the back of the card. I have a small pair of diagonal pliers, but the pins are too small to grip and I don't want to scratch the PCB. Has anyone worked with this model before? Here are some pictures of what I'm talking about:

gqRpCw4l.jpg8ORbZ2ul.jpgf7lZyDel.jpg

Reply 3 of 10, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Theyre litterally all like this, after you pull the pin out use some small needle nose plyers and squeeze the bottom barb gently without crushing the plastic and pull it out the otherside with your fingers.

Reply 4 of 10, by Xenphor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm just having a very hard time getting a solid grip on them at all with needle nose pliers and I've already scratched the heatsink a bit. They don't really budge at all if I pull from the top.

I noticed the top of the pins seem to have a very small hole in them maybe? So would threading a wire in there and pulling be a good idea? Is that even what I have to pull on? I don't know what I would use.

Other push pins I've used I would push down on the top and then squeeze the barbs at the bottom to release them.

Reply 5 of 10, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To clarify, when you are pulling the pin from the top, you are only pulling this bit, right?

IMG_2070.jpeg
Filename
IMG_2070.jpeg
File size
45.71 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

You don’t need to pull this bit completely out (though it won’t do any harm to), just enough to allow the part of the pin on the underside of the board to be compressed slightly for pushing through the PCB.

Reply 6 of 10, by Xenphor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
paradigital wrote on 2023-06-18, 07:25:

To clarify, when you are pulling the pin from the top, you are only pulling this bit, right?

You don’t need to pull this bit completely out (though it won’t do any harm to), just enough to allow the part of the pin on the underside of the board to be compressed slightly for pushing through the PCB.

Yes. It is very stiff and hard to grip even with pliers. I also don't want to make too many attempts because of the pliers marring the surface.

Reply 7 of 10, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You might be able to use a small jeweller’s screwdriver from the bottom of the pin to push the center part upwards, also you might try a thin lubricating oil on the center part of the pin to free it up.

Finally, there are slotted/u shaped/fork screwdrivers available that might be better to lever with:

https://amzn.eu/d/htJ2Br9

I’m not recommending these as I’ve not measured the sizes, this is just an example of the type of screwdriver!

Reply 8 of 10, by Xenphor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
paradigital wrote on 2023-06-18, 07:56:
You might be able to use a small jeweller’s screwdriver from the bottom of the pin to push the center part upwards, also you mig […]
Show full quote

You might be able to use a small jeweller’s screwdriver from the bottom of the pin to push the center part upwards, also you might try a thin lubricating oil on the center part of the pin to free it up.

Finally, there are slotted/u shaped/fork screwdrivers available that might be better to lever with:

https://amzn.eu/d/htJ2Br9

I’m not recommending these as I’ve not measured the sizes, this is just an example of the type of screwdriver!

Alright thanks for the suggestions.