VOGONS

First post, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just picked up this EGA video card. I have been unable to find any documentation for it. It has SPEGA-00 Rev 1.2 silk screened along the bottom. I think it may be a Sigma Designs card. Any help would be appreciated, specifically the 4 dip switch settings for this card.

Thanks!

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600.jpg
    File size
    474.87 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    SPEGA-00 Rev 1.2 EGA video card
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 7, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's likely that this card is just a EGA clone with no enhanced functionality. For example, I only see a 16.257MHz oscillator, but no other oscillators that would be required for higher resolutions. In the case of standard EGA clones, it is likely that the DIP switches for monitor selection work exactly the same as on the original IBM EGA card.

Reply 2 of 7, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can not help you with documentation, but I see an EPROM with "open window"... better off put on some non-transparent sticker on it, if the BIOS is still fine.

from СМ630 to Ryzen gen. 3
engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"

Reply 3 of 7, by cinnabar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I notice it's the classic Chips & Technology chipset. C&T were one of the first companies to clone the EGA.

Top Left: 82C431 Graphics Controller
Top Middle: 82C433 Attribute Controller
Top Right: 82C432 Sequencer
Middle: 82C434 CRTC
And an EPROM on the bottom obviously

Any idea what the other gate array is?

Reply 4 of 7, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mkarcher wrote on 2023-06-27, 16:25:

It's likely that this card is just a EGA clone with no enhanced functionality. For example, I only see a 16.257MHz oscillator, but no other oscillators that would be required for higher resolutions. In the case of standard EGA clones, it is likely that the DIP switches for monitor selection work exactly the same as on the original IBM EGA card.

I was hoping that was the going to be the case.

Thanks!

Reply 5 of 7, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
analog_programmer wrote on 2023-06-27, 19:11:

I can not help you with documentation, but I see an EPROM with "open window"... better off put on some non-transparent sticker on it, if the BIOS is still fine.

The pictures was from the seller...I already put electrical tape over the BIOS windows when I got it.

Thanks!

Reply 6 of 7, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cinnabar wrote on 2023-06-27, 19:17:
I notice it's the classic Chips & Technology chipset. C&T were one of the first companies to clone the EGA. […]
Show full quote

I notice it's the classic Chips & Technology chipset. C&T were one of the first companies to clone the EGA.

Top Left: 82C431 Graphics Controller
Top Middle: 82C433 Attribute Controller
Top Right: 82C432 Sequencer
Middle: 82C434 CRTC
And an EPROM on the bottom obviously

Any idea what the other gate array is?

I found this post from 10/2020 that seems to cover all the chips. I was just looking for the Dip Switch settings for the most part.
Sigma Designs EGA cards - a deep dive