VOGONS

First post, by Legacysystem

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I bought 7800 GS AGP on my local store. It's probably disassembled from Sega Lindbergh motherboard or like that. However, when I installed it on my 775DUAL-VSTA, it always crashed with blue screen on Windows 7 64-Bit. What should I do, I couldn't manage to find its best stable Win7 64-Bit driver. Or reset its BIOS? How? I don't know what should I do. Thanks anyway!

Ancient system: Intel D865GLC + P4-EE (SL7CH Gallatin) + HD 4670 AGP + 4 GB DDR400 RAM + 256 GB Corsair Neutron SSD + 3 * 320 GB IDE PATA WD HDD

Retro system 2: ASRock ConRoe865PE + Q6600 (SL9UM)+ HD 3850 AGP + 4 GB DDR400 RAM + 120 GB Kingston SSD

Reply 1 of 10, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm sorry but my guess is that your card is probably defective.

When booting or when in the bios, (without the driver loaded), the card works but it fails as soon as the driver is loaded.
Windows 7 is probably recent enough to include a GeForce 7 driver by default, so it is loaded automatically and crashes immediately.

I've seen this a lot of time when testing "untested" cards.

Have you tried on windows XP ?
By doing so, you could check before and after driver installation.
If i'm right, the card will crash windows at first reboot after driver installation (or will show issues in the device manager)

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 3 of 10, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
acl wrote on 2023-07-21, 08:24:
I'm sorry but my guess is that your card is probably defective. […]
Show full quote

When booting or when in the bios, (without the driver loaded), the card works but it fails as soon as the driver is loaded.
Windows 7 is probably recent enough to include a GeForce 7 driver by default, so it is loaded automatically and crashes immediately.

If i'm right, the card will crash windows at first reboot after driver installation (or will show issues in the device manager)

7 never included 3D enabled drivers for video cards (unless it grabbed them from Windows Update right after install) as far as I'm aware.

That being said his issue is exactly the same problem one of my two 7800GS cards has, it crashes as soon as you try to access any of the cards 3D capabilities. Depending on the exact driver version being used this has an end result anywhere from a BSOD on Windows load to a hard lock as soon as you try to start a D3D/OGL application like 3DMark. NVIDIA 7000 series cards in my personal experience (must have had 30 of them come through my hands at this point) have what I would estimate at a near 60 percent failure rate due to a combination of faulty BGA, faulty capacitors, and grossly inadequate cooling solutions (the cards with the two slot cooler design have a MUCH better survival rate). The AGP cards are even worse because the people who bought these ran them into the dirt as a general rule, keep in mind by 2005 you were paying a PREMIUM to get an AGP card to avoid upgrading the rest of your system to PCI Express.

I second the proposal offered in a prior comment, try the card on Windows XP and see what happens. If your still getting crashes you may have some luck if you underclock the card, or flash a 128MB BIOs to the card (sometimes you'll get lucky and the bad memory/memory BGA linkage will be in the half of memory you just deactivated) if you can find or have the skills to make such a BIOs file. If all that fails you can try reflowing it with a hot air gun, there are many YouTube videos on this. If that works treat the card as a collectors item, it will likely fail again quickly if you run it in a day to day setup. I have a few cards repaired that way which I only use for the occasional benchmark.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 4 of 10, by Legacysystem

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote on 2023-07-21, 19:05:
7 never included 3D enabled drivers for video cards (unless it grabbed them from Windows Update right after install) as far as I […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

7 never included 3D enabled drivers for video cards (unless it grabbed them from Windows Update right after install) as far as I'm aware.

That being said his issue is exactly the same problem one of my two 7800GS cards has, it crashes as soon as you try to access any of the cards 3D capabilities. Depending on the exact driver version being used this has an end result anywhere from a BSOD on Windows load to a hard lock as soon as you try to start a D3D/OGL application like 3DMark. NVIDIA 7000 series cards in my personal experience (must have had 30 of them come through my hands at this point) have what I would estimate at a near 60 percent failure rate due to a combination of faulty BGA, faulty capacitors, and grossly inadequate cooling solutions (the cards with the two slot cooler design have a MUCH better survival rate). The AGP cards are even worse because the people who bought these ran them into the dirt as a general rule, keep in mind by 2005 you were paying a PREMIUM to get an AGP card to avoid upgrading the rest of your system to PCI Express.

I second the proposal offered in a prior comment, try the card on Windows XP and see what happens. If your still getting crashes you may have some luck if you underclock the card, or flash a 128MB BIOs to the card (sometimes you'll get lucky and the bad memory/memory BGA linkage will be in the half of memory you just deactivated) if you can find or have the skills to make such a BIOs file. If all that fails you can try reflowing it with a hot air gun, there are many YouTube videos on this. If that works treat the card as a collectors item, it will likely fail again quickly if you run it in a day to day setup. I have a few cards repaired that way which I only use for the occasional benchmark.

In WinXP, still I faced same issue but I connected via VGA instead DVI and problem solved, also I can use it with Win7-64 bit. However, why I faced that issue via DVI connector?

Ancient system: Intel D865GLC + P4-EE (SL7CH Gallatin) + HD 4670 AGP + 4 GB DDR400 RAM + 256 GB Corsair Neutron SSD + 3 * 320 GB IDE PATA WD HDD

Retro system 2: ASRock ConRoe865PE + Q6600 (SL9UM)+ HD 3850 AGP + 4 GB DDR400 RAM + 120 GB Kingston SSD

Reply 5 of 10, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Legacysystem wrote on 2023-07-22, 16:16:
7 never included 3D enabled drivers for video cards (unless it grabbed them from Windows Update right after install) as far as I […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

In WinXP, still I faced same issue but I connected via VGA instead DVI and problem solved, also I can use it with Win7-64 bit. However, why I faced that issue via DVI connector?

Is it connected to a DVI monitor or are you using a DVI to VGA adapter ?

Also, are 3D apps/games/benchmark working ?

Reply 6 of 10, by Legacysystem

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
acl wrote on 2023-07-22, 19:49:

I connected monitor with HDMI to DVI cable firstly via my DVI port of my 7800 GS, secondly I tried VGA cable via VGA port of my 7800GS and no issue now. I completed 3DMark06 and passed, no issues. 3D games are working, I tried NFSU, NFSMW, Crysis, Call of Duty etc. and no issues. However, in Win7, when I started apps, that's occured stripe screen like that.

WhatsApp Image 2023-07-23 at 09.14.29.jpeg
Filename
File size
251.16 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
WhatsApp Image 2023-07-23 at 09.12.07.jpeg
Filename
File size
69.6 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
WhatsApp Image 2023-07-23 at 09.12.07 (1).jpeg
Filename
File size
191.09 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Not only my 7800 GS, I have 6600 GT AGP also and this is the same. 6 and 7 series NVIDIA AGP Cards have that issue in Win7. What should I do?

Reply 7 of 10, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Legacysystem wrote on 2023-07-23, 06:30:
I connected monitor with HDMI to DVI cable firstly via my DVI port of my 7800 GS, secondly I tried VGA cable via VGA port of my […]
Show full quote

I connected monitor with HDMI to DVI cable firstly via my DVI port of my 7800 GS, secondly I tried VGA cable via VGA port of my 7800GS and no issue now. I completed 3DMark06 and passed, no issues. 3D games are working, I tried NFSU, NFSMW, Crysis, Call of Duty etc. and no issues. However, in Win7, when I started apps, that's occured stripe screen like that.

Not only my 7800 GS, I have 6600 GT AGP also and this is the same. 6 and 7 series NVIDIA AGP Cards have that issue in Win7. What should I do?

Graphics artifacts (like seen in your screenshot
s) generally points to an issue with the card. Often BGA cracks.

To help for troubleshooting, i would avoid to change multiple factors at once. And work by elimination.

I suggest the following process :

1. VGA. Windows XP. Fresh install. Motherboard drivers but No Nvidia drivers. Open some apps. Use the system a few minute. Is display corrupted ?
  2. Install Nvidia drivers. Reboot. Try to use the system (No 3d apps. Same apps as in last step). Is the system stable ? Is display corrupted ?
  3. Start 3DMark03 / 06 benchmark. Is the system still ok ?
  4. Try a DX9 game for a 20+ minutes session.
  5. If it's still OK, follow the same process with windows 7. With VGA and not DVI/HDMI.

If you have graphic corruption or BSOD/Freeze crashes, retry the whole process with an AGP graphics card that is 100% sure to be undamaged. I would avoid the GeForce6 as it also displayed artifacts in your last test.
Then start again with the new card.

If it still crashes, other factors should be considered.

• Defective motherboard/ AGP slot
  • Memory problem (memtest ?)

I had an issue with a system some years ago and I had to change almost everything to pinpoint the issue. The system was randomly freezing. And I finally found out that the issue was only happening when using 4 memory sticks in dual channel. Using only two ram sticks fixed the issue I had for month... (My topic : My first retro build : 2005's finest (almost)).
So it really need to troubleshoot one step after the other and you can generally isolate the issue and try to fix it.

Reply 8 of 10, by Legacysystem

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
acl wrote on 2023-07-23, 13:56:
Graphics artifacts (like seen in your screenshot s) generally points to an issue with the card. Often BGA cracks. […]
Show full quote
I connected monitor with HDMI to DVI cable firstly via my DVI port of my 7800 GS, secondly I tried VGA cable via VGA port of my […]
Show full quote

To help for troubleshooting, i would avoid to change multiple factors at once. And work by elimination.

1. VGA. Windows XP. Fresh install. Motherboard drivers but No Nvidia drivers. Open some apps. Use the system a few minute. Is display corrupted ?
  2. Install Nvidia drivers. Reboot. Try to use the system (No 3d apps. Same apps as in last step). Is the system stable ? Is display corrupted ?
  5. If it's still OK, follow the same process with windows 7. With VGA and not DVI/HDMI.

If you have graphic corruption or BSOD/Freeze crashes, retry the whole process with an AGP graphics card that is 100% sure to be undamaged. I would avoid the GeForce6 as it also displayed artifacts in your last test.

I had an issue with a system some years ago and I had to change almost everything to pinpoint the issue. The system was randomly freezing. And I finally found out that the issue was only happening when using 4 memory sticks in dual channel. Using only two ram sticks fixed the issue I had for month... (My topic : My first retro build : 2005's finest (almost)).
So it really need to troubleshoot one step after the other and you can generally isolate the issue and try to fix it.

I finally completely solved! DDU couldn't uninstall completely Win7's stock driver, so I couldn't manage to install latest Nvidia driver of 7800 GS (307.74) So, I disassembled 7800 GS and install another AGP card. (FX 5900XT) So, I could install 96.85 driver and it automatically replaces 7800 GS driver of Win7. Again, I installed 7800 GS instead FX 5900XT and I deleted that driver via Device Manager. (Tick delete the driver software of this device.) After reboot, finally 'Standard VGA Graphics Adapter' appeared, now ready to install 307.74 and everything is fine now! It was about software-driver issue, not hardware.

Reply 9 of 10, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Legacysystem wrote on 2023-07-23, 14:35:
Graphics artifacts (like seen in your screenshot s) generally points to an issue with the card. Often BGA cracks. […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

I finally completely solved! DDU couldn't uninstall completely Win7's stock driver, so I couldn't manage to install latest Nvidia driver of 7800 GS (307.74) So, I disassembled 7800 GS and install another AGP card. (FX 5900XT) So, I could install 96.85 driver and it automatically replaces 7800 GS driver of Win7. Again, I installed 7800 GS instead FX 5900XT and I deleted that driver via Device Manager. (Tick delete the driver software of this device.) After reboot, finally 'Standard VGA Graphics Adapter' appeared, now ready to install 307.74 and everything is fine now! It was about software-driver issue, not hardware.

Good to hear !
I would never have suspected the software.

Reply 10 of 10, by Legacysystem

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
acl wrote on 2023-07-23, 19:14:
Legacysystem wrote on 2023-07-23, 14:35:
Show full quote

Good to hear !
I would never have suspected the software.

Thanks for your help and patience anyway!