VOGONS

First post, by Heatvent

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I am trying to save a nonfunctioning ATI Radeon 9500. I thought I would try to read the bios and see how it compares to something online to see if it is maybe corrupted. I am using at TL866II+ and it says it successfully reads the card but shows FF in all addresses??? I am tempted to flash with a bios from techpowerup (https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/?architec … memSize=&since=) but I am a little concerned I could further brick the card so to speak.

Some background on my troubleshooting to date:

• No apparent physical damage / broken traces and is otherwise in good condition.
  • No chips getting hot.
  • Fan runs when installed.
  • PC won't boot when installed so I can't see if the card is recognized using dual cards.
  • Thoroughly cleaned PCB and contacts.
  • Tried different motherboards.

It would be good to hear some thoughts on the blank bios for the card.

Is there something that could cause this ... under normal operation?

Maybe someone else tried flashing and ended up erasing it?

Perhaps I am doing something wrong reading the bios? The TL866II says the read is successful and all pins passed, etc. Attached is the .bin file from the read.

Should I just go for it and program or are there other steps I should try?

I am a little leery about programming as I had a motherboard that wouldn't post that I borked at one point. The .bin from the manufacturer only contained a specific part of the address range of the flash and when I programmed it, the TL866II software blanked the rest of the bios. It was a cheap motherboard and not worth anything but it was a lesson learned. The .bin files on techpowerup seem to be the full bios and, as far as I can tell, I don't have a bios to overwrite.

Again, advice would be appreciated!

Attachments

• Filename
    ST25P05@SOIC8.zip
    File size
    260 Bytes
    Downloads
    36 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 10, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't have that programmer, but if you're using a programmer to read the chip then you must be removing the chip from the card in order to read it. Is that correct?

If so, the complications of the card are out of the equation, so it's hard to imagine why the read would be wrong unless the programmer simply doesn't work. But I don't have that programmer so I don't know what's involved in using it.

If in doubt, my suggestion is to get another chip. Program that one and leave the original untouched so you can always go back to it.

Reply 2 of 10, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If this in the file is what the programmer actually successfully read from the EEPROM chip i.e. the programmer works fine and the chip is not damaged, then this chip was erased at the time it was read and nothing was written to it. 64KB of "FF"s - it's a dump from a blank chip.

Try to write some BIOS dump form same or similar model videocard to another known healthy EEPROM chip. Or try the original chip with another programmer. You may use some PCI NIC adapters as programmers with FLASHROM for Linux/DOS. I understood that you can't software program the chip while it's in the socket of its own problematic videocard, because your configuration doesn't work with second videocard, so this isn't option for reading/writing to/from EEPROM.

from СМ630 to Ryzen gen. 3
engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"

Reply 3 of 10, by Heatvent

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry, didn't notice there were replies. The chip is still on the board. The programmer came with a clamp that connects to the legs while still on the board and uses a ribbon cable back to a pin header to connect to the programmer.

I was planning on trying another card. I do have another ATI card but it has a capacitor right next to the bios chip and I can't get the clamp onto the chip. I was going to try to find something similar in my bin but haven't gotten around to it.

I did try programming the chip and it just said it was erasing for several minutes. My guess is there is something preventing the programmer from properly reading/writing the chip and there is actually a bios on the chip. I did see another thread where the person mentioned reading the chip with the card powered up ... not sure if that would work or if it is necessary. I am thinking of removing the chip to program just to take the card out of the picture. Downside is the only way to make sure it works is to solder back on. Any further troubleshooting would mean removing and resolding again. That is why the clamp or if there was a socket would be much better but this might be my only option.

Reply 4 of 10, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Heatvent wrote on 2023-08-05, 01:52:

The chip is still on the board. The programmer came with a clamp that connects to the legs while still on the board and uses a ribbon cable back to a pin header to connect to the programmer.

So, this videocard is with newer SPI programmable flash BIOS chip. I have one of those cheap CH341A programmers (modded for normal 3.3V operation) and what I can tell from my own experience - using it with "test clip" to read/write from/to flash chips soldered on the PCBs is very unreliable. Better off desolder the flash chip, put it on DIP-adapter and then try to read it "socketed" into the programmer.

engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"

Reply 5 of 10, by Heatvent

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks. I have used the clamp before with success. The programmer is a TL866II+ so a little different than the CH341A-based programmer I believe. I do believe it is hit or miss however to read/write while still on the board. Not sure if there are other factors at play and what those would be.

I ended up ordering a couple of "test" chips. Coming from China so it will be a couple of weeks. Just want to see that I can successfully write to the test chips before doing something with the actual board. This will let me keep the original bios intact if I didn't already do something to it in case replacing the bios isn't the issue. Also, this is more or less a learning experience for me. If I had done a lot of trial and error in the past I might feel better just making the call and removing/reprogramming the original bios. I am just not near that point and not in a hurry to get it fixed so this seems to be the best path forward for now.

Reply 6 of 10, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have problems reading chips on board when the voltage supply of the reader is powering the rest of the circuit and the thing the memory connects to starts accessing it while i want to read it.
I would suggest keeping the thing that wants to access it (while we want to read/write) in reset ...

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 7 of 10, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Heatvent, there's nothing wrong that you want to learn something from your own trial-error experience, but you're asking here for some advice (help). Did you read this?

DerBaum wrote on 2023-08-05, 18:12:

I have problems reading chips on board when the voltage supply of the reader is powering the rest of the circuit and the thing the memory connects to starts accessing it while i want to read it.

That's why I wrote:

analog_programmer wrote on 2023-08-05, 05:29:

... and what I can tell from my own experience - using it with "test clip" to read/write from/to flash chips soldered on the PCBs is very unreliable. Better off desolder the flash chip, put it on DIP-adapter and then try to read it "socketed" into the programmer.

Reply 8 of 10, by Heatvent

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
analog_programmer wrote on 2023-08-06, 08:40:
Heatvent, there's nothing wrong that you want to learn something from your own trial-error experience, but you're asking here fo […]
Show full quote

Heatvent, there's nothing wrong that you want to learn something from your own trial-error experience, but you're asking here for some advice (help). Did you read this?

DerBaum wrote on 2023-08-05, 18:12:

That's why I wrote:

analog_programmer wrote on 2023-08-05, 05:29:

... and what I can tell from my own experience - using it with "test clip" to read/write from/to flash chips soldered on the PCBs is very unreliable. Better off desolder the flash chip, put it on DIP-adapter and then try to read it "socketed" into the programmer.

analog_programmer,

Thank you for your advice. Yes, did read it... but a few thoughts:

* The first post you reference was posted after my last post, so I haven't responded to it ... just read it before posting this.
* I get it .. if the board is being powered by the reader, then it may be locking the bios chip, not allowing me to read/write ... makes sense
* Re: your post that you referenced ... at this point, I am following the suggestion of another poster (below) ...

shamino wrote on 2023-08-01, 06:39:

If in doubt, my suggestion is to get another chip. Program that one and leave the original untouched so you can always go back to it.

If I am successful with the test chip, I would be following your suggestion to desolder the original chip but instead to be replaced with the test chip. So I think I am following the advice in this thread. I just liked the idea of leaving the original bios intact since I am not sure this is the problem and I am also not 100% confident in the bios files I found for download. So I would rather write to/verify a "test chip" and use that than write over the original bios and/or somehow damage or erase the original bios chip.

Thank you

Reply 9 of 10, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Heatvent wrote on 2023-08-09, 02:19:
analog_programmer, […]
Show full quote

analog_programmer,

Thank you for your advice. Yes, did read it... but a few thoughts:

* The first post you reference was posted after my last post, so I haven't responded to it ... just read it before posting this.
* I get it .. if the board is being powered by the reader, then it may be locking the bios chip, not allowing me to read/write ... makes sense
* Re: your post that you referenced ... at this point, I am following the suggestion of another poster (below) ...

Maybe you haven't figured out exactly what I mean yet.

If you can't read the contents of the original chip as it's soldered on the PCB by software like UNIFLASH, FLASHROM etc. (you explained that you can not), using "test clip" (aside from that sometimes it feeds power back to the board/PCB) is very "tricky business" to provide a reliable contact with the pins of the chip.

I hope you'll somehow manage to revive the card. Good luck!

Reply 10 of 10, by stef80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Isn't it easier to flash it from DOS/atiflash.exe ? Just use PCI graphics card (or integrated).
Also, it's not very valuable card ... unless it unlocks to 8 pipes without artifacts. Chances are 50%, maybe less.