VOGONS

First post, by xorlof

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all. I'm new here, but have long been a lurker.

I will start this post my basic question and the provide more detail below in case y'all have other ideas on how I can accomplish my end goal. The basic question:

I'm just getting into understanding the details of creating custom VGA modes. I believe it is pretty simple to set a standard VGA adapter the very compatible 720x480 timings and turn on character mode with 8x3 pixel character cells. This would result in 90x160 very short (3-line-high) character cells on the screen, refreshing at about 60hz. My question is, can the VGA registers be programmed to keep this same (nominal) 720 line by (nominal) 480 timings but increase the overscan area to only output character cells for 80 columns and 144 rows (roughly centered in the screen)?

---
Now the detail if you're curious as to why I'd want this, and if you're all feeling kind enough help guide me even further. I'm starting to work on a Gameboy emulator. I've made one before (for a comparable system, not GB) and now my goal for this new one is to use as many tricks as possible to see just how old/underpowered PC hardware I can get it to run on (minus sound). My current goal is getting a decent number of games working on a fast 286 with bog-standard VGA and standard VGA CRT (at 60Hz to match the Gameboy). One of the tricks I'm exploring is using a character mode to display the graphics. There is a method to this madness, explained next.

The Gameboy screen has 160x144 (square) pixels. Each pixel is one of 4 shades of gray. On the real hardware, what's displayed in that 160x144 area can be thought as a window into a 256x256 pixel area. (Watch this video for about a minute from the linked start point if it's not clear what I'm saying: https://youtu.be/HyzD8pNlpwI?feature=shared&t=1902). Copying pixels around in memory is probably going to be one of the most expensive (time-wise) operations of this emulator because VGA doesn't have suitable graphics acceleration operations. And I need the emulator to cut corners wherever possible (because of the goal stated above). To reduce memory copies, it would be great if we could emulate this 256x256 pixel "canvas" and 160x144 "window" mode. I reckon that if VGA had a 160x144 graphics mode we could do exactly that with correct manipulation of of the start-address and offset registers!

The first thought for implementing this idea was to just use some low resolution graphics mode as the basis for such a thing and increase the overscan area (if possible) to cut available pixels down to the needed 160x144. However, if using 320x200 timings as a basis for this, the overscan area would be huge and the emulated screen would be really small, occupying only about 1/3th of the usual non-overscan area . The best compromise I could come up with was this 80x144 character mode (with each "character being two pixels horizontally, one using the background color and one the foreground color). That image would occupy about 80% of the usual non-overscan area (and expanded a bit horizontally. Reducing this width expansion was the reason for wanting to start with 720x480 timings, rather than 640x480 timings). Character mode has the annoying disadvantage that every other byte has to be the character code. I don't know if I can work around that by messing with the various write modes and planes and such (I haven't taken the time to digest how that works yet).

Anyway, if you've got as better idea of how to do what I'm trying to accomplish, I'm all ears! One other thing I was thinking of investigating is seeing if some hacked 256-color mode could take advantage of the fact that a 256x256 pixel canvas would take up exactly 64KB and maybe would allow wrapping back up to the top of a 64kb memory segment, sort of like in the Donkey Kong Country example shown in the video linked above. The gurus out there probably know some tricks to get closer to creating a regular graphics mode that mostly fills the screen and runs at 60hz. For example, according to this: http://www.osdever.net/FreeVGA/vga/crtcreg.htm#09, in graphics modes the Maximum Scan Line register can be used to repeat scanlines, so with the 720x480 timings, perhaps this could be used to triple each scanline (kinda like how my "short character mode" let's us fill 3 pixels height at once), getting me a step closer to a that 160x144 graphics mode. I need to experiment.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice!

Last edited by xorlof on 2023-09-28, 14:10. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 13, by ViTi95

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think VGA Mode Q is infact 256x256, and uses the whole 64kb window http://swag.outpostbbs.net/EGAVGA/0175.PAS.html

Also you can try Tweak, this is a tool that maybe can help you creating the resolution you want:

Filename
vgatweak.zip
File size
178.65 KiB
Downloads
52 downloads
File comment
VGA Tweak
File license
CC-BY-4.0

https://www.youtube.com/@viti95

Reply 2 of 13, by xorlof

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, I will play around with the tool. Yes, Mode Q does do that, but if I change it to only show a 160x144 window while in that resolution (using the same number of scanlines and horizontal pixel counts), it will only use a small part of the screen. The strange character mode idea was a way to:

1) mostly fill the screen (understanding that the gameboy aspect ratio is 10:9, not 4:3, so you'll never fill all of the screen without a huge stretch),
2) be able to window the 160x144 pixel output within a larger 256x256 pixel buffer, and
3) limit the number of bytes I have to write to vram. Writing 1 byte populates the colors for two of my "gameboy pixels", each of which fills 12 (4x3) of the "onscreen 720x480 pixels" (if I can use that term loosely), which is very efficient in terms of bytes I have to copy around.

Reply 3 of 13, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So you want a 256x256 pixel buffer, using a character mode which represents two gameboy pixels using one (8x3) character? That would mean a 128x256 text mode. Isn't there only a 32KB memory area available for text modes? At 0xB800 segment?

Since the gameboy has only 4 gray levels, I bet you could also pack 4 gameboy pixels into (the color attribute byte of) one character.

BTW, I'm not sure how having the oversized 256x256 buffer would help with emulator performance, since that suggests that you are going to render things that are outside the visible area. Doesn't seem worth the time.

again another retro game on itch: https://90soft90.itch.io/shmup-salad

Reply 4 of 13, by ViTi95

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bakemono wrote on 2023-09-15, 20:41:

...Isn't there only a 32KB memory area available for text modes? At 0xB800 segment?

Yep, only 32kb is available for text modes. The maximum tweaked resolution for VGA cards on text mode is 80x200 (using half-width characters, 160x200)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfxqMl9hmYc

https://www.youtube.com/@viti95

Reply 5 of 13, by xorlof

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the replies.

The buffer is only the memory buffer. Only a portion of it is displayed so I don't need a 128x256 text mode. As I mentioned, I would use the offset and start address registers to tell the hardware what parts of the memory segment to display. "Back in the day " (~1994), I'm pretty sure I remember doing similar tricks in text mode. You can pan both directions within a continuous memory buffer. This can't be new ground... (several searches later) ...have a look at this link, which describes what Commander Keen did, complete with diagrams. https://fabiensanglard.net/ega/ I'm talking about a similar technique, just using a character mode and the performance reasons for doing it are the same as for Commander Keen and match very well with the gameboy's design. The reason for the character mode is to be able to write two large "pixels" with 1 byte. If we can switch out of odd/even addressing mode when in text mode (?), we might be able to just write the colors and ignore the character codes (after they've been properly initialized).

As far as packing 4 pixels per byte--that would be great, if we were in a 4 color mode, but we're in 16 color mode...which brings up another way I thought about tackling this. That would be trying to create a tweaked graphics mode, starting with 320x200x4color cga compatible, keeping the 4 color mode, but switching to 360x240 timings (480 line mode vs 400) which then gets us down to the desirable 60hz, and then trying the line tripling trick I mentioned above to get down to 160 lines, and then (which was my central question about tweaking overscans) making the overscan larger to get to 320x144 addressable pixels. Each 2-bit gameboy pixel would have to be written twice so we don't end up with a (very narrow output) to get to 160x144, but we still end up with being able to do 2 pixels per byte. The end result should look identical to my proposed character example. I just don't know if either of these is feasible. I can test and find out, but thought I would first consult with y'all to speed up the process in case I'm missing something obvious.

That's a good point that text modes only have a 32kb segment. I'm not sure if that can be overcome (another experiment to run with the Memory Map Select register), but maybe (?)...

>The maximum tweaked resolution for VGA cards on text mode is 80x200 (using half-width characters, 160x200)
I have a guess that that isn't perfectly accurate. If you started with timings for an 80x60 mode and decreased the character height to 2 pixels high, you'd be able to put out 204 lines before running out of memory, no? Absent being able to increase vertical overscan, I don't know if the hardware would wrap back around and repeat what was at the top of the screen or what, but that'll be another fun experiment!

Reply 6 of 13, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For the 4-color issue, all I can think of are custom 8x8 textmode chars for 33%/66% dithered/filled in all possible 2x2 combinations per char for every 2x2 pixels of a GB buffer all on an extended text mode

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 7 of 13, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bakemono wrote on 2023-09-15, 20:41:

Isn't there only a 32KB memory area available for text modes? At 0xB800 segment?

The selection of text/graphics mode is independent of the selection of the memory window. You can configure an EGA/VGA card to have a 128K address window which can be completely used for character/attribute bytes, using the complete plane 0 (64KB) for character codes and the complete plane 1 (another 64K) for attribute codes. The processor sees a linear 128K area if interleaved character/attribute codes as usual.

leileilol wrote on 2023-09-15, 23:40:

For the 4-color issue, all I can think of are custom 8x8 textmode chars for 33%/66% dithered/filled in all possible 2x2 combinations per char for every 2x2 pixels of a GB buffer all on an extended text mode

There is another hack that should work on a lot of classic VGA cards, maybe less well on newer SVGA cards: You can switch the attribute into 256-color mode, but keep the remaining part of the graphics card set to text mode. It will then take 2 text mode pixels (each having one of 16 color values) and combine them into one 8-bit value to index the DAC, which creates a way to generate 4 pixels of 4 colors instead of 8 pixels of two colors from a single character. The most prominent issue with this approach is that it depends on the VGA chipset, whether the low nibble or the high nibble of the 256-color value is determined from the left pixel.

Reply 8 of 13, by Calvero

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ViTi95 wrote on 2023-09-15, 16:28:

Also you can try Tweak, this is a tool that maybe can help you creating the resolution you want:
vgatweak.zip

Attached are some Tweak16b files for 160xYYY graphics modes. It includes a 160x144 mode.

I didn't create these files and I can't remember where I downloaded these files from, so use at your own risk.

Attachments

• Filename
    160.zip
    File size
    1.22 KiB
    Downloads
    40 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 9 of 13, by xorlof

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mkarcher wrote on 2023-09-16, 07:30:

The selection of text/graphics mode is independent of the selection of the memory window. You can configure an EGA/VGA card to have a 128K address window which can be completely used for character/attribute bytes, using the complete plane 0 (64KB) for character codes and the complete plane 1 (another 64K) for attribute codes. The processor sees a linear 128K area if interleaved character/attribute codes as usual.

Good to get confirmation on that. Any chance that you can further confirm if there is a suitable addressing mode resulting in a continuous memory block of just the character attributes? (not odd-even addressing). The thought is that for my application, I just need to have the entire screen filled with one character (the one that is split into left/right halves of foreground-only/background-only). After I've filled the screen with that character, I never need to touch that memory and the only memory I need to be working with are the colors, so there are obvious advantages if they're available in a continuous block.

There is another hack that should work on a lot of classic VGA cards, maybe less well on newer SVGA cards: You can switch the attribute into 256-color mode, but keep the remaining part of the graphics card set to text mode. It will then take 2 text mode pixels (each having one of 16 color values) and combine them into one 8-bit value to index the DAC, which creates a way to generate 4 pixels of 4 colors instead of 8 pixels of two colors from a single character. The most prominent issue with this approach is that it depends on the VGA chipset, whether the low nibble or the high nibble of the 256-color value is determined from the left pixel.

Controlling 4 pixels of 4 colors would be ideal for the 4-color (grayscale) gameboy! Can you point me to more information on this? I'm not following exactly how that could work. I obviously understand how you can pack 4 sets of 4 colors into the 8 bits, but I don't know how, within a text mode, those could get spread out into 4 different regions. The character just has foreground and background, unless the behavior of how the character pattern is somehow affected or those colors somehow are used on two different character patterns. (?)

Calvero wrote on 2023-09-17, 14:14:
ViTi95 wrote on 2023-09-15, 16:28:

Also you can try Tweak, this is a tool that maybe can help you creating the resolution you want: vgatweak.zip

Attached are some Tweak16b files for 160xYYY graphics modes. It includes a 160x144 mode. I didn't create these files and I can't remember where I downloaded these files from, so use at your own risk.

Great! This week, I will pull out some early PS/2s and try experimenting on real hardware to confirm operation. And then I will see if I can tweak that even further (since ideally the 160 pixels would be the programmed logically width but wouldn't fill the entire available physical width since the gameboy aspect ratio is much closer to square than a regular monitor).

Reply 10 of 13, by xorlof

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote on 2023-09-15, 23:40:

That might work, but I am hoping to avoid dithering to have a more authentic look. It would be cool to try out sometime just to see how such a thing might look. I definitely have an appreciation for some of those old mac 1-bit dithered images. 😀

Reply 11 of 13, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xorlof wrote on 2023-09-17, 15:11:

Good to get confirmation on that. Any chance that you can further confirm if there is a suitable addressing mode resulting in a continuous memory block of just the character attributes? (not odd-even addressing).

That's perfectly possible. The text mode hardware of the EGA/VGA card works by having all character codes in plane 0 and all attribute codes in plane 1.

• Odd/Even mode (the default addressing mode for text mode) uses the lowest CPU address bit to toggle between planes 0 and 1, which is something you do not want. So you need to disable odd/even mode. If I remember correctly, there are two or three bits in different sections of the EGA/VGA cards dealing with odd/even mode, so set them all to "odd/even disabled".
  • After disabling odd/even mode, ensure that you only interact with plane 1 by setting the read plane select register in the graphics controller to "plane 1", and the write mask register in the timing sequencer to "plane 1 only".
  • As Odd/Even mode keeps the higher address bits as they are, in odd/even mode, the first character (CPU address zero) gets written to plane 0, address 0 and the first attribute (CPU address 1) byte gets written to plane 1, address 0. The second second character (CPU address 2) gets written to plane 0, address 2. Plane 0, address 1 is not used until you go 128K. After you disabled odd/even mode, you get to see all bytes in plane 0 or plane 1, so you need to disable the mode of the CRTC that causes every other byte to be skipped. This mode is called "word mode", and for your purpose, you need to reconfigure the CRTC to "byte mode".
  • To get easy access to all 64K attributes at the same time, configure the card to use the A000-AFFF memory window.

Controlling 4 pixels of 4 colors would be ideal for the 4-color (grayscale) gameboy! Can you point me to more information on this?

I don't know any good write-up about this. The idea is to "hack" the data processing pipeline of the EGA/VGA card. The pipeline for text modes works like this:

1. (this is text mode specific) Planes 0&1 are accessed at the current screen location to retrieve the character and attribute code to display. Then Plane 2 is accessed at the location combined from the currently selected character set, the character code retrieved in the previous step and the current scan line counter, to get the required 8 bits to chose between foreground and background for 8 pixels.
  2. (again text mode specific) The attribute bits retrieved from plane 1 and the character data retrieved from plane 2 are used by the graphics controller to generate a series of 8 (or 9) 4-bit values which are sent to the attribute controller. Each of these 4-bit values is either the foreground color or the background color.
  3. (now text and graphics mode work alike, but this step is different in 256-color mode) Each 4-bit value received by the attribute controller is used as an index into the EGA palette registers and converted into a 6-bit color code, which is extended by another 2 fixed programmable bits (0 by default) to generate an 8-bit value, which is sent to the RAMDAC.
  4. The RAMDAC uses this 8-bit value is used to look up one out of 262144 colors, and that color is sent to the monitor as analog signal.

In 256-color graphics mode, the pipeline works like this:

1. (common to all graphics modes) all four planes are fetched at the current address to retrieve 32 bits of pixel data (4 pixels of 256 colors)
  2. (order of bits specific to 256-color graphics mode) the 32 bits of pixel data is split by the graphics controller into eight pieces of 4 bits each, containing the upper nibble and the lower nibble of the color number of one pixel one after the other to the attribute controller.
  3. Each two 4-bit values received by the attribute controller are combined into one 8-bit value, which is sent to the RAMDAC.
  4. The RAMDAC uses this 8-bit value is used to look up one out of 262144 colors, and that color is sent to the monitor as analog signal.

As you see, step 4 is the same in both text mode and 256-color mode. The idea to get "4-color text mode" is to splice step 3 of the 256-color mode as replacement step 3 into the text-mode pipeline. You should first ensure that you don't run in a 9-pixel text mode. You select which step 3 is used in this pipeline by setting or clearing bit 6 of attribute controller register 0x10. This means that every two pixels generated from the character display step 2 are combined into one DAC index in step 3. For example, if you have a character with blue background (color 1) and black foreground (color 0), this will make colors 0/0 = 0, 0/1 = 1, 1/0 = 16 and 1/1 = 17 accessible. The downside of this approach is that the 256-color step 3 is only meant to be used with the 256-color graphics step 2, which is selected by setting bit 6 in the graphics controller register 5. For normal hardware operation of the VGA hardware, it doesn't matter whether the graphics controller sends the low 4 bits of the 256-color pixel value first, or it sends the high four bits first, as long as the attribute controller combines them in the correct order. The last time I mentioned the idea of cross-combining a serialization mode (step 2) aimed at 16 colors and the attribute controller mode designed for 256 colors (or the other way around), some VGA expert here on VOGONs pointed out that both orders are implemented in VGA-compatible hardware by different vendors.

More modern SVGA chipsets may not have this "4-bit bottleneck" anymore, and pass 256-color pixels in 256-color modes using one 8-bit channel instead the the classic EGA-type 4-bit channel. This hack will not work on this kind of card.

Reply 12 of 13, by xorlof

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mkarcher wrote on 2023-09-17, 16:56:

That's perfectly possible. The text mode hardware of the EGA/VGA card works by having all character codes in plane 0 and all attribute codes in plane 1.

(detailed response snipped)

mkarcher wrote on 2023-09-17, 16:56:

Controlling 4 pixels of 4 colors would be ideal for the 4-color (grayscale) gameboy! Can you point me to more information on this?

I don't know any good write-up about this. The idea is to "hack" the data processing pipeline of the EGA/VGA card. The pipeline for text modes works like this:

(another amazing response snipped)

Perfect, thank you for your expertise. If I end up using this 2-bit-in-character-mode technique and doing a writeup, do I credit it as an mkarcher-original? 😀

Reply 13 of 13, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xorlof wrote on 2023-09-18, 14:31:

Perfect, thank you for your expertise. If I end up using this 2-bit-in-character-mode technique and doing a writeup, do I credit it as an mkarcher-original? 😀

You may credit this as "based on an a idea suggested by Michael Karcher", but I am definitely not the only one who thought of it. Nevertheless, I am the one who explained the idea to you, so crediting it that way seems fair.