VOGONS

First post, by Renaissance 2K

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, everyone.

I just finished a playthrough of the DOS + 3Dfx version of Tomb Raider on my retro build, which is a circa 98/2000 machine that I added a MS-DOS 6.22 partition to for good measure. I have the build details at the end of the post, in case they're relevant.

At the advice of the Voodoo 2 compatibility matrix here, I was using the 3Dfx patch from the Tomb Raider Gold disk plus the RUNME.BAT, without which the game would look completely blue.

When the game worked, it worked brilliantly. Graphics were crisp, smoothing looked great, and the game never destabilized over time. I even left it running overnight by accident and picked up where I left off the following morning without a hitch. Most of the time, though, I'd run the game and see a distorted screen after reaching the menu, or my monitor would go into power-save mode during the logos. I reconnected cables, removed unrelated expansion cards, dropped from SLI down to a single Voodoo 2 card, and even bought a new 3Dfx passthrough cable and PCB SLI bridge (which was DOA). Nothing worked.

The only thing that seemed to work literally 100% of the time was reseating the 3Dfx card. Reseat, as in disconnect the monitor and passthrough cable, physically remove the Voodoo card from the chassis, re-insert it into the same spot, and reconnect everything. The game would start without a hitch for a flawless game session. 24 hours later, I'd come back to pick up where I left off, and I'd get the same distorted/blank screen until I did the reseat ritual again, after which the game would work.

Why the heck does this work?

This feels like "blowing into an NES cartridge," in that it works magically in the short term but I'm probably doing some long terms damage to the card, the PCI slot, or the motherboard by treating it like a credit card swiper. I know that some old slot connectors / cartridge slots get corroded, and inserting/removing their components can clear some of that corrosion over time, but it seems odd to me that the system would just revert back to being cranky after sitting untouched for a day. I also know that these are 20+ year old parts that haven't necessarily aged well, but again, it seems odd that this weird ritual would always work on the first try, no matter how bad things looked beforehand.

It's worth noting that I don't have any issues with 3D games in Windows. Unreal, MDK, and a couple of other Glide favorites all work perfectly on the first try without having to open anything up.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks.

Here's the full build.
  • CPU: Pentium III 1GHz
  • Motherboard: ASUS P3B-F
  • Power Supply: PC Power Cooling Silencer 370W
  • RAM: Crucial 512MB
  • Video: PNY Geforce4 Ti4600, 2 x STB Blackmagic Voodoo 2 12MB, Matrox m3D
  • Sound: Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS, Orpheus II

Reply 1 of 6, by DeathRabbit679

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm assuming you are completely removing power from the system for a few mins during the disconnect. Perhaps it's just doing that? I had a system with a bad psu, removing power completely for 10 mins or so would bring it back to life for a while until one day it didn't.

Reply 2 of 6, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Perhaps it has to do with the PIII 1 GHz CPU? For earlier DOS Glide games where the API is integrated into the executable, it is too fast that causes problems. That distorted image also occurs when using the original Voodoo Graphics card on such fast computer regardless of which Glide game is being run.

What you can at least do is to set the FSB to 66 MHz as a temporary workaround.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 3 of 6, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When i hear "Problems with my Mainboard from around 2000" i always instantly think the caps are going bad.

All of my mainbaords from this time have either exploded caps or just dont work anymore. especially the green caps with the golden letters.

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 4 of 6, by Renaissance 2K

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gmlb256 wrote on 2023-09-29, 22:38:

Perhaps it has to do with the PIII 1 GHz CPU? For earlier DOS Glide games where the API is integrated into the executable, it is too fast that causes problems. That distorted image also occurs when using the original Voodoo Graphics card on such fast computer regardless of which Glide game is being run.

So far, this has worked like a charm, even with both boards in SLI connected. Will let it marinate for a few hours and try again.

Thanks for your help.

Reply 5 of 6, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Renaissance 2K wrote on 2023-09-29, 23:52:
Gmlb256 wrote on 2023-09-29, 22:38:

So far, this has worked like a charm, even with both boards in SLI connected. Will let it marinate for a few hours and try again.

Thanks for your help.

You're welcome! 😁

I knew that your computer was fine all along given that Windows Glide games worked well with the Voodoo2 SLI setup.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS