VOGONS

Reply 20 of 29, by _StIwY_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2023-11-08, 20:00:
1) You will get blur anyway. Fast 4:3 panels practically do not exist, because 1600x1200 were all 60Hz with sample and hold, wit […]
Show full quote

Aren't those models equipped with slow panels ? ( that means trails - ghosting on fast paced games )

1) You will get blur anyway. Fast 4:3 panels practically do not exist, because 1600x1200 were all 60Hz with sample and hold, without any fancy black frame insertion.
2) All monitors of that time period have similar specs, especially if it's IPS or xVA. All within 8-16ms, depending on how they measure it and if Overdrive is enabled.
3) NEC monitors have a service menu with Overdrive option (at least late models like 1980/1990/2080/2090 and etc).

I see no trail / ghosting in my actual Philips 190S Brilliance ( but it has a TN panel 5ms rated ). Hopefully the LP2065 will behave the same, even if the panel is rated 8ms.

Reply 21 of 29, by _StIwY_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can't believe what happened this week, i was waiting for the HP LP2065, but got a 17 Samsung instead ( the seller picked the wrong monitor, but judging how bad was the packaging was, i don't trust him anymore, i bet the LP2065 is full of scratches or bad pixels, so he can keep it )

Today another bad luck episode...found a Dell 2007FP for cheap, great conditions. I turned on the monitor and......this. Looks like got some bad hit during the shipment or whatever happened, and there is this horizontal stain in the upper side.

...is that enough ? -__-" I think i'll stick with the CRT for a while....

Attachments

Reply 22 of 29, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My experience with old LCDs is that they are extraordinarily fragile compared to modern.

With proper packaging I destroyed a 14” Viewsonic lcd tv and a 17” 4:3 LCD monitor, neither were dropped just bouncing in their packaging during moving killed them.

The only way to have half a chance of shipping an old LCD is in its original packaging and even then a very small drop and you will likely get a line in the image.

Newer LCDs if it can be believed are extremely durable even compared to ones made 10 years ago.

One of my friends who worked at Best Buy a very long time claimed in 2003 at his location 20% of the LCD monitors had a broken screen of some sort straight off the truck (even with clean packaging) by 2009 that number was down to 3%.

Reply 23 of 29, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rmay635703 wrote on 2023-11-17, 23:03:

My experience with old LCDs is that they are extraordinarily fragile compared to modern.

I had a NEC AccuSync LCD51V delivered the other week (order of eBay). It was received in great condition. I have to say, it was well packaged. Reading some of the horror stories here I am glad to have received my orders in great condition over the past couple of years.

Reply 25 of 29, by elcrys

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have Fujitsu-Siemens P19-2 (19" 1280x1024, S-PVA), bought new back in the day and it's very good for DOS games. It can do 70Hz without frame skipping and a response time has a good characteristic (not very fast, but no smearing). You can set a sharpness of VGA input and scaling is very nice. Viewing angles are perfect. The only downside is 5:4 aspect ratio.
For a long time I was looking for a larger variant of this LCD , model P20-2 (1600x1200, 4:3), after I finally got it I was disappointed. It has all the features of the P19-2, but there is one significant difference - a huge input lag, according to my measurements around 40 - 50 ms. I could feel it immediately on the mouse movement. So this is another thing to be aware of. I was never able to find another 1600x1200 LCD with a confirmed low input lag.
What I can recommend on the other hand are the late AOC panels with VGA input (e.g. AOC Q3279VWFD8, 2560x1440/IPS). Extensive scaling options in the menu (including 4:3 in different virtual sizes), no frameskipping, fast response time. The only downside is the sharpness, it's adjustable, but the steps are too large - it's either a little bit soft, or a little bit over-sharpened.

Reply 26 of 29, by Dog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

One I have is a PVM-L3200. It isn’t 4:3 but was made for the transition from CRTs to LCDs. It can accept BNC (with appropriate expansion card), DVI-D, and HDMI. It can operate at 120hz and was designed to accurately handle 4:3 content as well as 1080p. However as a production monitor it will be hard to find, probably expensive when you do, and is heavy at about 60 pounds. It’s at least worth keeping an eye out for it. It gives a great picture, but is not the most user or budget friendly option.

Reply 28 of 29, by phantasia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I went with an AOC modern monitor with VGA inputs. Can also use it for work with my Mac as it also has DP and HDMI.
LCD Recommendation

Working wonders, no more messing with scalers or converters or anything.

Reply 29 of 29, by cde

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi phantasia, do you mind providing the exact model of the AOC monitor you bought?

I personally use the G2590PX as mentioned before, has VGA input, is 70 Hz capable and has several 4:3 options (as well as the rare 1:1 option). It's no longer sold but can be found used.

EDIT: it's the AOC 24G2SPAE. 165 Hz IPS, which is nice (mine is 144 Hz TN).